RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Websites for the still learning railfan?

Author Topic: Websites for the still learning railfan?
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realise this question of mine will not really be relating to Amtrak, but I couldn't figure out if there was a more appropriate place among the forums to ask this question.

Is there a good website out there that explains the logistics of coordinating a railroad schedule? Things such as where a train might travel during the course of a day, how often train cars might be added or subtracted from a train during its journey, how many trains might pass a certain single line stretch during the course of the day and all that goes into getting the different trains to pull off in a siding and.....well this is kind of hard to explain.

Like I said I know this doesn't fit into the Amtrak scheme of things but I didn't know where else to ask it. If someone could either direct to a website where I could learn this or direct me to where I could ask where someone might know about this sort of thing I'd really appreciate it.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a terrific book at the California State RR Museum last year which address all sorts of operations questions. VERY highly recommended.

The Railroad: What It Is, What IT Does by John H. Armstrong. 0-911382-04-6

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try up.com for tips on how to coordinate traffic and run a RR!
Ha!

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kairho wrote:
"I found a terrific book at the California State RR Museum last year which address all sorts of operations questions. VERY highly recommended.
The Railroad: What It Is, What It Does by John H. Armstrong. 0-911382-04-6"
----------------------------------------

I purchased this book recently as well for several railroad operations courses I'll be taking at a Sacramento college (with Mr. Armstrong as the instructor), and it is definitely great for technical info on the railroad. It uses mostly RR lingo, and contains a glossary. The info presented is at an introductory level, but it will provide a great insight into many things that the average railfan might not know.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page