RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Need help planning So Cal trip for school kids please

Author Topic: Need help planning So Cal trip for school kids please
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping that some of the local Southern Cal guys could give some advice about planning a trip for a class of third graders from San Diego to another So Cal destination on the PS.
We did one a couple of years ago from SAN to San Jaun Cap and I would like to do a different one this year. The highlight for the kids was riding the train, not the visit to SJC. I wanted to do a longer ride but we can't make it all the way to LA and back to SAN with the time we have allowed.
I was thinking maybe to Fullerton or Irvine but not sure what was worth visiting or walking to from those stations.
We need to be able to do it in one day and plan to allow for any ( ) delays we may encounter.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in any particular order...

Fullerton has an adjacent cafe and you can watch trains from there. Several main-line freights come through. If you want non-RR activities there are several restaurants nearby but no mission or museum.

Irvine is a relatively modern facility but there isn't much within walking distance, other than fast food.

The Oceanside pier ride is shorter but the beach is right there! Only certain trains stop there though; most pass on through.

Anaheim has Edison Field (Angels' Stadium). Even if you can't go to a game they sometimes have other events there. The stadium is right near the station; the Pond is bit further away.

Santa Ana has a large station (lots of buses there too) but it's a bit of a wlk to downtown.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa Ana is home to the Bowers Museum of Art, which contains a pretty wide mix of stuff ranging from the ancient world to the history of California. They also have a separate Kids Museum a block away.

The pedestrian route isn't particularly scenic, but I've walked to the museum from the station in 20-25 minutes or so (yes, I know nobody walks in California, but you can all use the exercise). It's possible that a local bus runs from the station, too.

www.bowers.org

As for Fullerton, the station houses the offices of Trainweb. I don't know if they're equipped to handle visits from school groups. But if the kids are into trains. . . .

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-18-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not real familiar with the stations south of LAX but my advice would be to just get those kids on a train!

I'm a retired teacher and one of my fondest memories is a field trip from Arcadia to LA Union Station. I think I was in fourth grade and the engine, if I remember correctly, was steam. I was hooked on travel in general and trains in particular from that moment. You'll find that the "big things" count but it's often the "small things" that your students will remember and remind you about later.

Have a great "Field Trip"! And be sure to fill out all the paper work in triplicate. It will be worth it!

Frank in SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 10

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There actually is a museum a few blocks north of the Fullerton train station. I don't believe that there's anything to see around the Irvine station other than Industrial buildings.
Posts: 22 | From: Fullerton, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the Anaheim stadium station and take the kids to an Angels baseball game.
Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick note of caution.

I do not recommend taking school children to Fullerton just to watch trains. It sounds like fun, and it actually is, but may not be the most entertaining or safest thing for youngsters.

Several freights fly through Fullerton and this may not be the safest place for children as they like to explore. I know when I was in 3rd grade I loved to explore and look around. Unfortunately it might be a little dangerous at Fullerton as the tracks are very easily accessible from the platform and there is no type of safety fence.

Also there can be long periods when no trains go by, thus the kids might get bored and wander off.

If you have a very small class this might be feasible, but if it is a standard size class this is probably not the best of ideas.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a trip to the beach? The San Clemente Pier Station is right on the beach, and that might be fun for the kids. If not San Clemente, try Oceanside. Surfliner #566 leaves L.A. 8:30 AM and arrives at San Clemente 9:59, with a return trip on #583 at 4:13 PM, arrival back at LAX 5:45 PM. Surfliners typically run on schedule.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page