RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Rail Sale fares

Author Topic: Amtrak Rail Sale fares
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spent the weekend riding a train and nothing else. Amtrak has these rail sale fares that are pretty impressive. I rode from Altoona,PA to Chicago andback for $22.80. It was on Trains 43 and 44 amd all I had was a weekend, so I left late Saturday morning, got to Chicago around Midnight, spent the overnight at the station(they lock their doors from 1 to 5 am) and took
the return train at 6am and back in Altoona by 7:15pm.

I suppose you have to be a real train buff or out of your mind but I foundthe weekend relaxing, got to read a great book,listen to some of my favorite music, listen to some decent radio in Chicago and enjoy the passing scenery. I ve taken advantage of the rail sale fares over the last couple of years and I m always looking foward to my next trip..whether its cross conuntry or a few hours.

Has anybody done this..just ride for thesake of riding? Hey at $22.80 for a round trip to Chicago...I say why not?

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you took a trip like this. I wish more people would do the same! It's a good way to spend the weekend, and get your mind off things.
I took a trip from Flagstaff to Albuquerque last August because the train was there, and I wanted to ride it!

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 12-10-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago I got a bad case of cabin fever & decided a rail trip would be just the thing to do. It was a Thursday night that I made the reservation, Friday morning I ran the tickets & Saturday evening I was on the Southwest chief bound for Chicago. I spent a few hours in Chicago & then boarded the Capitol Ltd. for DC. I only got to spend about an hour in DC before I returned to Chicago again on the Capitol Ltd. I then rode the Cal Zephyr to Martinez & the San Joaquin to Bakersfield about 150 hours after leaving Bakersfield on the bus to LA. I spent all six nights on the train & only about 8 hours on the ground. I loved every minute of the trip & look forward to doing it again as soon as possible. How's that for a spur of the minute trip?
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etna
Member # 1221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone been able to use a service guarantee cert with a Rail Sale fare. I'm guessing no, because of the Web requirement, but maybe you could upgrade accommodations using them ??

I have a SG cert, but find I can only use it on higher fare basis (bases ?).

[This message has been edited by Etna (edited 12-11-2001).]

Posts: 9 | From: Vernon, CT USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I claim the longest journey to *get* to a holiday like that? Fly from London (UK) to LAX, train to San Antonio, stay for 3 nights, train to Dallas/FW, stay for 3 nights, train to Chicago and then New York, stay for 1 night, train to Boston, stay for 3 nights, fly home!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page