RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak F40PH Question

Author Topic: Amtrak F40PH Question
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While in Seattle I noticed an F40PH Cabbage with it's Emergency light Flashing, some Amtrak Employees were pointing at it and talking to each other, I couldnt hear because I was Pulling in on the Starlight, and today while watch a video about the Surfline and Amtrak's F40s, it shows one with it's Emergency light also Flashing, does any one know what this means?
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This means the trainpipe has no air. This happens when you put the train into emergency, have no air, or when you have the locomotive brake set.

Fairly common, no longer required. If you look closely, the Amtrak Surfliner and Cascades have them, that's why there is only 1 marker light lit.

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if theres no air is that bad

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the train is in emergency, all air has been vented into the atmosphere from the brake pipe, and the train's wheels are "locked." This can occur in a real emergency, when the engineer makes an emergency application with the brake valve, or if the train throws itself into emergency due to a pull-apart or derailment. This would cause the light to turn on.
The air is also vented when a car is being cut from the train (due to bad order or whatever). If you're standing next to the train when this happens, you'll hear a loud rush of air (kind of like a thunk).
The red light was mainly used to warn approaching trains that it was in emergency, to be alert when passing, or to put your own train into emergency if you suspect that there might be dragging equipment, or a shifted load that you could hit from an approaching train.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
"pull-apart"

I have an Idea what that may mean but I'm not realy sure

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page