RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How fast COULD the trains go?

Author Topic: How fast COULD the trains go?
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how fast various Amtrak engines could travel if track conditions were absolutely perfect for them to reach their maximum speed. I know on most long distance routes the speed limit is 79 miles per hour, with a few that have a 90 mph limit, but I'm sure that is only a limit of track conditions. How fast could these diesel engines go with perfect track conditions on a relatively flat grade? Also, how fast could some of the others go, such as the Talgos, the Acela, and other overhead wire trains (such as the Metroliner)?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Genesis (AMD-103) is rated at 103mph (4000hp). It could probably go up to 120mph without any problems and a light load. The AC version is only 3200hp but can do 110mph.

Acela - 150mph rated, but again add around 10-15% for top speed. I believe there was a test run where they got it up to 168mph but don't quote me on that.

I'm not sure which Talgo the Amtrak ones are based on, but some diesel models are rated at 125mph, though I doubt the Amtrak ones can do that. Apparently the Amtrak Talgos are somewhat heavier than normal so the top speed might be reduced somewhat.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Talgo is not a Locomotive, but it is pulled by the F59PHI, whitch has a top speed of 110 mph, but I'm afraid My Favorite Locomotive tops them all,(The Deisels atleast) The F40PH!!! with a Tops Speed of 125!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now the F40 is an awsome locomotive and can top at that speed but it takes at least 15-20 miles on even a flat surface to reach those speeds.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't much of it have to do with the gearing of the DIESEL engine?
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It very much has to do with gearing, whether diesel or electric. This is off into an area I do not know a lot about, but, here goes: (Corrections from the knowledgable appreciated)

There is a more or less optimum range of rotational speeds of the motor and the rotational speed of the wheels is determined there from by the gearing. In addition to this, there are issues of vibration and machiinery harmonics that come into play at higher speeds.

When the French did their 515 km/h (320 mph) run with the TGV on the TGV Atlantic line before opening, they shortened the train to increase the power to weight ratio, applied larger diameter wheels to the power units, do not know if they changed the gearing, but think they did, increased the voltage in the overhead line by about 10% above the normal 25 kV, and increased the tension in the line a lot, but how much I do not know. The 515 km/h speed was essentially the limit they could achieve within the length of track they felt safe to run on at above 300 km/h. In other words, if they had had more room, they probably could have gotten to a higher speed.

There is a natural frequency for the propogation of the wave of the train loading in the track and in the catenary. I do not know what this speed is, but it should be calculable. It is above the 515 km/h speed achieved. It is thought that this wave speed may form a limit, and even if not, it will change the nature of the solution.

A more ultimate limit would be the speed of sound. 320 mph is approaching half way there. The faster the train moves, the more aerodynamic noise there is. That is the reason the noise reduction of a maglev is mostly imaginary. At higher speeds a large component of train noise is aerodynamics. If the speed of sound is exceeded, there is a continuous sonic boom. That is why the SST was only allowed to exceed the speed of sound while over the ocean.

We are building a 300 km/h railway which is very little more than a finese of the normal railway. Tunnel sizes and other clearances are larger than needed to simply pass the trains due to aerodynamic considerations. The spirals have a variable rate of change to avoid the jerk on entry and exit of the spiral that is essentially unnoticible at 60 to 80 mph, and the high speed turnouts (up to 100 mph) have spirals in the switch points and beyond the frogs. All main line frogs are swing nose. Vertical curves are very long to minimize the vertical acceleration effects. There are no road crossings at grade at all. The bridges have a continuous half height noise wall.

Even with very high powered trains, it still takes about 15 miles on level track to get to full speed and almost 5 miles at normal braking rates to stop.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why pull the tension tighter on the wire?

how does that help?

and a all electric engine still get up to speed faster than the best Diesels?

