RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » question about sleepers and railpass

Author Topic: question about sleepers and railpass
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know it's far in advance...
I'll be doing the North American pass NEXT October (I can't this October cuz I'm in the Middle East); I've been noticing the high prices on the sleepers on the Internet. I tried putting in dates for next year, and of course, the standard bedroom is much cheaper. SO..I would like to book far in advance, which it will let me do, soon. THE PROBLEM: I'm going to be upgrading from coach since the railpass pays for the coach portion only. Should I take a chance and try to get a sleeper at the time, day of the trip, from the attendant? Or pay ahead of time?
I know it depends on availability, but since Oct/Nov aren't times of heavy passenger loads (except on select routes), will I likely be able to deal with the attendant and cut a deal?
Just needing opinions and info. Thanks, guys.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the process of getting my first sleeper for a trip in a few months. The price quoted to me on the internet is half the price that the conductor quoted me when I requested an upgrade on the Southwest Chief a few months ago.

There seems to be a rumor floating around that buying an upgrade on the train can be unbelievably cheap. That may have been the case at one time but it no longer seems to be the case now.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 10-06-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you KNOW you want a sleeper on certain segments, book them when you buy the rail pass. If you can put up with overnight coach on some segments, then skip it and look for upgrades from the conductor (not the sleeper attendants)
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, guys. i'm waiting to see if the new pricing policy means the old 'deals' are no longer available; in which case, I'll try to book now.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The new deals may very well be better than the old deals. I just got a sleeper from LAX to ABQ for about $115. And my ticket came to $45.

Considering that all the meals are "free," that seems like a pretty good deal.

Oddly enough, sometimes rail passes are not the best deals. Cashing in on Guest Reward points can often be a very good way to get from place to place. 15,000 points can get me from ABQ to Montreal, roundtrip.

Rail sales are also worth looking at, if you need to buy a ticket for immediate travel.

But it seems to me that if you plan ahead, the tickets are still quite reasonable. Except during holidays, course.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page