RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » showering on the train

Author Topic: showering on the train
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know if there is a time limit placed on you when you are taking a shower on a train. I realize that the train can hold only so many gallons of water and they have x amt of passengers.

Does AMTRAK put a time limit on the length of your shower? If so how much time do you get?

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get as much time as you like -- but be considerate of other passengers, please, since the water supply is limited.

I've noticed that the showers are not used by many passengers, actually. I've never had to wait to use one.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason I like a superliner deluxe bedroom (in Pullman terminology, compartment) ...

Privacy in our own shower!!!

Also ... plenty of towels

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One problem with the showers is that you only rarely obtain really hot water. I usually set it run as long as possible trying to see if it will become any warmer (usually it does not). Don't worry about running out of water since you receive only a minimal amount, and it is not likely to drain the tanks.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The four times I've showered on a train I've had water hot enough to steam up the shower room.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike others, I have had to wait, and at times the water temperature in the superliner sleeper has been scaldingly hot. This sometimes appears to be the case when the shower has been just used by someone else.

The public showers in the Superliner sleepers also suffer from the lack of any circulation in the shower room itself. In effect, you also receive a sauna, and it is difficult to dry yourself in such an environment. Along with its cramped toilets (also without any air circulation), I've often felt the superliner sleepers were designed by someone who never traveled in a sleeping car overnite.

One other thing. Be sure the door to the shower room is locked. There is a light over the door which indicates that the room is occupied. However, some people do not notice the light and try to enter the occupied room anyway. And, sometimes the light isn't working.

The Viewliner shower room is much more spacious, and has the same air circulation as your sleeping compartment. Unfortunately, the train attendant sometimes uses the room for storage. To partially overcome this problem, I make absolutely sure that my attendant knows I intend to take a shower when I get up in the morning.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Metman007
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metman007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 8 years that I have been riding in the sleeper, I have only waited for the shower once, and that was on Sept. 13 when the train was crowded.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the last ten years or so, I've taken hunderds of showers on the train. Very seldom have I had to wait for a shower & I have had only minimal trouble adjusting the water temperature. I have never seen a situation where the water supply had run out. Even when traveling in a deluxe bedroom, I use the common shower as the shower in the deluxe bedroom is very small with the toilet being in your way.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add one more comment regarding hot water in Amtrak showers. I just returned from using my N.A rail pass (2 Jan/2002) and on all of my Amtrak trains (the Lakeshore, Zephyr and Starlight) I had lots of hot water--quite contrary to my previous experiences.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me add that the one time I used a Superliner shower (on the Cardinal), the shower head was loose and I could not adjust it to "hit" me properly. Fortunately, I carry some small tools on my trips, and a return to the shower compartment with a pair of pliers quickly remedied the problem. I also used the shower in a Viewliner and in both cases was completely satisfied with both the volume and temperature of the water... and there were enough towels available to supply the entire car twice over!

------------------
- Kent Loudon, Somerville NJ

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page