RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hotels in monterey

Author Topic: hotels in monterey
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey does anyone know of a good hotel to stay in while im there? my family is planning on taking the coast starlight up there later in august. thanks for your help
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a page on my website devoted to this topic: http://hometown.aol.com/toylandmry/pltostay.htm

It is difficult to recommend anything specific without knowing your tastes and budget.

It might be helpful to know, however, that the Amtrak bus from Salinas stops downtown at the Monterey Marriott (10 stories, great views). This is within a block of several other hotels including the Portola Plaza Hotel (formerly the Doubletree, nothing special), the Hotel Pacific (one of the better ones), and the Monterey Hotel (a historic hotel on the main street). Directly behind the Marriott (and in its shadow) is the Merritt House (kinda quaint, but no view).

The bus also stops at the Hyatt Regency (ho-hum, overlooks a freeway on one side and a golf course on the other).

In Carmel it stops at a Chevron station next door to the Best Western Carmel Mission Inn (slightly more upscale than your average Best Western, surrounded by shopping centers on two sides, a fire station on the third side and the highway on the fourth).

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 08-11-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest getting reservations as early as possible. We tried to get a motel/hotel for this Saturday anywhere from Paso Robles to San Luis and could find nothing.

Best,

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big car shows are here this weekend, that's why there aren't any rooms right now. But booking early is always good advice for around here.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy knows everything about Monterey.
I am going to the Monterey Marriot this coming Spring for a convention my Dad goes to. I understand the thruway bus goes straight there from Salinas.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had known Mr.Toy a few years back as we could have met some where in Carmel or Monterey when I visited.

I tell you though, thats one helluva place.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page