RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » superliners

Author Topic: superliners
lancet
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any superliners in the East, or are they all viewliner trains? Like the view from the upper deck on superliners.

lancet

Posts: 11 | From: Sonoma, Ca USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are only two superliner trains in the east. The Capitol Limited (Washington - Chicago) and the Sunset Limited (Orlando - Los Angeles). If you count Mississippi in the east, there is a third, the City of New Orleans (New Orleans - Chicago). Most trains in the east are not superliners because they are too tall for the electric wires in the northeast. This makes it impossible for any train leaving from New York City or Philadelphia to use superliner equipment. The Capitol Limited can because not all of Washington's tracks are electrified. This is also why there were never any dome cars on mainline Pennsy and New York Central trains. Hope I could help.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North American Railroader:
There are only two superliner trains in the east. The Capitol Limited (Washington - Chicago) and the Sunset Limited (Orlando - Los Angeles). If you count Mississippi in the east, there is a third, the City of New Orleans (New Orleans - Chicago).

And a fourth -- the Auto Train, which only goes as far north as Lorton, Virginia, so it doesn't have to deal with any low-clearance areas in the Northeast.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I forgot the Auto Train! I love riding it so much, thanks for your correction. Totally let that slip my mind!
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North American Railroader:
The Capitol Limited can because not all of Washington's tracks are electrified.

Actually, the Capitol Ltd does pull in to Washington under wire, for the short distance from the junction to the bumper post!

Also the Cardinal did operate under wire with Superliners. It switched to low-level equipment after too many Superliner cars were sidelined due to derailment damage.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superliners are designed for low platform access, so they can not be used into stations or tracks equipped with the car floor level platforms that prevail in most of the northeast corridor, even if they would clear the low spots. They can get through the tunnel into Washington, but how much further, I do not know.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Superliners are designed for low platform access, so they can not be used into stations or tracks equipped with the car floor level platforms that prevail in most of the northeast corridor, even if they would clear the low spots. They can get through the tunnel into Washington, but how much further, I do not know.

So I guess the Superliners can't pull into Chicago Union Station because of the platforms? The Superliners, just like the AmFleets, have the movable platform that covers the stairs except when they are needed for ground level boarding.

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superliners OK in Chicago Union Station. The vestibule door is level with the platforms. In fact the Empire Builder/City of New Orleans actually goes thru the station - on the eastern edge there is a track that connects the north platforms (Hiawatha & Empire Builder) to the south platforms (City of New Orleans, California Zephyr, etc.) The Hiawatha equipmemt is single level & requires descending stairs & a stool to access the platforms.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh?? Last I knew Chicago had low level platforms. Maybe a definitionis in order.

High level platform: Platform at about the elevation of an normal coach floor, that is 48 inches above the top of rail. The usual offset is 5 feet 9 inch from the center of track. This distance must be increased if the track is on a curve. Usually these platforms are only allowed if there is no freight traffic on the line. If there is freight traffic, the offset is normally increased.

Low level platform: Platform near rail level. Usually designed to be 8 inches above top of rail, but if along main lines will frequently be lsee due to addition of ballast and raising of track. The usual offset is 5 ft 1 inch from center of track.

Since the standard "heritage" coach is about 10 ft 1 inch wide, there is about a 8.5 inch gap between platform and coach. Transit system platforms are almost always set at car floor elevation but closer so as to give a smaller gap between car and platform, usually on the order of 2.5 to 3 inches.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad on Chicago, but I know there are stations with high platforms the Superliners can go to. They have the same trap door type mechanism that the Amfleets do.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
I'm sure someone out there can tell me how high the floor of the lower level of the superliner is above the top of rail. I do not know exactly, but I have a feeling that if a superliner pulled into a high level platform station that the platform would be somewhere above knee high to a person standing in the car. Once someone tells me the floor level, the rest is just arithmatic.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are low platforms, and there are lower platforms. Many older stations have lower platforms which require that yellow metal step be put out in front of the low doors of Superliners. At newer or refurbished stations there are higher, but still low platforms that are almost even with the Superliner's lower floor.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Harris, I believe you're right - the car floor would be lower than the high level platform. I think Big Merl is a little confused!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
quote:
I think Big Merl is a little confused!

Wouldn't be the first and I can guranty it won't be the last.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: Please disregard my posts in this thread. Or pretend I said something smart about HEP, either or.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a problem! Hopefully everybody involved learned a few things.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page