RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » my first Amtrak trip... suggestions?

Author Topic: my first Amtrak trip... suggestions?
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
I recently decided to take an Amtrak voyage during the end of Jan 2005. My only reason for taking this trip is to get away and I have no plans on doing any "touristy" things en route or staying in hotels. In short the vacation is Amtrak and the sights and the people. With that in mind I have assembled a route that I feel would be pleasurable and certainly manageable on paper. However, after reading this message board I have a few concerns about delays etc. What happens if a delay causes me to miss my next train (and depending upon when this happens in the trip, all the other trains)? I can afford time delays but I can't really afford extra expenses. Will Amtrak "bump" me to the next train? I will be getting a sleeper unit for the long legs of the trip (EB & CZ) -- will I still get this if I miss the scheduled train? I am going to post my planned itinerary below, and would appreciate any words of wisdom from people who have taken these routes before. Problems I should look out for? Where might I have delays? Is this a good route? etc.
Thank you for reading and responding!
-Mike
(this is a continuous trip)
1/15 NYC --> Chicago Lakeshore Limited
5 hr 30min wait
Chicago --> Portland Empire Builder
4 hr 15 min wait
Port. --> Sacramento Coast Starlight
5 hr 15 min wait
Sac. --> Chicago California Zephyr
4 hour wait
Chicago --> NYC 1/22 (either LL or 3 river -- haven't decided yet)

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip, I'm jealous. Even as much as I enjoy riding the train, I might consider a short stop over in between a few of the longer segments. This would allow you to relax, sightsee, stretch your legs, and not worry about missing connections. Hotels can be found very cheap through the internet, or if you're really on a budget check for a hostel. That routing dosen't sound too bad for missing a connection, although unexpected problems can and do happen. If you do happen to be running late, you may be taken off of a train and put on a bus if it is possible to take a shortcut and make your next train. If not possible, Amtrak will pay for a night in a hotel of their choice plus expenses and you will be booked on the next day's train. One final note about your last choice of trains CHI to NYC: the Lake Shore Limited is a full service train with sleepers and diner, while the Three Rivers has been degraded to only coaches and a cafe, but it will be eliminated alltogether in March so it might be your last chance to take a passenger train over that route ever. Good luck and post any more questions that you might have and the folks here should have answers.
-Coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

[This message has been edited by coachclass (edited 12-05-2004).]

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks like an awfully ambitious trip for your first time. You may be setting yourself up for some major fatigue (sleeping on a moving train isn't always easy). Or, pleasant as it can be, you may just get sick of being in close quarters for so long. I agree that you may want to break this up with at least one or two nights in a hotel, maybe at Portland or Seattle.

Also, with that many connections, there is a high probability you will get "bustituted" somewhere en route. The only connection that is virtually certain to make is the train 11 to train 6 (Coast Starlight to California Zephyr) because the routes overlap for some distance.

I would try to take 11 all the way to Emeryville, to get a peek at the Golden Gate, rather than stop 80 miles short, and miss the shoreline of the left coast entirely. Then, if 11 is late, you can still make the connection at Sacramento, because the routes overlap.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else to add: do it in reverse (assuming timings are ok). The California Zephyr is better westbound as you have a much higher chance of climbing the front range in daylight. In fact, in January, you probably wouldn't see it eastbound even if on time. To a certain extent, the Builder eastbound is better for the same reason.

But do take a day or two off here and there. You'll enjoy it far more. That way you can look forward to getting back on the train again, rather than looking forward to getting off it!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and as regards to sleepers if you miss a connection and Amtrak puts you on the next day's train, you'll be put in sleepers on a space-available basis. In other words, if there's no room, you'll go coach - although you will get a refund on the room portion of the fare at a later date.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to politely disagree with some of our colleagues here. I take week long train trips as often as I can and find no problem with the extended travel. In fact, you get into a kind of rythmn that allows for plenty of sleep and relaxation - which I particularly appreciate. I sleep better on night #2 and subsequent nights, and then there's always the morning and afternoon nap! But the high point is the social time in the dining car and lounge car - you're going to meet some wonderful people and hear great stories. My last trip was BOS-SEA-BOS with enough time in Seattle for an extended lunch before heading home - that trip takes a week. I've also done BOS, NYC, JAX, LA, CHI, BOS, also a week, and Halifax - Vancouver (altho I recommend doing it the other way) which took a week with hotel stays in Halifax and Toronto.

Your scheduling looks OK, altho I can't comment as well as others here on the Starlight leg. Also, remember that the Three Rivers won't give you as good a dining experience as on the LSL.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that you may want to plan a couple of overnight stopovers in your itinerary. A 29 hour layover is much safer than a 4 hour layover and nothing ruins a relaxing day on a train if you're running five hours late with a four hour connection. It would give you a chance to better evaluate what your tolerance for overnight rail travel is.

