RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody been on the Sunset Limited that was on time in either direction?

Author Topic: Anybody been on the Sunset Limited that was on time in either direction?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody been on the Sunset Limited when it arrived on time in either direction? I have (ten years ago!). Whatever, it was fun to listen to the mariachi band on the platform in El Paso at 3pm while the train stayed for 1 hour. A high-point in the trip east! Also, the 3 hour layover in New Orleans was fun--walked the river walk at 9pm, etc. Try it, you'll like it!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, me, too. May of 2002 went from Lake City, Florida to LAX and arrived 10 minutes late. Not bad!
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah!!!! We went from LA to Palatka, Florida and arrived ON TIME! It was a mighty nice ride.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be able to catch #2 in Tallahassee and ride downstate knowing it would be fairly close to schedule. For the past 3 or so years, I have avoided #2 and only used #1 coming back home. My lone experience with #2 in that time was earlier this week as noted in earlier posts, 14 hours late. Passengers should be issued a calendar instead of a timetable.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, virtually on time. We left LA about half hour late because of a late inbound Starlight. We then lost a little time at El Paso, but by the time it left San Antonio (where I disembarked) it was on time! This was just 2 years ago.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure I've ridden the Sunset when it has been on time into LAX -- during the 80's. The first couple years they had the California-Florida through service, it was usually within 2-3 hours at Orlando, if not on time.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1996 we were actually 30 min. early into LA on #1 !!! That was back when a connection to the Coast Starlight #14 was possible. and the Southwest Chief #4 for that matter. Couldn't do that lately. Those were the good ol days!! We use to gripe because it was 1 or 2 hours late, now we dream of it being 1 or 2 hours late.
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a Zephyr that was on time once. I'm a cursed traveler, you don't want me on your train because it will be at least an hour late.

Even when I *shudder* fly, the plane will be late. Once we land at La Guardia five minutes early, and promptly wait a half hour for a gate because of bad weather.

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and no.

In July 2002 I was on #2 on-time from Los Angeles to Tucson. On-board services were great. The food was good, the service was fast, and the crew was pleasant.

Then the freight congestion started. At one point around lunch time we were held stationary for nearly an hour while four freights also heading east overtook us.

We approached the El Paso station 90 minutes late, passed the depot, and continued to the yard and were turned on the wye. While this was going on we were being told of a UP derailment east of El Paso and that our train was being annulled in El Paso......the rest of the story is another story but I find it ironic that the one time (in 6 tries) that I've been aboard an on-time Sunset, the train never reached it's destination!

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 07-25-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<annulled>

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 07-24-2004).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page