RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Trip is OVER! & OMG What a trip!!!

Author Topic: The Trip is OVER! & OMG What a trip!!!
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just touched down home in New Zealand after my trip of a lifetime (to me) that saw me take the SW Chief to Chicago, the LSL to Albany, NY, the Bus to Plattsburgh meeting my Formula One (motor racing) friends. We travelled from Plattsburgh to the Canadian race in Montreal on the picturesque Gilles Villeneuve circuit.

Following that we went to NYC and had a "crash tour" with a NY Lawyer/resident in a turbo Volvo, did the Empire State Building, Central Park, Strawberry Fields, Wall Street, saw the Statue of Liberty and other stuff I can't remember, (I wrote heaps down in a diary so I'll go over it for my travel logue) had a meal in a very nice restaurant.

Then we headed to Washington and saw the sights and headed into Indianapolis where we saw the Indy F1 GP!

Following that I caught the (late) Cardinal? to Chicago where I caught the (even later) SW Chief back to LA.

I see there's no mention of that train on this forum yet but the SW Chief was.... wait for it.... TWELVE HOURS LATE!!!!!!

This had something to do with a FIRE between the mail car and the staff sleeper that had to be put out with fire extinguishers. I think I caught on my camera a flash of electricity from the 3rd engine to the mail car when we turned a corner (awesome picture and pure fluke!) then the effected cars had to be shunted to the rear so power to the coaches could be restored!

Following that engine No.3 shut down cutting power but was fixed, then (could have been before) a air hose failed for the brakes and we had to stop again.

All of the previous dramas put our crew on their 12 hour limit meaning we had to stop in the middle of nowhere waiting for the new crew who arrived after a very long wait and they only had about 3-4 hours before their 12 hours was up meaning again we had to stop in nowhere city for the next crew!

Also we passed through the worst lightening storm I've EVER seen in my life with flashes ever second creating a strobe effect! WOW!!

Due to the lateness of the SW Chief into LA I arrived at LAX as my plane was recieving last call!!

A security person took my bag and hurried me through checking everything while the plane was "held" "PHEW!!"

I finally got on board to a "humourous" round of applause!!

I will do a proper travel logue when the lag wears off - believe me it will take a while as I've taken soooo many photos with my digital camera and some awesome footage of the storm (had one both ways but the one going to Chicago was the best!)

In spite of all the problems on the SW Chief to LA the crew handled themselves with a proffesionalism 2nd to none! I take my hat off to them! The food also was very good, even if we did run out Wednesday as the trip was supposed to end Wednesday morning.

This has been an awesome trip and I will advise other people here in NZ to do the SW Chief or any other rail trip as it really is a GREAT way to see one of the most beautiful countries (2nd only to NZ!!) in the world!

The "problems" were to me an addition to a great trip and looking back I totally enjoyed every moment, the good, the bad and the ugly!

I would say "Don't say God bless America, take the SW Chief and look out the windows... He already has!"

Rhett.....

[This message has been edited by Rheboi (edited 06-24-2004).]

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a great trip
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another satisfied customer! Glad you enjoyed it, and were able to patiently ride out the difficulties. I would have gotten lightheaded and cranky without food, though.

I look forward to hearing, and seeing, more. Sounds like one heck of an adventure.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief has a pretty good reputation for operating on time - of course the day that you took it, it turned out to be one of the worst Southwest Chief timekeeping days!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 10

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great that you took everything positively. You are right, everything that happened was part of your adventure. Too bad you didn't have time to come to the Fullerton station, but maybe another time. Looking forward to reading your travelogue.
Posts: 22 | From: Fullerton, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhett, glad to hear you had so much fun on your trip, my ride on the Southwest Chief in 2002 was great as well. I've learned that if you have a good crew, then despite the setbacks, you can still have a great trip. I had a ride on the LSL from Buffalo to Springfield, MA that was 5 1/2 hours late due to a CSX Speed Restriction, but it goes down as one of the best trips I've taken because of the way the crew handled things and kept everyone together. My next trip is still a few months away, can't wait!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so Definately going to have another Amtrak trip again! Maybe the Californian Zephyr!

I really could not imagine the trip being any better than it was.

One note though, I thought the sleepers in the LSL were better than the Chief as they all had their own toilet and sink and although it sounds a little gross the chemicals in the toilet meant there was no unfortunate odours in the room... worked fine. Also the showers in the chief worked very well and I had 3 on the trip, good hot water all the time.

I'm still on a high after the trip... what a way to travel!

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhett--- Glad you had a great trip. I was also on your SWC the same trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, but in a sleeper. Getting into Albuquerque, my stopping point, we were only 5 hours late. I was curious as to what transpired between ABQ & LAX that added another 7 hours, whew! All I can say is I hope you weren't w/o air conditioning out in the Arizona/California desert. Most of the passengers and crew in our car did well. Where was your exciting lightning storm? (I'm guessing the Midwest) I know there was a nice rain and lovely rainbow near Lamy. I'm glad I had a small cooler and extra food for me & my kids (something I usually take however I travel).
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Hi Chile2.

"Rhett--- Glad you had a great trip. I was also on your SWC the same trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, but in a sleeper. Getting into Albuquerque, my stopping point, we were only 5 hours late. I was curious as to what transpired between ABQ & LAX that added another 7 hours, whew!"

It's a shame we did not meet. I think the staff getting to their 12 hours before arriving at the pick-up point for the next crew meant the new crew had to be transported to the train. By the time they arrived at the train they too were close to their 12 hour limit which happened twice.

Then we were following freight trains at restricted speed. Then engine 3 died killing the a/c and had to be re-set. We were without a/c for about an hour and it got really hot!

The lightening storm I mentioned was near Dodge City I think going toward Chicago on my first trip. I also have some good video and will soon have on DVD then ready to put the really good bits on my soon to be built web site.

As for the rain around Lamy, I actually got a good photo of the rainbow. I also remember seeing one or two strikes - nothing compared to the previous trips storm.

I really did enjoy both trips but I have to say I think the single level cars on the LSL were better than the SW Chiefs sleepers.

I really hope I can do this again.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a nice trip and everything worked out. I'm in Dubuque, Iowa in the middle of my Milwaukee Road 261 trips having a blast. Take care.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page