RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » QUESTION ON TRAVELING IN BAD WEATHER

Author Topic: QUESTION ON TRAVELING IN BAD WEATHER
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know if anyone happends to know what (if any) changes are made in the trip when going through a storm?

Supposing someone was taking the Calif. Zypher from Emryville, Ca. to Chicago, Il. and the train ran into a very bad snowstorm in the middle of Utah (or mid=way through the journey).

I would like to know,

1. Does AMTRAK give the passengers advance warning of an approaching storm? If so, how much Advanced notice do they get.

2. If it is a very bad storm, does the train stop at the nearest City or Town and just wait out the storm or continues right through it.

3. Does amtrak have a certain limit (as far as wind speed is concern) that it is allowed to travel through? (Im sure that it must be VERY dangerous to be going through the Continental Devide in Colorado with winds whipping through the passes at 80 MPH or better)

I would appreciate if anyone would be able to shed some light on these questions.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tell you what their official policies are, but Amtrak tends to be very carefull when it comes to any kind of situation that might give rise to endangering passengers (and inviting lawsuits). I believe that if really severe weather conditions are predicted, they will cancel trains, or simply terminate them en route. Passengers will be offered "alternative transportation" (usually by bus), or some sort of compensation.
Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no expert on this topic, but it is my understanding that Amtrak can operate safely in weather conditions that bring highways and aviation to a standstill.

Railroads have snow blowers that keep the tracks clear, so that usually isn't an issue. I don't know about wind.

As for crossing the continental divide, the Zephyr doesn't go over the hill, it goes through it. The 6 mile long Moffatt tunnel crosses the divide, just east of Winter Park. It takes about 11 minutes to pass through the tunnel. There is a similar 4 mile tunnel at the summit in the Sierra.

I think the one weather related problem that most often affects trains is flooding.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I've been through some bad storms while on the train. Fact is the winter is my favorite time to travel. Something real special about being in a nice warm train while it's snowing outside.
You could be in for some delays, but I'd sure feel a lot safer on the train than in a car, bus or a plane in similiar weather.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan of travelling in the winter too, for that reason. I do like the more diverse landscape and longer daylight during the summer, but I enjoy the winter for the same reasons as reggie.

But back to the original question, I'm not an expert like the other guys here, but I'd have to agree with Mr. Toy. Trains aren't stopped by the snow for that reason that they're much easier to keep clear than the roads are. Sometimes signals and switches freeze up, but they're able to deal with that easier than say- plowing a three lane interstate. An avalanche would cause a problem for a passenger train, and as mentioned flooding seems to be more of a problem than snow.

Windwise, I doubt that's a concern, because remember how many tons each superliner weighs, then multiply that by however many cars, add 2 engines, express cargo in the rear.. all that tonnage isn't easily tipped over, especially with the low center of gravity on those train cars.

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One follow-on comment:

The single worst place for wind on the CZ was actually accounted for years ago.

Climbing the Front Range out of Denver, enroute to Moffatt Tunnel, there are a couple of S-curve sets where the Denver and Rio Grande Western grounded hopper cars, then filled them with dirt, to make a windbreak.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks for your answer regarding the rail hoppers adjacent to the track outside Denver at the commencement of the ascending for the west bound journey of the California Zephyr. I have travelled that route several times & I always wondered why those trucks were there. Mike in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The west-bound Empire Builder has occasionally been annulled at Minneapolis in the winter due to bad weather further west. I have been in Chicago when passengers were being warned via the PA system that the train would not go beyond Minneapolis & they may want to make other plans. I don't know what Amtrak's policy would be if you had a ticket to Seattle & the train was going no further than MSP. By announcing it before the train even leaves its starting point, would they be saying that travel that day is not available & if you go as far as MSP, you're on your own from there? I'd like to take a winter trip sometime, but I would like to know what would happen in a case like that.
Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Chief
Member # 665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just took a trip on the Southwest Chief through snow in the Flagstaff Arizona area. I picked up on my scanner that the engineer wanted to go through the rail detectors at 30 mph. Other than the slow running for the detectors, the train plowed through the snow right on time. Actually it was ahead of schedule, a first for me on the Chief!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also traveled through a Northern AZ snow storm. I love it when the sky turns pink and you can see the flakes in the head/ditch lights of the lead locomotive. It's an enjoyable experience.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind going by train during the winter. The whole experience is taking wahtever comes your way. Think about the airlines when they have bad weather. So as long as the train is safe I don't really care when I get to where I'm going. I am prepared for late arrivals. And I suggest you take a cellphone with you incase you need to reschedule other portions of your trip due to weather.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a drive I took in AZ with an operations superintendent for BNSF, the wind was blowing fairly strong, and he called an operations supervisor to let her know. A BNSF policy is to slow the trains down if the wind reaches BNSF's established threshold wind speed. Even though the trains weigh a lot, the wind can sometimes knock containers right off, although it is a fairly rare occurence.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't railroads have High Wind Detectors, in addition to DEDs and hotbox detectors.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are going to have wind problems, the first type of equipment that will be affected will be the double stack containers, particularly when the containers are lightly loaded or empty. The top of the top container is about 20 feet above the rail while the top of the superliner is between 16 and 17 feet, I do not recall exactly. Also, containers are rectangular, not rounded. This is significant, as the rounding reduces the effects of side winds. Therefore, if the container trains can make it, the passenger trains will have no problems.

As to things like washouts, the first train over is the train out of luck. However, railroad coaches are far stronger than busses, so even if you do go off the rails, it is generally not that likely to be fatal or even result in severe injuries.

[This message has been edited by George Harris (edited 01-23-2005).]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page