RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Diner Use by Coach Passengers

Author Topic: Diner Use by Coach Passengers
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I types this message up once already and for whatever reason it didn't submit properly....so here I go again...

I was just wondering if there is always enough time for every passenger who wants to use the diner to do so. From what I understand sleeping car passengers get first choice. Will anyone who wants to eventually get seated? Due to cost its not something I'd plan on doing more than once each direction of my 28 hour in each direction trip, but I want to do it once for the experience. How can a coach passenger go about getting a reservation in the diner?

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats easy, when the conductor walks through asking if youd like a reservation, tell him/her yes, and how big a party and your first or last name

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reservations are only taken for the evening meal. Breakfast & lunch are first come - first served, sleeper or coach.
Chris

[This message has been edited by ChrisJ (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not the conductor but the Dinning Car Steward or a member of his staff who hands out dinner reservations.

Chris

[This message has been edited by chrisg (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone is right except Jonathon. It is the Stewart who ask for reservations. Also, they usually save one end of the dining room for the sleeper pax and the other end is for the coach.
Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Everyone is right except Jonathon. It is the Stewart who ask for reservations.

Not all of the stewards are named Stewart. I met a very nice one named Monique.

quote:
Also, they usually save one end of the dining room for the sleeper pax and the other end is for the coach.

As often as not, I've been directed to the far end of the diner opposite the end from which I entered. There's no consistency that I've observed.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 06-15-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree with Mr Toy there - no consistency. They will put you where there's a convenient space.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful on Breakfast and Lunch...Dinner is easy because they go to all the rooms. BUT since your in coach you may have to go there.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your train leaves near the dinner hour, (e.g. the Silver Meteor leaves at 7PM) and you are in coach, forget about dinner in the diner for that evening. They will allow passengers in the sleepers eat, but by then the hour is usually so late that they shut the dining car down before other passengers will be seated. At least my experience. If you travel at a peak time in coach and the train is crowded, ignore the message from the dining car steward about dinner seatings at "5PM, 7PM, or 9PM" - the sleeping car passengers will have long ago snatched up 5 and 7. Expect your only choice to be 9PM. Again, my experience. Finally, they don't segregate passengers by coach or sleeper on eastern trains (Silver Star/Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, or Cardinal) since there is only one dining room that seats either 40 or 48, depending on how it's configured. If you are alone, expect to be seated with strangers. (This is one of the best parts about traveling by train in my opinion.) And dining car food is far better than what you get in the lounge.
When you consider that meals are included in the price of a sleeper, it can often justify the price, especially if there are two of you traveling together.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page