RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Diner Use by Coach Passengers

Author Topic: Diner Use by Coach Passengers
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies for the double post. I was trying to go back to the main forum page and when it didn't reappear I hit "refresh." Unfortunately I refreshed the page that submitted the topic.

Well I typed this message up once already and for whatever reason it didn't submit properly....so here I go again...

I was just wondering if there is always enough time for every passenger who wants to use the diner to do so. From what I understand sleeping car passengers get first choice. Will anyone who wants to eventually get seated? Due to cost its not something I'd plan on doing more than once each direction of my 28 hour in each direction trip, but I want to do it once for the experience. How can a coach passenger go about getting a reservation in the diner?

[This message has been edited by EmpireBuilder (edited 06-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by EmpireBuilder (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually everybody that wants to eat will be able to eat. Somebody will go through the train taking dinner reservations, starting from the sleepers, then coach, then the lounge car. You normally get a choice of 3 seatings for dinner, somwehere around 5:30, 7:00 and 8:30. There is also a last call.

Lunch is often first-come-first-served but if busy they may take your name and ask you to wait in the lounge car.

Breakfast is usually a walk-straight-in affair.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are travelling by yourself you may be able to get a seat ahead of everybody else, just to fill out a table (that seats four). But, as noted, the conductor will come around and take dinner reservations and give you a little slip of paper that confirms the time.

Don't worry, you will definitely be able to eat, even during the busiest periods, though you may have to wait a bit. What is really at issue however, is whether the diner will have enough food to go around. Sometimes certain meal offerings sell out, particularly when the train is delayed for six hours or so.

You sound frugal, so I will give you some advise. This comes from a fellow frugal coach traveller: Don't miss breakfast. For well under $10 (including tip) you can get a delicious breakfast of pancakes, french toast or a quiche, with a side of grits or hashbrowns, juice and drinkable coffee. The food is prepared with tender loving care on real plates and, at that hour when most people are asleep (around 6 a.m.) you won't be (tactfully) rushed to finish your food.

Should you require a quick fix from the cafe car, I always recommend the cheese pizza for around $3. It contains no preservatives or additives and will keep you going.

Do not order the pepperoni pizza.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been my experience that all coach passengers wanting to eat in the diner may not be accommodated. Boarding the Empire Builder westbound from Milwaukee & desiring dinner, I was informed that the dinner sessions were completely full. On a subsequent trip, same boarding but in a sleeper which was purchased immediately at departure, the attendant informed me that the dinner times were all full, but offered to bring me dinner in my complartment. Breakfast & lunch seem to be more available & certainly if you are early to the diner for breakfast there will not be a problem in seating you right away.

[This message has been edited by Grandma Judy (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the StarLATE runs full consist (3 sleepers 5 coaches), they cannot seat enough people. Diner meals are sold and brought to coach seats in bags by the coach attendants.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience it has never been a problem. Even in the pre-Superliner days when the diners were much smaller. Coach passengers get last choice, but that doesn't mean they won't have reasonable times available. Or you can always wait for the "last call" when stragglers are welcome for a limited time.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate all of your responses so far. I guess I didn't specify which train I will be traveling on, but Grandma Judy correctly assume that I will traveling on the train from which my user name comes from.

I just want the diner thing for experience, and should be traveling with enough snacks so that even if I have to get a late diner time, it should be better than none at all. However, it does worry me a bit that there are times when not everyone can get in.

I will be traveling with one other person (my grandma) so there are two of us. I assume that means we will be seated with another group of two that are traveling. How long does it take to fit in a group of two compared to one of three or four?

The idea of going to breakfast doesn't sound like a bad idea either. I'm usually not one to be awake that early, but considering that I will be traveling in coach, its not like I'll be getting 8 hours of sleep in at once anyways, so I appreciate that suggestion.

How many possible menus might we end up with? Is it just one of the three that I've found before on the Amtrak site (that I can't seem to find the link to right now)? Thanks again for your replies.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those three menus are scattered about different trains. The idea is that you won't get the same menu as you transfer from one train to another, or travel in the opposite direction on the same train.

Here's the menu link: http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/Dining_Car_Menu.r5.pdf

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EmpireBuilder,

Do try the breakfast in the diner. I have wandered in both early and late and always enjoy the breakfast food.

I have had many a breakfast alone but lunch and dinner I am always seated with others.

You should not have a problem getting seated. Most people like to chat and some are quiet.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been on many a long distance amtrak trip, and knowing alot of the crews on the Starlate and Zephyr, it depends on the LSA. Some will go out of their way to cater to all the passengers, others will just make 80% of everybody wait until "Final Call", some dont even bother to make a final call. If in coach, and nobody ever comes by IN PERSON, the LSA, to take a dinner reservation, find the conductor, and encourage other passengers to do the same. I know that sounds harsh, but its the sad truth. Dont be rash or anything towards the conductor, just inform him or her of the situation, and ask if you missed the reservations or what is happening, they are very good about setting things straight. Hope that helps.
Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Empire i sent you an e-mail
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page