RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleeping on Superliner coach seats?

Author Topic: Sleeping on Superliner coach seats?
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to hear from the experienced on this one. What are the strategies that are followed in order to get a decent night's sleep? Where in the car are the ideal seats? Are earplugs advised? I remember traveling on Canadian railways as a student,and if the car wasn't too crowded, the conductor would allow the backs of seats to be turned around so one row would face the other so you could stretch out.
Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrydraper
Member # 737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrydraper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done it a few times. I've never seen Antrak coachs not full, and I doubt that the crews even know that the seats can turn. But, I find that the Superliner seats recline far enough and have good legroom, I'm 5' 10". It depends on what you expect, it's not a bed at the Ritz. By all means bring a book to read, you can't really see much outside at night. I've never had a problem with noise late at night, but it depends on the other passengers. Hope you enjoy your trip! Plan on being two hours late, then you'll run on time.
Posts: 35 | From: Alhambra, CA USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crying babies, snoring, people getting on & off, sitting next to a very large person,..................Nuff said. Get a sleeper. Meals are included as is the use of the Metropolitan lounges in the major stations.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best position in the car: 1/4 or 3/4 of the way down the car (away from the stairs and end doors).

Noise: Even in a full car, it's actually pretty quiet during the night. Ok, so you might get a crying baby, but it's not a constant problem. In fact, I can't even remember one on my travels.

Seats: If you're not too tall, you can curl up across the pair of seats (assuming you've got a pair, of course). I tend to lay on my side with the leg and foot rests up, basically sitting on the side wall, head propped against the armrest next to the aisle.

Only the major stops are noisy, and there are few of those during the night anyway (for obvious reasons).

If you have a pair of seats, I've found that the conductors only wake you if absolutely necessary, such as no other seats available on the train for a boarding passenger.

I've also slept in the lounge car. I'm not sure what the policy is on this, but I've never been chucked out. Only problem is insomniacs that come in and talk, and early risers who also believe the world should be awake with them! But you can at least stretch out on three whole seats!

A blanket or sleeping bag is recommended, as is a pillow. Amtrak do supply a small one (two if you're lucky), but it is very small.

Sleepers are good if you can afford them. You can expect to pay $100 - $150 or more per room per night.

As to how busy the trains are, it all depends on the route and the time of year. I've been in coaches with just 10 people in for the entire length of the route, other times with full capacity all the way.

Geoff M.
(veteran of over a dozen coach nights!)

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it's right next to the end door, I find that sleeping (sitting) in the forward-most coach seat is very comfortable, because there is no one in front of you, and you have an extra 2-3 feet of space to stretch out in. You can also prop your feet upon the car wall in front of you.

Getting this seat depends on how full the train is, or where you board on the route. I asked a conductor if I could move to this seat once, and he said he was saving it for passengers who boarded later in the evening. But if you get a friendly conductor, it might be worth asking.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff_S
Member # 1142

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff_S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all of Geoff M's points. The only bad night I've had was in the seats in the opposite the stairs, not so much from people coming and going but I found the bright illuminated "exit/toliets" sign the most disturbing thing. Also by day the view of the opposite side windows isn't so good.

I've always found attendants willing to allow you to move if there is space, but like all things some are good, some are less so. Single people by themselves are more likely to be herded around than a couple. On almost every journey every effort was made to keep together "families" together. Some trains label seats as being reserved for families and groups. A single person travelling the whole distance is usually treated better than short distance travellers.

If you are making a once-in-a-lifetime special journey then perhaps the extra cost of a sleeper is worth it, but if you travel more regularly the cost is considerable and not worth it in my opinion.

I also find the passengers in coach to be more socialable to one another especially on the longer journeys.

Geoff S
(veteran of 16 nights in coach)

Posts: 10 | From: London U.K. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I spent many many nights sleeping in coach seats in the pre-Superliner days (in the 1970s going to and from school)and I did it again last May on a Superliner.

One rule: the more you do it the easier it gets. However, the first time or two can be a bit of a challenge. If you can sleep on your back you have a major advantage. (I can't). But plan on not doing too much at your destination until you can get caught up on your rest. Once you've done it a few times that won't be so much of an issue.

Your seating arrangements will depend a lot on your car attendant. Some will do everything they can to give single travelers two seats to themselves, as long as they are available. Others double up everyone they can to make it easier to keep track of everyone. What you get is sort of a crapshoot, there. But if you can get two seats to yourself you have many more options for stretching out.

The window seat gives you an advantage as you can prop your little pillow in the little corner between the seat and window. Be sure to pull up both the leg rest and foot rest so your feet don't dangle.

If you have trouble sleeping, don't fret. Just close your eyes and relax.

In winter, take a blanket or just use a heavy coat for that purpose (as I did). In the summer have a sweater or sweatshirt for sleeping in.

Personally, I have no preference, but the noisiest seats are near the doors, as others mentioned. That's one thing I miss about the "heritage" cars. Many of them had a hallway that wrapped around the rest room, so there wasn't a direct path for sound between the door and your seat.

I always advise wearing shoes you can take off and put on easily for quick nighttime runs to the rest room. I prefer shoes with velcro fasteners on trains.

Be sure to pull the curtain before you go to sleep lest the sun come in and blast your face first thing in the morning.

I have a travelogue from my most recent coach overnighter on my website. The link is below. Scroll to the bottom of the first page to find the story.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe because I'm short and young, but I have no problem sleeping on more uncomfortable coach seats than Superliners, which look like they give you quite a lot of room. I was able to get a decent night's sleep on a VIA coridoor coach, and I have no trouble routinely falling asleep on the LakeShore if I'm tired. I once slept one seat ahead of the cafe filled with obnoxious people trying to get drunk in an un-refurbished Amfleet I with no foot or leg rests.. if you're tired, you're tired, and I think it's quiet enough at night.
Then again, I highly recommend earplugs if you're not fortunate enough to get a quiet coach. They're worth their weight in gold when you want some piece and quiet, and the guy in front of you has his bad 80's dance music turned up WAY TOO LOUD and he's wearing the leakiest headphones on the market!!!

While the a sleeper, obviously wins hands down, I don't think coach is that bad. But that's just my opinion..

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can not sleep well at all in a Superliner coach seat or any other type of coach seat. When I go on a train trip, I plan on getting about four hours of sleep per night. I like to sit in the back of the car. The front might be better to sleep in, but I like the back because during the day you can see out the windows in front of you and you have a better idea of what you are approaching.

I do not like to ride in a bedroom. It is like being in a little jail cell and you are isolated from the rest of the train. I would always rather ride in a coach, but I never travel for more than two nights in a row. Usually I only travel with one night in a row on the train.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for your thoughtful and generous replies to my post about sleeping in coach. Mr Toy even has his own web site!
Anyway, my trip with a 30-day North American Rail Pass from Toronto will start in early April and involves a circuit around the USA with no more than one night on a train at a time with overnights or two mostly in hostels in cities en route- Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, Austin, St Louis, Kansas City, Flagstaff, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago. I get the idea from your replies that my retired bones should be better off between sheets, but with practice the coach seats with a bit of planning might do. In any event an upgrade to a bedroom might be possible, especially in an off-peak month like April. Thanks again.

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, that sounds like a dream vacation. I wish I could go along.

One thing you might do, is ask on board if there are any openings in the sleepers. They will often sell unused accomodations at a discount on-board, and you can catch up on some lost sleep. And then your meals will be included (on Amtrak), too.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page