RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Leaving on the Eagle in 3 days

Author Topic: Leaving on the Eagle in 3 days
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm traveling to Joliet from Austin in 3 days. Anything different on the Eagle since the spring?

I'm currently booked into the transition sleeper going to Joliet and on a lower level sleeper coming back.

Anyone know if there is a shower in the transition we can use? Which car do I enter the train from? The Transition car or the car behind it?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this some kind of joke?
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No CS it is not a joke
they have been selling sleepers on the transion cars on the trains that have running full.
Mike: When i was on the the Eagle the last time you enter the train and they point you you to the car walking to it in the train.
i used the shower in the regular Sleeping car
as i think that was the only one on the train that had working hot water at the time

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boyishcolt:
I enter the train where? The sleeper by the transition car {assuming there is one} or do I enter the lower level of the transition?

I'm thinking the only sleeper in the consist will be the SL sleeper at the end of the train. That would be a long walk to the shower, if that's accurate.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm maybe I'll meet you in St. Louey.
If I'm not busy we could meet.
Tell me what you think about the contruction on an actual temporary station here in STL.
The real thing will be done in 2006 hopefully.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you will enter at the sleeper thats next to the transition car most likey
what day will you be on the Eagle?

[This message has been edited by boyishcolt (edited 09-01-2004).]

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is is showers in the transition car
either the crew did not want us to use them or it was really broken
crews really do not like there car used bye passengers

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I'm going up to Joliet on Friday and returning on Monday. I have an appointment to shoot Bill Shatner at the CPX paintball field on Sunday {It's his annual charity paintball game for his "up with horses" charity}.

Uncle Buck, I'll be there Saturday morning if those overpasses St Louis has to the south of the station don't collapse on top of us. Have you ever seen the damage on several of the overpasses south of the station? Huge chunks of concrete missing and rebar hanging off of the structural members of the overpasses.... Kinda scary.

fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two showers on the transistion sleeper For passengers. One upstairs at the end of the public part of the car, and one downstairs. The staff have a shower in the middle of the car, and do not let passengers use it. I was on the eagle from Ft worth to Chicago on the 10th of August and returned on the 14th in the transition car. It is actually closer to the diner than the full sleeper, so that makes it nice.

JIm Fix

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does this car look like...There was a sign there went I went on the starlgiht that said, "Cew only" is this the slumber sleeper thing? I have never seen this listed as an Accom. on Aamtrak.

thx

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
i maybe on that train tommorow Mike going to CHI
if i am on it i will be in the Cafe car shortley after the Springfield stop
(green Polo hat)

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I'll still be in Texas tomorrow. I'll be passing through Springfield on Saturday around lunchtime.

And thanks for the info fixj!

Uncle Buck, I'll be near the transition sleeper and probably wearing Wrangler shorts and a dark polo shirt, with gray sneakers. Have a sign praising Texas and I'll find you.

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 09-02-2004).]

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
What does this car look like...There was a sign there went I went on the starlgiht that said, "Cew only" is this the slumber sleeper thing? I have never seen this listed as an Accom. on Aamtrak.

Anton, what they're referring to is the Transition Sleeper between the frontmost passenger car and the baggage car. They were originally intended to have both revenue space (in the form of standard bedrooms) and crew dorms. However, until recently, they have been used exclusively as crew dorms. Amtrak has opened up Transition Sleepers to customers on the Eagle and, I think, one other route recently. I expect it will be done on more routes before too long. It helps with the sleeping car shortage problem.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I new they were crew cars but I had no idea amtrak ever planned to use them as public seating/sleeper.

Thanks.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Well, the transition sleeper wasn't bad at all. We had our attendant, free juice and coffee and ice, and two baths with showers upstairs and two standard baths and a standard shower downstairs.

I didn't like the commode/shower combo for the usual reasons (Rocking train, and guys with little "control") and the mess on the floor. Other than that, it was a different experience, especially with the diner immediately behind us.

boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you see Uncle Buck?
Some reason i thought you were going to on the train Friday but i see you were on Saturday. was train on time? and was it sold out?

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, am I to understand that the upstairs toilets have showers in them like the Deluxe rooms? Is it sort of a combination of a standard Superliner toilet with a Deluxe bedroom shower arrangement?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
1st, No I didn't see Uncle Buck, but I did look for him.
2nd, Mr. Toy, combine the standard shower and a standard bathroom. Instead of having the undressing area, you had the commode part of the combo.
3rd, I'm WAY too tired to post now but I WAS IN 32016!!!!!!! And we took the northern route from Texarkana and Mineola!

The refurb is AWESOME!!!!! More later.

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds fun, I wish I could go inside the Transition Sleeper, I'm looking forward to your trip report!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
...2nd, Mr. Toy, combine the standard shower and a standard bathroom. Instead of having the undressing area, you had the commode part of the combo.

I get the picture, but there seems to be a definite "Eeew" factor here. Definitely wear flip-flops when getting in and out of that shower.

quote:
3rd, I'm WAY too tired to post now but I WAS IN 32016!!!!!!! .... The refurb is AWESOME!!!!!

I want to know MORE!!!! Especially about the rest rooms, do the faucet's splatter? Is there space to turn around? Is the TP holder still behind you? Tell me, please! I'll even consider voting for a Republican (at the state level) if you just tell us more!!!

This concludes my childish begging.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Mr Toy...

I have pictures!!!!!! And will post some later today. The faucet doesn't splatter. You push the handle down and a stream of water flows out of the low-flow areator into the deep-dish sink. You can easily turn around in the space provided (Think RV style bath with the commode in a corner at a 45 degree angle). The TP holder is in front and to the left of where you are sitting, a very slight stretch to get to it.

I have pictures of all of this!(including the transition combo) I'll start posting after work (or maybe during work if I get a break)!

And I won't even hold you to your "Republican" promise, Mr Toy. I realize it was made under duress.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Well, I had intended to post some pictures. Unfortunately, Trainweb has a problem with that part of their site. When it is corrected, I'll post several pictures. In the meantime, here's the captions that go with the pictures I wanted to post:

The toilet seat is a full version, just like the one in your bath, so you can get some size comparisons.

The sink faucet is the "push down on the hot or cold water button" style. It runs for about 20 seconds, which is plenty of time, and has a low-flow areator.

Now, let's see if this edit works....

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 09-09-2004).]

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
1st, No I didn't see Uncle Buck, but I did look for him.

I couldnt make it both days, baseball on Saturday at 9 AM.
And I had school the next day on Monday night.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
If you notice the wood paneling beside the toilet and the wood paneling below the sink, they are the same wood paneling, so you will have a perspective on the toilet/sink combo.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mike. Looks like there's more than twice as much floor space, and a full sized toilet seat, too! That high-rise faucet arrangement is also clearly superior. Tell your fellow Republicans in Washington to get Amtrak enough money for '05 so more cars can be upgraded. (I've tried....)

I was hoping one of us would be lucky enough to travel in that car, but I didn't think it would happen so soon! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Mr Toy:
I have written a "Congratulations!" letter to Beech Grove, and Ccing Gunn, President Bush, Senator Hutchison, Senator Cornyn, and Rep Brady.

The congress critters also get a cover letter, requesting $50 million a year for Beech Grove renovations and tack it on to the very next appropriations bill. I stated that if we could spend $100 million studying a turtle, we should be able to spend a little money to upgrade our National passenger rail system at 1/3 the cost of a new Superliner.

Also, I plan on posting more pictures this weekend. I'll label the thread "32016". Look for it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page