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rong again, they put tension on the wire so that The Panto can glide smoothly along a firm, tight wire, if it were loose it could put strain on the Panto, and just cause an all-electronic loco with lots of computer, it still takes a rime mover to actualy move all those micro chips & hard where

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think of a tightened guitar string. Increasing tension increases the vibration speed, that is wave speed propogation. It also reduces the height of the wave imposed by the pantograph for the same reason that a tight rope does not sag as much as a slack one.

At this time, you can not put a diesel with enough horses in the engine within the weight limit to economically run at high speeds. With high speed you are trying hard to reduce weight. With freight the weight of the train that you can start and move at low speed depends upon the weight on powered axles.

Generally freight trains are powered from something under one horsepower per ton up to around 2 hp/ton for high priority freight. Passenger trains, US style are normally between 5 and 10 hp per ton. The TGV's, ICE's and Shinkansens are usually powered above 20 hp/ton, with of course a lot of attention paid to aerodynamics to reduce rolling resistance, since aerodynamics is the biggest part of train resistance at high speeds. Now, think of a normal modern 4400 hp diesel on six axles weighing in at about 214 tons. That only gives you 20.56 hp/ton with no train what so ever, and of course the high speed aerodynamics would be terrible. Therefore, if you run without carrying your sorce of power on your back, you can run faster.

The basic formula of acceleration explains it.

F = ma, or Force equals mass times acceleration. Reshuffle that and you have

a = F/m, or the amount of acceleration you can get equals Force divided by mass.

Since you have to have some accelerating force to maintain any speed, the less weight you are dragging around the better off you are. I know that sounds contrary to basic physices, but it is true since we are not in a frictionless universe. You must have enough accelerating force to balance the train's rolling resistance to maintain any given speed.

Does all this help give you the picture? This is actually just scratching the surface. Sorry, there is no simple one or two sentence answer.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I correctly understanding that even under identical track conditions, the Acela is an inferior train in terms of speed when compared to the TGV or ICE?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireBuilder:
Am I correctly understanding that even under identical track conditions, the Acela is an inferior train in terms of speed when compared to the TGV or ICE?

I believe that is correct. The Acela is a very heavy train (relative to other high speed trainsets) for a variety of reasons - I think the primary one is that the Federal Railroad Administration has numerous crash safety requirements that most foreign countries don't have, which makes the train heavier. 167/168mph sounds about right for the maximum speed achieved with an Acela. It'll never go faster than that, even under ideal track conditions.

If you're interested in the Acela, TGVweb has a great Acela page with technical specifications, performance details, and a history of the project. Check it out at http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/acela.html

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer the original question: Trains COULD go 299,792,458 m/s

[This message has been edited by polarbearucla (edited 08-23-2004).]

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Polarbearucla:

In one word: No.

The speeds you suggested, assuming you are using the usual SI notation where m/s is meters per second are:

299 m/s = 669 mph = mach 0.9
792 m/s = 1772 mph = mach 2.4
458 m/s = 1025 mph = mach 1.4

Why did you pick such odd numbers?

Ordinary wheel on rail will not work because you can not apply enough power through the wheels at this speed to overcome the aerodynamic resistance. Aerodynamic resistance increases at the square of speed. I have been told that when you get near or above the speed of sound, there is a V^3 factor, as well, but I really know nothing about that. V^2 is enough. At some point, even with all axles powered, the aerodynamic resistance will pass the power that can be put into the rails through the wheels, even with all axles powered.

Also, for your higher numbers, getting above the speed of sound for something on the ground is totally impractical. Remember, the SST was allowed to exceed the speed of sound only when well out to sea, never over land. One word: NOISE, LOUD NOISE, OK, that's two words.

What is the maximum you can reach with an ordinary railway? As tests and demonstrations, probably somewhere around 400 mph on level track. If you can throw in a nice long downgrade, you can go faster, but no matter how much power you have you are not getting a lot faster than this, and it will take a power plant of about 100 hp/ton to get this fast. Since you want reliablility, you can not go beyond the practical wet rail adhesion, which will be much less, and this says that your maximum will be somewhere around 300 mph.

