RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Timetable for the Missouri Routes

Author Topic: Timetable for the Missouri Routes
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently members of the forum have been talking about the Missouri Services - the Mule and the Ann Rutledge. Even though I have no plans on traveling on either in the near future, I became curious about them anyways. One thing I was wondering about was the schedule of these trains. However, when I went to the Missouri Services page on Amtrak's website, I noticed that no link to a timetable was available, even though most train pages do link to one. Does anyone have a link to a timetable for these routes, either through Amtrak or through another source?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I saw this, I hit the Amtrak web, also. Could not find it either. So, I went to the Oct 2003 timetables, which I copied from the Amtrak web last fall. Checked back, the April 04 SW Chief shows the connecting train as being at the same time as in October 2003 TT for Chicago St. Louis Kansas City. That being the case, the times for the main points are:

Southbound (read down)------------Northbound (read up)
--301----303-----Miles*-----City-------------304----306---
-7:50a---3:00p----0.5---St. Louis-----------1:35p---8:45p---
-8:19a---3:29p---13.4---Kirkwood----------12:53p---8:03p---
10:11a---5:22p--125.5---Jefferson City-----10:58a---6:08p---
10:14a*--5:44p*-140.2---Centertown*-----10:14a*--5:44p*
11:21a---6:33p--188.9---Sedalia------------9:44a---4:54p
12:55p---8:06p--273.2---Independence------8:14a---3:24p
-1:30p---8:40p--283.0---Kansas City--------7:55a---3:05p

*Information not from the Amtrak timetable is from a 1996 UP employee’s timetable. Centertown is the siding that works out as the meeting point. Time shown is my estimate. The siding actually extends from mileposts 140.2 to 141.9. St. Louis to River Jct. at MP 128.0 is double track except for two short sections that have large bridges. Beyond that, sidings are scarce. Centertown is the first siding beyond River Jct. and the next siding is at milepost 165.

This does not include all stops. I left out Washington, Hermann, Warrensburg, Lees Summit.

I did a little study of this line for my own curiosity a couple of years ago. Still in the computer. The maximum speed limit is 75 mph east of Jefferson City and 70 mph west of it. There are so many restrictions to lower speeds that raising the speed limit to 79 mph would probably save less than 10 minutes. If any serious reduction in time is to be achieved, speeds in the terminal areas must be increased, which might not be excessively expensive; and a lot of the intermediate speed restrictions removed, and that will be expensive.

The siding gap shows the problem with a single track line with widely spaced sidings. Even without freight interference, if either train is late at the meeting point, the amount of time late then exists for both trains after the meeting point, or if the meeting point is changed to allow the on-time train to continue, the late train then becomes late by at least twice the running time between the location of the on-time meeting point and the actual meeting point. For a move of meet point to the next siding west, that would be about one hour. Improved reliability will require additional sidings west of Jefferson City.

[This message has been edited by George Harris (edited 08-17-2004).]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George found that study that we were talking about in the Lincoln libary i e-mailed you about it but never herd from you
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a useful site for Amtrak timetables: http://www.libertynet.org/dvarp/Amtrak/

Here for the Mules: http://www.libertynet.org/dvarp/Amtrak/mw_stl.html

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, missing from the timetables on the Amtrak website since the spring update is any information for:

The Illini 391/392
Kansas City Mule 301/306
The Ann Rutledge 303/304
The State House 300/305
The Illinois Zephyr 347/348

I emailed customer service a couple of months ago asking them why these trains were omitted and got back a nice standard reply directing me to either the website or 1-800-USA-RAIL for schedule information.

So the mystery of "why" remains.

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrak/mw_stl.html
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fubu05
Member # 465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fubu05   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trainweb.org/nationaltimetable/missouri/kansascity.html (southbound from Chicago) and http://www.trainweb.org/nationaltimetable/missouri/chicago.html (northbound from Kansas City) This shows the schedules for the St. Louis/Kansas City Mules, State House, and Ann Rutledge in one schedule.
Posts: 60 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page