RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Pacific Surfliner?

Author Topic: New Pacific Surfliner?
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read something, recently, about a new addition to the Pacific Surfliners, trains #799 and #798.
I guess #799 would leave LA early in the morning, at 7:30 am and arrive in San Luis Obispo at 12:48 PM. I think the article said something about a connecting bus, from San Luis Obispo, to San Jose. Also, train #798, going back, would connect up with 590 and 592.
Is this considered purely as a commuter service? Anyone have more information on Pacific Surfliner trains 798 and 799?

*PS* My apologies, I realize this subject was posted about 25 down. Had I known, I would have entered this under that particular posting. Still, I would be interested if anyone has some up-to-date information on the new Pacific Surfliner service.

[This message has been edited by yukon11 (edited 11-12-2004).]

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the Amtrak website to print out the schedule,but couldn't find it anywhere. I am planning to ride the train Wednesday.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's loaded into the res system. The first trips are this Wednesday (11/17) and Business Class is sold out. Does anyone know if they are still planning on using the "Big Dome" for Business Class as was reported here earlier?

I'm going to try to be down at the station to see it come through one way or the other.

Frank in cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just back from watching 799 come through SBA for the first time. They had a nice small presentation before the arrival and then a few speeches after the arrival including outgoing State Rep. Hannah-beth Jackson. It was a perfect "Chamber of Commerce" day here in "America's Riviera".

The consist did include the "Big Dome" car. I'm assuming that is being used for Business Class use only. There was no coach maked Business Class but I'm guessing that there must be one in addition to the dome. The dome and one coach were at the front of the train followed by a Cafe car and three or four more coaches.

Anybody have a trip report?

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the train in Business Class along with Ray from Trainweb and a fiend Winston on both 799 and 798.
Business class is not in the dome but in the Club Section of the lounge carwith 2-1 seating and 14 seats being real nice leather chairs.
The Dome was for the VIP'S but nobody stopped
anyone one from using it. A 60 seat Business Car is on its way t0 expand the Business Class.

The Dome I was told is used for special occasions so who knows if it will be back in the train again.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the new Surfliner to SLO yesterday.It was a great trip.I rode back to L.A.in the dome car.All through the trip Amtrak was passing out pastries and cookies.At SLO Amtrak had a vendor handing out hot dogs and soft drinks.It was a beautiful day and the trip along the coast was perfect.We had a P42 at each end of the train,due to a lack of single level cab cars.No.81 was on the north end,and 42 on the south end.Patronage in the coaches was very light,but this will improve as more people learn about the train,especially over Thanksgiving weekend.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Sorry I didn't get to meet you guys yesterday. Today's Santa Barbara News-Press had a picture and article about the first train through. Most of the article was centered on how this is not meant to be a commuter train and will not do much to alleviate the traffic problems between Ventura and Santa Barbara.

A trip up to SLO with a return on the Starlight would make for a nice day's outing.

Frank in sunny SBA

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode #798 from SBA to LAX Saturday 11/20. We left SBA 17 minutes late and arrived LAX 15 minutes early (and that included a long wait above Ventura for a Surflner meet). Only on Amtrak. Consist was P42, 3 Horizon coaches (one closed off as there weren't many passengers), a cafe/business class car and a trailing P42. No dome car (sob!) but a jolly crew of 2 conductors, 1 business class attendant and 1 cafe server. Passengers boarding or detraining at every station stop, so it shouldn't be long before this catches on. Now if Amtrak California just gets the word out............
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to this forum (and e-mailing with chrisg!), my friends and I rode in the dome car the entire way between Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, and back- what an icredible thrill!

We also enjoyed meeting many enthusiastic V.I.P.s and, of course, the "amazing" chrisg!!

« Photos from my trip on the inaugural run of the new Central Coast Pacific Surfliner »

[This message has been edited by rY (edited 12-29-2004).]

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(ack, my browser cached incorrectly and I posted twice)

[This message has been edited by rY (edited 12-29-2004).]

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Great pics, thanks for posting them. I'm actually in one of them. I'm one of the "onlookers" at SBA. Red shirt and shorts.

The Mayor is Marty Blum. She's a former teacher, great lady. I taught her son in 7th grade.

The outgoing Assemblywoman is Hannah-Beth Jackson.

Hope that helps.

Frank in dark and cold (but dry) SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page