RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Was there a Derailment at the Grade Crossing near Workman Mill road in Whittier???

Author Topic: Was there a Derailment at the Grade Crossing near Workman Mill road in Whittier???
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While wondering the Tracks, I useualy find stuff that falls off Trains, but latly, I've been finding stuff that dosnt just "Fall Off", like the box at the end with the blinking lite, and also a Coupler!, not just a piece of a couple, but the whole thing, and cracked and damaged realy bad, like it was smashed off, any Ideas, sound like an accident of some sort,

-Thank You-

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO TRESPASSING !!!!
thats how you can get killed or arrested if you are lucky

[This message has been edited by boyishcolt (edited 07-26-2004).]

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry - he was "wondering", not wandering. . .
That spell checker won't help you there!

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What spell checker?

Broken couplings happen all the time. Most likely just snapped. There are ways to tell if a derailment occurred. Without trespassing, and in safety, look at the ties and tell us what you see.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon:

Since you are still alive, I assume you either know how to keep yourself from being hit by a train or else are incredibally lucky, and I really do not believe in luck. Yes, you should stay off the track, but since you probably won't, here are the few basic rules some from others and some my own for staying alive while on the track.

1. Always expect a train to be coming at any time from either direction, moving at or in excess of the maximum allowed speed.

2. Do not depend upon your ears to warn you of trains. They can be surprisingly hard to hear if there is any amount of background noise or wind toward the train.

3. Keep a continuous awareness of means of escape from the track.

4. Don't mess with switch points, switch stands, etc. Never place any part of your body between the switch point and the stock rail of a power switch. If you get a shoe caught, get out of it. It is better to lose a shoe than your life.

5. If caught close to the track, lie outside the track and as down as far from the rail and a low as you can get, parallel to the track with your FEET toward the train. It is better to lose your foot from some draggin object than your head. If this means lying in mud or garbage, do it. It is better to be dirty and alive. Drunks may occasionally survive lying between the rails. Don't count on it. One dangling air hose, and you are hamburger.

6. When a train is coming get well clear of ALL tracks. There may be more than one train coming at a time. The absolute minimum distance you must be away from the track can be determined by standing with your feet next to the rail on the outside and holding your arm straight out. If you can not get further from the track than your fingertips, LIE DOWN.

7. Avoid getting caught on a bridge. If you are on a bridge, it is safer to walk fast to get off than to run. If you fall, you can be dead meat.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes walk the tracks to. The Best part is looking for the dead animals. I've found a deer at Castlewood Park in St Louis, then a deer leg on the tracks by the Kansas City station.

Once I found a whole set of bones on the tracks, nothing seemed to be missing from it, except anything that should be on the bones.

Like I said I wander the tracks at Castlewood Park, but thats mainly because we get lost in the woods at the park, and walking the tracks back is the easiest/suriest(?) way to get back. Although there is plenty of room on the side to get off the tracks there, and I do.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen 3 dead dogs, 2 skeletons, and a dead bird, and, most recently a Air Hose!, bran-new, wasnt even dirty, still had the caps on it

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That area where Jonathon is wandering has plenty of room at the side of the tracks; one does not need to walk between the rails (too much grease and dirt there anyway)
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr.Harris stated the obvious and we all no a good amount about the R.R and we should no they cant stop fast they are wider than the tracks and one thing to many dont know about is that a train traveling approx. above 65MPH and u are close to the tracks even iff say u were farther "then the yellow line length" u will get sucked under, i have seen this and in a blink of an eye u get sucked down and its all over.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chubbes, it is usually over-confidence that kills you. Years ago when working on a project that would have us on the track at times in the NEC, we had to go through a safety training day that included a UPRR safety movie. A couple of interesting points:

The average length of service of an employee killed on the tracks was about 20 years. Point being, they had gotten overly familiar with the situation and let their guard down.

Example: A section gang was wiped out in total because they were walking the track talking and forgot to keep a lookout.

I recall reading somewhere that in actuality one person alone proved to be much more attentive than two together, because two people talk / interact with each other and become less aware of surroundings.

In my own experience, I was once one step short of walking into the side of a moving train passing the end of an industrial plant because I did not hear it, and my guard was down because I "knew" the line only carried one train a day and it had already gone by. Scared me good.

Another little safety tidbit: Major accidents usually have more than one thing that went wrong at the same time. If they did not combine you would usually have either a minor accident or a near miss. For each major accident there are something like 30 minor accidents and 400 plus near misses. Therefore, paying attention to the whys and wherefores of minor accidents and near misses will go a long way to save you from a major accident.

