RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time on Amtrak. What does Reserved Coach Mean?

Author Topic: First time on Amtrak. What does Reserved Coach Mean?
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone fill me in on what that means and what it includes? Is there a place to sleep somewhere? What kind of food do they have on the train?

Thanks

Posts: 62 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reserved coach is an assigned seat in a coach car on any long or short distance train. Some trains like Surfliners do not have it unless you buy on Business Class. On long distance trains you can eat in the diner or the lounge car & on short distance the cafe car. Diners have full meals & cafe/lounge cars are more fast food like.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most long distance trains and all the Acela Express trains have reserved coach seating.

Right now, on the east coast there's no reserved seating on some NEC trains, the Empire Service south of Albany, and the Keystone trains. Amtrak is reportedly trying to make all NEC trains unreserved. Business class on all those trains, however is reserved, which offers business class passengers a real advantage on these busy trains!

Usually, reserved on the Long distance trains doesn't mean anything, or so I've found. Sometimes if the train is sold out, the conductor will require assigned seating, but most of the time, you choose where you sit. But you'll be guaranteed a seat in a reserved coach.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the sleeping situation? Is there a place to sleep or am I supposed to stay in my reserved coach for the whole trip?
Posts: 62 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your coach seat is your "bed." If you want a room w/ a bed you have to purchase it b/4 boarding or upgrade once on board based availablity.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coach seats aren't as bad as you may think. They recline to a comfortable angle, and have leg and foot rests. There is a lot of padding in the cushion, and they are fairly wide.
You aren't forced to stay in the coach car the whole time. You can move around. If your train has the double-decker Superliner cars, you can sit in the Sightseer Lounge with a bag of chips and a soda and watch the world go by.
Dining car food is always excellent when I travel. Many (long-distance) trains have their own special menus, with food that reflects the region of the US you are traveling in.
Which train will you be taking? We might be able to give you info on a specific train's accomodations and amenities.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page