RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Tornados

Author Topic: Tornados
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in the copy of general orders my dad gave me that the crew should try and get in the nose of the cab but i dont think u can fit an entire passenger train in there. What do they do with passengers? Any experiences?
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ridden on Metra commuter rail trains during tornado warnings before, and all that really happened was that they stopped the train to wait out the worst of the storm. No one actually saw any tornadoes, so I guess no further action was warranted. I don't know what the official policy on tornadoes is, if passengers are supposed to get out and in a ditch or whatever, but it is quite the interesting question.
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've sometimes wondered the same thing. I don't think the conductors would abandon the passengers for the safety of the cab nose, however. I doubt the cab would offer much additional protection, anyway.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the UP code states that it is the safest place. And something weighing 400,000 lbs cant realy b lifted off the tracks and if u get in thr nose you are protected from flying debree.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall reading somewhere about a passenger who said their train was in a tornado alley with at least one on the ground, and the engineer received permission to highball the heck out of there, exceeding the speed limit. But that's probably the exception to the rule.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Chicaco once and while I was on a Metra train waiting to go to Joliet,a rumor went through my car that a tornado had crossed our path. I didn't see any evidence of it though.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to say on a passenger train with all the glass windows if i were a conductor on a passenger train i would have them go to the lower level of the car and stay clear of the door's with the single level equipment just crouch down on the floor.But since i work Freight we are to go into the nose of the cab away from the windows.
Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SWChief
Member # 1841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWChief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While traveling from Houston, TX. to Topeka, KS. in the late 1970's aboard Amtrak's Lone Star (#16),My family and I had a severe weather encounter that very nearly ended in disaster.

It was about 11:30am when my famly and I deceided to leave our sleeping car REGAL DOME, and go to the diner to eat lunch.Upon being seated, the train made a station stop at Ardmore OK. While sitting at the depot, we, as many of the other passengers in the diner noted that the sky to the North, had turned a sickly greenish/black color.
Everyone felt releived that we were sitting in the safety of the Ardmore depot, and were not out in the middle of the terrible storm that lay just ahead.

All of a sudden, the unthinkable happened, we felt the brakes release, the engineer gave two blasts of the horn, and we proceeded directly into the path of the storm. It wasn't long before we entered the driving sheets of rain, and the high winds, which were bending trees over. Then the hail started... golf ball size hail battered the diner, sounding as if we were in a large drum!! The train seemed to be going very fast, as if the engineer was giving it his all to get through this storm. Needless to say the passengers were very shook up.

Eventually we passed though the storm, finished our lunch, and proceeded back to REGAL DOME. The top half of the vestibule door of our sleeper had been left open during the storm, and the floor was 4" deep with golf ball size hail!

My Dad, being a Santa Fe employee, asked the Conductor why we had left the safety of the Ardmore depot, and proceeded into the storm. The Conductor replied that they had been notified that the storm contained a tornado and they wanted to get through it as fast as possible to avoid being stopped with debris on the tracks.
The Conductor admitted that he had been watching a tornado out the rear door of our sleeper, and was worried we would not clear it in time, as the tornado crossed the tracks only a short distance behind us.

I have had many severe weather encounters on Santa Fe and Amtrak trains, including other severe thunderstorms, and blizzards, but nothing can come close to compare with this experience.

Posts: 6 | From: Topeka, Kansas, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully, I have never had to experience a tornado while working as a Conductor on any of my passenger trains, but I have seen what a tornado can do with a freight train. Here is one story you will find in my book I just published titled, "A Conductor Tells Unauthorized Train Stories." You can see more at www.trainstories.net.