Anytime you get much above 100 mph, it becomes very difficult to get an alignment straight enough to run it consistently. Remember our old V^2 friend. To double the speed, requires a 4 times larger minimum curve radius. To triple it requires 9 times, so if you want to run 300 mph you get this: At 100 mph you want 1 degree or less curve, that is radius 5730 feet or larger. At 300 mph, this means the minimum curve should be on the order of 52,000 feet, or a 0d06m40s degree of curve. You have to use very large vertical curves, as well. No sudden changes of grade, or you get than sinking feeling.

If we go to maglev or something that does not require adhesion, we still have the curve considerations. Airplanes do not worry about this because they can rotate to a much larger angle than would be practical with any guideway, and since they are up in the are, they do not worry about terrain features and other considerations that constrain alignment.

Oh, and if you think the discussion above is on the order of those that said in 1903 that flight was impossible, or whatever idiot in 1820 said that travel ove 20 mph was impossilbe because people could not breathe, most of what I told above is extrapolation from experimentially derived information. (I suspect the 20 mph story has nothing to do with scientific knowledge as it stood in 1820, anyway. Probably some dolt with his mouth in gear while his brain was turned off. Anybody who had ever been to sea or stood out in a high wind knew good and well that breathing was quite possible when facing a wind of well over any 20 mph, whether the issue had come up in 1820 or 1020 or even BC something or other.)

As to the Acela not being able to equal ICE or TGV because it is too heavy due to US safety requirements: It is powered for a 150 mph maximum. If you want more speed, add more power. I would rather have the more solid vehicle. The axle load are not at all excessive by US standards.

EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Harris, the figure that Polarbearucla stated was the speed of light. He was being sarcastic instead of trying to contribute to the conversation.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Thanks, Empirebuilder. A really big Duhhh on my part.

I just assumed (which makes a you-know-what out of "u" and "me") that she or is it he was just coming up with three silly 3-digit numbers, not one silly number. I figure the best way to deal with asinine sarcasm a lot of times is to act as if it were not there. After all, if they do not get a rise out of you, they have failed in their redicilous mission.

Since my brain's default mode is the English system, even after 14 years of working in metric units, I still have light as 186,000 miles per second, so the number did not ring a bell.

All in all, helps justify some of my opinions of Univ of Cal in general and UCLA in particular.

polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry for the confussion caused by my post....I was just stating what trains COULD go ....hence the use of caps. I posted the speed of light because few people realize that it is not possible to go faster than it. And as technology advances I'm sure we will one day see modes of transportation approaching that speed, and thus I thought it was relavent.

AND for the record I do not attend the university of california at los angeles!

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
OK, then polarbearucla, they who / what are you? I just looked at your "who?" and there is nothing there. If you want to remain anonymous, so be it, but such things as a range for age, gender, interests, profession would help those that try to respond to you. So you did not attend UCLA, OK, they where, if anywhere, and why have ucla in your handle? Are you polarbear because you like the furry critters, you feel a kindred spirit with an animal that is a top predator and basically ruler of all he surveys, you are from a cold place, you consider yourself a cold person? End the speculation with answers.
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we are discussing Train speed . . . . .
#6 left Omaha on Aug. 27 and then detoured in IA on the UP (ex(CNW). This was because of flooding on the BNSF. It took over 24 hurs to get from Omaha to Chicago, arriving on the 28th. Now who's going to ride when the UP, notorious foor its bad attitude towards Amtrak, gets the Zephyr over the route at 19th century speeds? The frieght goes faster than that. And to think, that in years previous, the "Cities" passenger trains and the "400s" bragged about going over the route in slightly under 8 hours! It looks like UP feels as though they can mess with Amtrak with impunity. Amtrak would have been better off detouring on the ex-Rock Island line. At least there the speeds would be in the 35 mph range.

I think if UP were running a passenger excursion, Mr. Davidson et al would get from Omaha to Chicago a lot faster than Amtrak did. Its time for Amtrak to have other contingency plans than calling UP, because UP apparently views Amtrak trains as being lower than Whale excrement on the ocean bottom.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page