RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Carry-on Lunch

Author Topic: Carry-on Lunch
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking the Empire Builder to Chicago next week, boarding at La Crosse, and changing to the Capitol in Chicago for D.C. I plan to carry on lunch and some snacks for myself and my 2 little children, as I think it will reduce commotion and also the risk of a meltdown in case the train in delayed or there is some other hitch.

People here have mentioned collapsible coolers. Where can I get one? And is it OK to bring onboard ones own, non-alcoholic beverages?

[This message has been edited by clwood (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fine to take pretty much any food or drink that's non-alcoholic, as long as you eat it at your seat. People from the south seem to take whole picnics onboard!

Not sure about collapsible coolers but some supermarkets sell coolbags, which work perfectly well for hours with an icepack inside. Failing that, take a polystyrene/styrafoam one and put it in the footwell in front of your kids, if they're young enough to not use it. Again, seen many times so you won't be alone!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although geoffm certainly has the right idea, I would take your food to the observation car (sightseer car) before you eat it. The wafting odors of somebody else's food can be as disturbing as the sound of chirping Gameboys or cell phone conversations to delicate constitutions such as mine.

As far as collapsible coolers are concerned, these things can probably be bought at a Walmart but I have found that a sturdy plastic bag containing large ziplock freezer bags full of ice work even better. Once you have eaten all your food, you can put these bags over your forehead to cool you down or help battle a raging headache. And when dehydration begins to take it's toll on your body, you can drink this melting, cold water, assuming you have preserved a certain semblance of sterility.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 06-14-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you weren't allowed to take your own food into the lounge car? I could be wrong...

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Nobody has ever batted an eyelash when I took food into the sightseer car on the Southwest Chief. Perhaps the policy is different on the other lines, but I doubt it.

As a matter of fact, I would think the cleaning crews would much rather you didn't eat your food in the coach cars. Just the thought of crumbs working their way into the upholstery, as well as drinks spilling all over the place is disheartening.

Much easier to clean the sightseer car, don't you think?

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned to UK after travelling on both the westbound Zephyr and the eastbound Empire Builder.

On both it was emphasised that personal food and drinks were NOT allowed in the lounge car but could be consumed at your coach seat or in your sleeping compartment

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure health regulations require you consume your own food at your own seat. Only Amtrak food can be eaten in the public eating areas.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recent experience on the Empire Builder was the same. No "Outside" food/drink in the Sightseer Lounge or Diner.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Confirmation of relative sanity much welcomed, thanks.

Are the seat covers removable and washable in the coach cars?

Geoff M.

Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one of these collapsable coolers on my trip and it worked great. You can get them for about $8.00 at Target. Mine was and Igloo for 24 cans.
Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I accidentally found a fold-up cooler today at Shopko while I was looking for something else. It is made by Thermos, although that is in the small print. The tag says "Glacier." It is a deep blue, multi-layer plastic-silvery sort of material. It opens out into the size of about three soft lunch boxes (just perfect for my needs) and folds up and secures with a strap. It is very light weight. They also had larger ones that had small wheels and a handle to pull it buy. Mine was $12 and the wheeled ones were $24.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
I thought you weren't allowed to take your own food into the lounge car? I could be wrong...

Geoff M.

I was on the 'California Zephyr' last week from Sacramento to Denver. The Lead Service Attendant came on the PA several times to announce that those who brought their own food on-board needed to consume that food at their seat or in their room....the space in 'his' lounge car was reserved for people who were patronizing the snack bar in 'his' lounge car. Several sleeping car passengers wondered if that meant they couldn't go to the lounge.

I think there is a policy to this effect but that enforcement varies from crew to crew.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page