RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Too much? Too late!

Author Topic: Too much? Too late!
geojon
Member # 3344

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for geojon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I have never travelled on Amtrak, but decided to give it a try. We'll be going from Columbia SC to Sacramento CA and back over a period of about 3 weeks.

Guess we should have dipped our toes in first with a shorter run, but here's what we booked (sleeper type in parentheses):

8/5 Train 91 - Silver Star CLB to JAX (standard)
8/5 Train 1 - Sunset Limited JAX to HOS (deluxe)

8/6 - 8/9 layover HOS

8/9 Train 1 - Sunset Limited HOS to LAX (deluxe)

8/11 layover LAX

8/12 Train 14 - Coast Starlight LAX to SAC (standard)

8/13-8/22 layover SAC

Then the marathon return:

8/22 Train 6 - California Zephyr SAC to CHI (deluxe)
8/24 Train 30 - Capitol Limited CHI to WAS (deluxe)
8/25 Train 91 - WAS to CLB (standard)

and back home on the 26th.

We tried to break up the travel into shorter segments where it was practical. We had no reason to stay overnight in LA, but given the SL's unbelievably bad ontime record, I was pretty sure we'd miss the connection and the great views of the California coast even with a "guaranteed connection". So I added a layover in Los Angeles as insurance.

Like I said in the title, it's probably too late to change much, but did us newbies make any bad mistakes in this routing? I mean, in addition to probably trying too much for a first trip?

I'm a little concerned about the Chicago connection, but I guess I really don't mind if we get bussed for the first part of the Capitol Limited route. By then we're going to be pretty anxious to get home again anyway, so laying over would probably make us feel anxious to be on the road again. Still, would you advise a Chicago or DC layover?

We're trying this because my wife absolutely hates planes (and the fact that we were in the air over Chicago when 9/11 happened hasn't improved her view of the airborne cattle cars), so my chief aim is to give her as pleasant a trip as I can possibly arrange.

We've read most of the available books in the library and the Amtrak travel tips at a couple of the websites. Still any advice for first timers on the long distance trains would be appreciated.

I'll be glad to post a trip report at the end if you are interested in how our "coast to coast marathon" works out. Just tell me what y'all are interested in hearing about (crews, schedule keeping, equipment, ????) and I'll try to observe as much as I can and keep notes.

Geojon & spouse

Posts: 7 | From: Columbia SC | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the best pre-trip education, spend a bit of quality time digging through the archives of this forum.

Use the drop-down box ("Show topics from. . .") located near the top of the Amtrak thread page. Try the search feature, too.

It's a safe bet that any question you'll have regarding rail travel has been discussed (sometimes fifteen or sixteen times) by the members of this board.

P.S. As long as you and your wife aren't expecting the Orient Express, you'll find traveling on Amtrak perfectly comfortable. There's no better way to see America.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds great - assume you have family or something in houston? New orleans is a nicer layover. Los Angeles layover is almost mandatory. Chicago runthru should be fine barring major snafu's.

Have done many trips with wife and mother in law. 3-4 nites on train consecutive are no problem - Have done LA - Bos via Jax, Montreal-SAS via Chi, New Orleans-Seattle via CHI, LA-Wash DC via Portland/Chicago - never a problem or complaint from the ladies (no, they are NOT railfans)

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geojon
Member # 3344

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for geojon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep, friends in Houston and family in Sacramento & San Luis Obispo area.

We'd sure be out of place if it was the Orient Express!!! We're figuring on packing very light since we'll be able to do laundry every few days except on the way home. I've been noting down ideas of things to bring along ranging from a little duck tape and wire to an extension cord, but I'll probably strip that to the minimum too so we can get by with just 2 gym bags and a roll-on between us. So there won't be any suits and ties, maybe we'll bring our dress jeans though.

I've done some looking in the old messages. I'm hoping to avoid the worst horror stories I've read here and elsewhere. Of course that depends on the luck of the draw on crews, Union Pacific, the folks who run the railroad, and whether we run into really nasty weather.

The only firm schedule is that we have to be in the San Luis area by the 14th and we've got a day in hand for that. The current plan is to get off the train (letting the conductor know of course) and meet with the family at San Luis on 8/12 rather than continuing all the way to Sacramento that day, then drive up with family to Sacramento early in the following week. We'll miss a little of the scenery that way, but we should still see a good bit of the coast up to Santa Barbara - I've always enjoyed the drive up 101 from LA to SB anyway and this way I can look at the view instead of watching the road.

I'll prowl around the archives some more for ideas of what to take/not take/do/not do on board.

Thanks for the connection reassurances.

It should be a lot of fun - at least that's the plan.

geojon

PS pismobum - assume you live near Pismo Beach with that handle. We'll be travelling back and forth from San Luis to Pismo to Santa Maria whiile we're out California way. Pismo has been one of my favorite places since I was a toddler.
j

[This message has been edited by geojon (edited 07-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by geojon (edited 07-07-2004).]

Posts: 7 | From: Columbia SC | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A trip of that length could be tiring. The first night or two you may have some trouble sleeping, as it is an unusual feeling. Plus you may be tempted to look out the window all night, curious about where you are.

My wife gave the best sleeping advice. Don't try to fight the motion when you lie down. Relax and roll with it. If you can't sleep, just close your eyes, blank you mind and listen to the new sounds.

After you've done a few nights, though, you'll sleep just fine.

It would be a good idea to carry some snacks in case the train is very late and runs low on food.

Speaking of late, #14 has been getting into Sacramento between 1:00am and 2:00am. Sometimes later. Make sure your hotel knows you will be arriving very late.

You'll love the California Zephyr. Take lots of film (or digital memory cards) for that leg.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 07-08-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good forethought in planning an overnight layover in Los Angeles. The connection from #2 to #14 is very rarely made on the same day. With a trip of this magnitude just planning to stay over in Los Angeles is the better option I think.

If you are staying in a hotel in Sacramento (doubtful since you're visiting there) I'd suggest the Vagabond Inn Executive in downtown Sacramento.......it's clean, reasonably priced, and only a couple of hundred yards from the train station....a nice sight when arriving late at night after a long trip.

Also, if you have any interest in railroads at all (and by planning this trip you do) I'd allow at least half a day in Sacramento to visit the California State Railroad Museum. It's one of the better ones in the United States.

Finally, Chicago Union Station can be a crazy place during the summer months. If the CZ is near on-time you'll see crowds of tired and stressed, transcontinental passengers being dodged by hordes of afternoon rush commuters (if on a weekday). Make use of the first class lounge in Chicago. You'll find complimentary snacks and a place to stow your luggage between trains.......that way you can enjoy exploring the station and area a little WITHOUT being encumbered......easier to dodge the commuters without luggage in hand as well.

Enjoy your trip.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page