[This message has been edited by George Harris (edited 07-30-2004).]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, Jonathons not an idiot he can look at trains without killing himself..

PS. What kind of Air Hose?

And these Skeletons were of WHAT EXACTLY?

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon,
Mr. Harris is giving you, and everyone, some good advise. We may, at times, seem to get a little redundant with our safety lectures, but it is for good reason.

The coupler you saw could have been one of two things. It may have been partly broken to where it was not visible to the eye. It may also have been the wrong knuckle. There are two different sizes of couplers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because it's been a while since I've replaced one, but there is an E50 coupler and an F51 coupler. More than 90% of the cars use the E50 coupler, but there are some which use the F51. The brakeman probably carried the E50 knuckle back with plans to replace the broken one and found out he had the wrong one. We do not carry that dang thing back to get another one. We leave it there and it will be picked up sooner or later.

The same thing probably happened with the air hose. The train went into emergency stop, so the first thing a brakeman will do is grab an air hose and a wrench and start walking the train with the anticipation of finding a busted air hose. The air hose probably just came uncoupled and the brakeman did not need the air hose, so he just left it there, so he would not have to carry it all the way back to the locomotive. If you look around you will more than likely find the wrench also. If you have more than one locomotive, there is going to be a wrench on each one, so why bother with carrying it back. It's easier to just let one of the highrails pick it up as they drive by. Walking the balas rock is hard enough without carrying all that weight.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i understand not carrying the coupler back but an air hose or a wrench. that seems pretty lazy.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
It's easier to just let one of the highrails pick it up as they drive by. Walking the balas rock is hard enough without carrying all that weight.

-
if it something worth the efort, then I'll carry it, but that Coupler, wasnt just taken off, it was torn off, the metal was twisted at the end and a whole chunk was ripped off

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>We do not carry that dang thing back to get another one. We leave it there and it will be picked up sooner or later.

>the brakeman did not need the air hose, so he just left it there, so he would not have to carry it all the way back to the locomotive

>why bother with carrying it back

Exactly the kind of attitude that made America great. And these are the kind of jobs protected by unions. It wasn't just the jet and the interstate that did a job on the railways.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kairho:
Exactly the kind of attitude that made America great. And these are the kind of jobs protected by unions. It wasn't just the jet and the interstate that did a job on the railways.[/B]

Since you are a tour guide, I don't expect you to understand what it's like to get on a train which has had problems all day. Let's say the train was built wrong and this is your second or third 80 pound coupler you have had to carry for 1/2 mile in the balase rock, due to the train breaking more than one time in a single trip. The walking is not always so great because you will have bridges to cross, balase rock to walk, which is sometimes lying at a 45 degree angle (you fall down more than you walk), and do it in 105 degrees to 0 degrees temperature. When it's hot the rock warms up about 10 degrees hotter. When it's cold you can't feel your hands to carry the coupler.

How quick would you be to carry that same coupler,which will take you about one hour, back to the locomotive to exchange it, knowing when you get there you have to make that one hour walk back to the point of separation with the correct coupler. This makes a total of 3 hours of humping an 80 pound awkward piece of steel on your back in the rocks.
It's the foamers like you, who really amaze me. You need to remain a tour guide, where you can have a cushy job, because you would never make it as a trainmen. Next time you want to post a reply, you need to know what you are talking about and don't blame the trainmen for the railroads going broke.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Sheriff, the point is not so much heavy metal but rather air hoses and wrenches. Smaller, easily toted items which, when abandoned, can add up significantly in the loss category. I've experienced this same not-my-job attitude in the airlines and look at the shape they are in these days. Secondarily, I rued the general attitude of most unionized people in this country. And yes, I've been a union member.

And, FYI, I have never been a tour guide. That is a tough, grueling job. I much prefer my current cushy one. And you also should not judge someone without knowing the facts of their history. You'd be surprised.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Mr. Kairho,
If you had ever been a union member, like you say, you would know that the employees are always the ones who get the shaft when there are budget cuts. A perfect example is Amtrak. About 2 years ago Amtrak decided they needed to cut back to save money, so they said lets cut management jobs as well as cut one Assistant Conductor's job. Well the Assistant Conductor's job was cut, but the management jobs were only shuffled around. They ended up with more managers jobs than they started out with and the upper management voted themselves a raise. My union, the UTU, has not had a contract since 1998. Contracts are supposed to be settled every 4 years.

My appoligies for calling you a tour guide. Your profile shows you as a "Tour Operator". I'm sure there is a big difference.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page