RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Additional Surfliner to SLO

Author Topic: Additional Surfliner to SLO
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody know any more about the proposed early morning departure from LA to San Luis Obispo? The last I heard Amtrak were hoping for a June/July start-up subject to getting a slot from the host railroad but it seems to have gone quiet.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can partially answer my own question, as I e-mailed Amtrak and got the reply that it now isn't going to be until the Fall, but they hope to be running by Thanksgiving.
A couple of the Central Coast local newspapers are also reporting this and have published a provisional timetable.

The northbound train will leave LA at 7.30am, arriving SBA 10.10, Lompoc 11.32, Guadaloupe 12.07, Grover Beach 12.23 and SLO 12.55.

The southbound leaves SLO 1.40pm, GVB 2.00, Guadaloupe 2.16, Lompoc 2.59, SBA 4.25 and LA 7.10.

Still all provisional, though.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that Guadalupe, Mr. Williams. Guadaloupe is, I believe, an island in the Caribbean.

Will this be operated with Surfliner equipment of the older single level cars?

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to RailPAC, a set of single-level Horizon cars will make this run.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
latest word was service would start with the fall timetable change. The horizon set used will be "captive" to the run, and a trip destined south of Los Angeles will involve a train change at LAUPT.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I read somewhere on here that a full-length dome car was also going to be used in this train set? Perhaps for use by Business Class passengers?

Frank in Beautiful SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Oops...quite right, Frank....Santa Barbara to Guadaloupe by train would be some journey!

Is the Fall timetable change the last Monday in October? Just my luck if it is as I'll probably be in Santa Barbara a week and a half before that heading for Pismo, and a 10.10 am departure would have been perfect.

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it's usually around the Standard Time/Daylight Time (fall back) weekend, so it would be the Sunday instead of the Monday.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
It's confirmed to start on November 17th, dep LAX 07.30am arr SLO 12.45pm, returning from SLO at 1.40pm arr LAX 7.10pm.
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be on the first run and write a story for all to read as usual.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fubu05
Member # 465

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for fubu05   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be on 799 (17) Ventura-San Luis and train #798 (17) San Luis-Los Angeles and will then take train 796 (17) Los Angeles-San Diego for a public hearing pertaining to San Diego Trolley and San Diego bus service changes effective June 12, 2005.
Posts: 60 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page