RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Is Three Rivers really being discontinued?

Author Topic: Is Three Rivers really being discontinued?
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was playing around on the Amtrak website the other day. I know I read somewhere Amtrak plans to discontinue the Three Rivers sometime in spring. However, I went for a trip in September and the train is still there (no sleepers, but it's still on the schedule). Did Amtrak have a change of heart??
Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No change of heart - the Pennsylvanian is being discontinued with the Nov. 1 timetable change, leaving only the Three Rivers directly between NYP-Philly-Pittsburgh-Chicago. The November 1 timetable supports this. Come March 1, 2005, Three Rivers will cut back to Pittsburgh (no longer serving points west of Pittsburgh to Chicago) and the Three Rivers will be on the schedule of the current Pennsylvanian. Perhaps the amtrak.com doesn't support all this info - but it's true, as it's been reported on a number of news sources.

I will say that on a recent trip of the Three Rivers, there were some onboard staff who were hopeful that the states would pickup some of the costs to continue the Three Rivers (and double frequency of between NYP and Pittsburgh). But nothing has come of it as of yet - will see what happens after election day.

The Three Rivers will be losing its sleeping car Nov 1 - which I think is ridiculous. THe sleeper has ALWAYS been sold out when I have ridden it. They should leave the sleeper until the train is completely discontinued on March 1, 2005.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a small kid I rode with my parents from Penn Station in NY to Chicago by way of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Broadway Limited pulled by 2 giant steam locos--I'll never forget the ride--fast and furious--faster than today's similar runs.
Anybody remember such trips.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page