RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Los Angeles Station Parking Lot all torn up

Author Topic: Los Angeles Station Parking Lot all torn up
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard there was construction going on...I didn't know the whole parking lot is torn up! There is still a small lot with a max. of 3 hours. Everything else is dirt!

I usually park outside, on the upper level, near where the Gold Line platforms are.

Today I had to park underground, near the MTA HQ building. At least it was cheaper ... only $6.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condos are going in where the old parking lot was and a four or five story office building is going up in front of the station. It's sad to see this happening since it will visually impact a pretty amazing looking building. My understanding is that the company that owns the terminal and the land around it can do pretty much whatever they want with it.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so you seen it to, eh

if you need parking, than go to the Amtrak underground parking its accessable from the Station

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the parking after asking the attendant at the short-term lot.

All this new construction will hide the station. Same thing happened in San Diego, where the station is now partly hidden by large buildings nearby.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the many reasons I'm glad to live in Santa Barbara is that the city became very actively involved in the restoration of our 1905 Southern Pacific station and the area around it. The gardens have been restored to pretty much the way they would have been in that era. And, yes, the color of the building is authentic. Parking is run by the city with the first 75 minutes free. My usual experience after a day trip to Los Angeles is that the parking folks just lift the arm for me. Easier than trying to figure out the Amtrak validation, etc.

Just an FYI for anyone visiting Santa Barbara with a car, which you really don't need (see another posting here about "Car-Free" Santa Barbara or pick up the brochure in the station), is that there are city parking lots/stuctures in just about every block downtown on either side of State Street with free parking for the first 75 minutes.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socalsteve
Member # 2406

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for socalsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
One of the many reasons I'm glad to live in Santa Barbara is that the city became very actively involved in the restoration of our 1905 Southern Pacific station and the area around it.

There are TONS of good reasons to live in Santa Barbara--I just wish I was back there!

SBHS Class of '77--Go Dons!

Posts: 5 | From: Corona, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Where did you go to Junior High, Steve? I taught at La Cumbre for 35 years. Retired 2 years ago and finally have the time to fully enjoy travel! I'm always really happy, though, to be able to come back here.

Frank in SBA

socalsteve
Member # 2406

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for socalsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Where did you go to Junior High, Steve? I taught at La Cumbre for 35 years.

Sorry, I was a SBJHS guy--went to the old Jefferson Elementary School.

Posts: 5 | From: Corona, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page