The Tornadoes

Tornadoes are common in the Midwest and are as dangerous as any other weather related problems. I was on a freight train in Texas headed south one evening, and the sky turned green with a black background as the thunderstorm came out of the west headed in our direction. The green sky was a sure sign of large hail and a possible tornado in the making. The lightning started to crackle and light up the sky. It started raining really hard. The raindrops were as big as my thumb and were traveling horizontally across the windshield of the locomotive from the wind, which blew with such great force. The rain came down so hard and heavy the Engineer and I could not see the front of the locomotive. Then the train dispatcher called on the radio and said for all trains within 20 miles of Valley Junction Yard to stop immediately because there was a tornado on the ground in the area. Valley Junction is about 50 miles south of Waco, Texas and is a distribution point for freight cars. Trains come in and set out sections of cars to be picked up by other trains, which are diverted in four different directions for delivery to other towns.
The wind was estimated to be blowing between 80 mph and 100 mph. We were informed by the dispatcher a tornado had just hit Valley Junction Yard, and the force of the wind had started a string of 21 box cars rolling freely down the tracks. The dispatcher did not know at the time which direction the cars were going and wanted all train movement to stop immediately until he could get more information from the station operator at Valley Junction. About 30 minutes had gone by and we were starting to get a little worried because no one was telling us anything about where those cars were headed. Even though we were stopped, it is not a good feeling knowing a runaway train is coming toward you.
The Engineer and I strained our eyes looking down the track watching for the runaway train. It was pitch dark and even though the rain had slacked off a little, it was still raining so hard we could not see more than 50 yards ahead of our train. We did not know what to do. We had four locomotives on our train. Should we get off the lead locomotive and go to one of the other of 3 locomotives behind us for protection? It would definitely be better to be covered with the 3 front locomotives rather than be sitting on the point when we were slammed into by another train. It could be any minute now that we might have to jump off the locomotive and run for our lives if we did see some cars barreling down on us.
We decided to evacuate and retreat to the rear locomotive where it would be safe. Finally, the train dispatcher called us on the radio and informed us the runaway train was thought to be going in the opposite direction from us. He instructed us to bring our train on down to Valley Junction to look for the cut of 21 empty boxcars that had disappeared from the siding. We started moving our train southward very slowly looking for the unmanned train, which had broken loose and was running to who knows where.
The information the dispatcher had given us was very sketchy and with each and every curve in the rail we were on the edge of our seats staring out the windshield hoping we were not going to have a big surprise awaiting us. When we first stopped the train at the dispatcher's request, we were about 15 miles from Valley Junction. It took us about one hour to make it to our destination of the Junction, but we had not found any cars. As we approached the interlocker where the station operator was waiting for us, we stopped and asked what happened. The station agent said the cut of cars went south out of his sight. We continued on to the south end of Valley Junction yard where we found 3 cars, which had derailed, at the very end of the siding, but the other 18 cars were not in sight.
Apparently, the cars were going so fast they whipped the tail end off the cut of cars so badly it rocked them off the rail. The main track was blocked with the derailed cars, and we could not go any farther. The other 18 cars were found five miles down the track later on that night. The tornado had gone through and made the 21 empty box cars, which had all the doors wide open, start rolling so fast they whipped out of the siding and kept going down the main track (at an estimated speed of about 50 mph), until they finally stopped rolling.
The track we operated on was known as "dark territory" which means there are no signals to tell you when to go or stop. The movement of the train is authorized by your Train Orders, not signal indication. The Train Master lived in Bryan, Texas where the cars were headed and he drove his car out to some of the industrial tracks to throw the switches at the spur tracks in an attempt to derail the cut of cars before they entered town.
The Yardmaster working that night at Valley Junction was pretty shaken up. He was in his office, which was about fifty feet from the tracks that the runaway train was on. The Trainmaster asked him why he didn't go out there and jump on the side of the boxcars and set a hand brake. The Yardmaster told him the cars were going about 50 mph when they came by him, and he was too busy running in the other direction. The cut of cars had traveled about 5 miles and had gone over about 15 road crossings before they finally stopped about 3 or 4 miles before entering the city of Bryan, Texas. No one was injured, but it sure did scare the hell out of a lot of people.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tornado can knock cars off the track. I don't remember exactly where, but several cars were knocked over by a tornado early this Spring in the Southeast. Brad Kansas
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page