RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago Metro Lounge

Author Topic: Chicago Metro Lounge
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know when the newly remodeled Metro Lounge in Chicago is scheduled to re-open ?

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is open.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They cancelled the project. Instead the Metro Lounge is now an Amfleet I on track 19.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Merl:
They cancelled the project. Instead the Metro Lounge is now an Amfleet I on track 19.

You've got to be kidding???!!!!!!

A new timetable with broken connections all over the place and now the 1st class lounge in Chicago is an Amfleet coach?

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No - it's not an Amfleet I car on Track 19.

I was in the new lounge over Columbus Day weekend. I was expecting to see more change than I what I saw. But "back to basics" I suppose. Basically more space has been added to the lounge - although not a ton. There's a baggage storage area in the lounge, rather than down the hall. New carpet (I think - looks similar to old carpet), few new chairs/couches, and some TV's were added. Seems more spacious, but it probably fills to the brim in the afternoon hours prior to the long distance train departures for the West Coast.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't expect to be taken seriously.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not despair. Some here do understand humor.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Amfleet comment was amusing, but being taken seriously is even funnier!

Afternoon time was always busy with several trains departing at similar times. Let's hope that they've upgraded the "witch" who frequents the front desk (one particular person I've had the misfortune of dealing with several times. Service with a snarl).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope - the witch is still there!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 10 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Amfleet Coach as a Met Lounge, as humorous as it may sound, wouldn't surprise me. Isn't the station in Maricopa(gateway to Phoenix) an old Dome Car? And, just three years ago the Bakersfield, Ca. Station (even then, serving 5 RT Daily) was opperating out of two modual units welded together.

Now, where they really need a metropolitan lounge (It boggles my mind WHY it doesn't) is LAUPT.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, Patrick. Why isn't there a lounge there? There certainly are enough trains when you include the Surfliners. It would be an added inducement to spring for the extra $ for Business Class.

Frank in dark and cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Merl:
Didn't expect to be taken seriously.

Man..........I'm a good target on April 1st too!

With a dome-obsrvation serving as the Maricopa station........

Having waited for MARC in a coach turned ticket office at Camden Yards.....

No one able to leave Boston in a sleeping car on an Amtrak train.....

Amshacks from sea to shining sea....

The fortunately long gone 'bubble' in Kansas City.....

The still with us 'temporary' station in St. Louis turning 25 years old....

Given all of this.....an amfleet coach on track 19 being used as a waiting room didn't seem all that far-fetched!!!

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 10-26-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Elvis in the newly refurbished lounge.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by CHATTER:
I saw Elvis in the newly refurbished lounge.

Which was on track 19?

------------------
David Pressley

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Which was on track 19?

UH HUH

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page