RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak missed-conntection expenses

Author Topic: Amtrak missed-conntection expenses
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latest issue of Trains is in! There's an article about passenger trains and delays... and I remember earlier there was a thread about Amtrak's expenses for missed connections. Well, Trains tracked Amtrak delays for one week, May 17-23, 2004, and discovered 333 hours worth of half-hour or more delays. During that time, Amtrak paid $28,306.35 for taxis, hotels, meals and such for passengers - the number does NOT include crew overtime or "other internal costs."

Trains 09/04, p.20-21

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that figure include bustitutions? I'll assume it does unless I hear otherwise. If that week was typical, that works out to almost $1.5 million a year.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That figure doesn't surprise me too much. If you take one train, the California Zephyr which I was on last year, which arrived in Chicago at about 10pm, 6 hours late, pretty mich everybody missing their connections. I'd estimate that approximately 80-90 people on that train missed their onward connections, judging by the line of people waiting to be reassigned in the diner. Of that number, around 60 stayed in the "Amhotel". Guessing at $50 per room per night (lower than published rates; Amtrak gets a deal), maybe 45 rooms. Plus $12 cash for taxi and food. Total around $2800. Add the that a free dinner on board the train - 300 people, maybe $3 per head (it was tinned stew plus soft drink plus disposable cutlery) - another $900. A fair few others took Greyhound to their destinations, cost unknown but let's say a few hundred dollars.

Total $4000 for one late train. Three or four a week like that and you can see how $28k builds up.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page