I also agree with the poster who suggested you reverse direction in your western circle. Here are some reasons why: 1) The westward assault on the Front Range upon departing Denver, 2) Mount Shasta, 3) Marias Pass, 4) the ride along the upper Mississippi River between St. Paul and LaCrosse. These are all vistas that will be covered in darkness if you go out on the Empire Builder and back on the Califrnia Zephyr per your proposed itinerary.

Being more pragmatic, the eastbound Empire Builder generally does a better job of making it's connections in Chicago than does the eastbound California Zephyr.

Finally, even though you are not planning anything 'touristy', I would like to strongly recommend (and I really am NOT on their payroll) that you consider spending a night or two off the train at the Vagabond Inn in downtown Sacramento. It's called the 'Executive Old Town Vagabond' or something like that to distinguish it from another Vagabond Inn out by the interstate.

I like the Vagabond mostly because it is across the parking lot and then an admittedly busy city street from the Amtrak station. There are extras.....cookies at check-in, a popcorn machine in the lobby, a small business center with a couple of computers so you can keep up with email even if you don't travel with a laptop, and a complimentary breakfast featuring a do-it-yourself waffle.

Beyond this though it's clean, significantly less expensive than other downtown hotels and a five to ten minute walk from anything you would want to see.

For instance, a downtown mall with food court and theatre, Old Sacramento, the California Railroad Museum, and the light rail which really opens things up for the tourist sans automobile. Not a bad place to launch a rail daytrip to the Bay Area either. I think you'll find it time well spent if you can spare a couple of nights here to at least see the California Railroad Museum and do a daytrip on California's Capitol Corridor.

I hope you have a great trip!

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 12-06-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question and post a follow up. Just a few minutes ago I made my online reservations! I took the advice of most of you and made a few changes.
I will be travelling from 1/16-1/24.
I will be taking the CZ WEST and the EB EAST. This will give me a 9 hour layover in Sacramento and I have decided to spend a night in Portland (any good places to visit??), which will give me a 25hr layover. Hopefully this will be enough time to avoid any trip delays!
Thanks again for your help, and as I get closer I am sure I will post some more questions!
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mike--

I'll be doing the Cascades (Train #501 SEA/PDX) on Thursday and the Starlight (Train #11 PDX/SBA) on Friday. Following suggestions here I'll be at the Mark Spencer Hotel in PDX. Hope to ride the light rail system and do some Christmas shopping at Powell's books. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

Enjoy your trip. I know I'll enjoy mine.

Frank in cold and dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your revised plan sound like a winner. I'm jealous - it's been a long time since my last trip, and I've just learned that I'll have to reschedule the February ride on the LSL due to conflicts with my son's busimess travel. (It's one of those Grandma visits I was looking forward to!)
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Christiansen:
Hi
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question and post a follow up. Just a few minutes ago I made my online reservations! I took the advice of most of you and made a few changes.
I will be travelling from 1/16-1/24.
I will be taking the CZ WEST and the EB EAST. This will give me a 9 hour layover in Sacramento and I have decided to spend a night in Portland (any good places to visit??), which will give me a 25hr layover. Hopefully this will be enough time to avoid any trip delays!
Thanks again for your help, and as I get closer I am sure I will post some more questions!
-Mike

This revision is really good and it's obvious that you've put a great deal of thought into it. This itinerary greatly reduces your chance of missing a train (CZ, EB) on the legs where you had planned to travel in the sleeping car as well. I'm curious, did you choose the Lake Shore or the Three Rivers eastward from Chicago?

Also.....if your California Zephyr manages to get into Sacramento on time, store your bags in the baggage room and go over to the California Railroad Museum. You can at least glance at everything inside in 90 minutes or so. Also, the downtown mall with food court would be a better bet for an off train supper than would Old Sacramento. Again, these areas are within a ten minute max walk of the Amtrak Station.

Enjoy the adventure!

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 12-07-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
I ended up deciding to take the Lakeshore Lmtd both ways. The three rivers option would have been on the end of the trip and i figure by that point, esp considering its 20hrs in coach, I would appreciate any extra amenities that I can get.

I will def keep the suggestions for Sacramento in mind. I am hoping, depending on time and proximity, to get a chance to check out the state govt buildings. Maybe get a glimpse of Ah-nold!
thanks!
-Mike

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Christiansen:

I will def keep the suggestions for Sacramento in mind. I am hoping, depending on time and proximity, to get a chance to check out the state govt buildings. Maybe get a glimpse of Ah-nold!
thanks!
-Mike

Another good idea. The State Capitol Building is an easy walk from Amtrak as well. Might stretch your walk to 12-15 minutes IF you like to wander a bit and take in the things you are passing as I do. My wife, on the other hand, sees walking as a MISSION and if it's the State Capitol Building she's headed to from the train station, she would beat me by several minutes!

------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page