RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Boarding a stop LATER

Author Topic: Boarding a stop LATER
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I depart California on the Chief in August, I would like some "flexibility" related to whether I board the east-bound Chief in LOS ANGELES , or FULLERTON.

Would it be a problem if I was TICKETED to board in Los Angeles, but boarded INSTEAD in Fullerton ?

It would really help if I could CHOOSE , the day I depart.

I will be traveling first-class. But I don't want my sleeper space "sold out-from-under" me, if I don't happen to show -up in Los Angeles (if I was ticketed to depart from there.)

I have never attempted to do this before.

If I COULD board in Fullerton instead, would I have to contact Amtrak personnel in Los Angeles by phone and INFORM them that I will not be boarding until Fullerton----or would that be unnecessary ?

I would feel more comfortable if I knew whay you guys think.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never try to board a stop beyond the station on your ticket. Make sure your ticket starts at Fullerton, and then if you want to board in Los Angeles you can be sure that your bedroom will not be given to someone else if Amtrak assumes you are a no-show. Last Christmas I was booked out of Ontario Calif. on the Sunset, but instead boarded in Los Angeles. There was no problem in accepting my ticket two stops prior to Ontario.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this same thing on my SWC trip. I was ticketed from LA, but I boarded at Fullerton. I called Amtrak 1-800-USARAIL the day that I departed and told them that I would be boarding in Fullerton instead of LA. They made a note on the computer printout that the conductor uses. When I got to the Fullerton station I reminded them of this and I was told by that agent that they always "save" the room for one stop.
Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this on the LSL in February, boarding in Schenectady instead of Albany on the way to Chicago. I called Amtrak to indicate that I would be doing this because the Adirondack was so late that I was in danger of missing my connection in Albany & we drove to Scheenectady instead of risking the connection. I would never try to do it without speaking personally to an agent before & getting his/her name, etc.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is similar, but in business class, when I boarded 3 stops later. From a price (fare) standpoint, there is no problem with that, just as there's no problem getting off early. And in coach or business class there's no problem. However, in business or first class it's a good idea to call and let them know so the conductor knows not to do a double stop when required nor resell your accommodations.

In my case, both the stops where I was ticketed and where I actually boarded were double stops (platform too short for one stop). The conductor (in a very friendly manner) told me how "we were looking for you" at the first stop. And, of course, at the actual boarding stop I was the only BC pax but they didn't stop and I had to board the coach and lug the suitcase all the way up. The conductor said he never gets annoyed when that happens because the lugging itself would teach the lesson!

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being fullerton is NOT a doubble stop platform in my experience, and being it is only an hour out of LA or so, most conductors dont even finish collecting tickets by the time they arrive in FUL, so it should not be a problem. Just be sure to call 1-800-USA-RAIL, speak to a human, NOT JULIE, she is totaly useless for this type of thing, and tell them that you will be boarding at FUL instead of LAX, and everything will be taken care of. Hope that helps
Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page