RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time trip questions

Author Topic: First time trip questions
rebecca
Member # 1229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rebecca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are traveling from Washington to Charleston on the Silver Meteor. No sleeping accomodations were available (sold out) but it's overnight. Any tips about sleeping, what to take with. Can we still use the showers? What hours are the dining service? Should we take good snacks with us so we don't have to eat the vending machine stuff if we get hungry during the night? Any chance that we could upgrade to a bedroom once we board the train? Any other tips for first-time travelers? We once took the American-European Express from WAS to Chicago but that was a VERY fancy train and of course we did have a bedroom. Other than that my only experience was on the old Chesapeake and Ohio in Michigan (little Chessie the kitty) (only day trips) and Amtrak from WAs to New York--only a few hours. Thanks for any advice!!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The showers are only available to First Class passengers, i.e., those with sleepers. I was just on the Silver Star on Friday and the Dining Car was open at 6:30am for breakfast, 12:45pm for lunch and dinner reservations were 5:00pm, 6:45pm and 8:15pm. There is also a lounge car which serves sandwiches and snacks until 11:30pm. You can bring your own snacks but you have to eat them at your seat. I didn't see any vending machines. I hoep this helps.
Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rebecca
Member # 1229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rebecca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much. Any other hints from anyone?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff_S
Member # 1142

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff_S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are lucky there could be a sleeper available from a "no-show" or last minute cancellation. Ask the attendant as you board.

If you do have to stay in coach you should be given a small pillow but I always bring my own as well. You should also bring a light blanket.

Geoff

Posts: 10 | From: London U.K. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always bring food and water. You never know when the diner may run out of food, or be so crowded that you are not served until past 11:00PM. Boh of those situations have happened to me before.

I agree with Geoff S. Bring a blanket. I get cold on trains, even in the summer when it is hot outside.

Be prepared for the train to be late. It may be on time, and it may be several hours late.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For sleeping tips, go back to the topic list and scroll down to the "Sleeping on Superliner coach seats?" thread. You will be on a single-level train, not a Superliner, but the same principles apply.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rebecca
Member # 1229

Rate Member
Well, we're back. Thank you to everyone for the advice. We were not able to get a sleeper for either leg of the trip. We were able to sort of lie crosswise of two seats on the way down, because the train was not as crowded. The train down was right on time, and the hotel in Charleston let us check in at 8:30 in the morning, so that really helped. On the way back, the train was two hours late leaving Charleston, was quite crowded, and the worst thing was NO HEAT all the way to Washington! We got in about 1.5 hours late. No extra seats to lie sideways. The blanket was a good idea, needless to say. The breakfast on the way back in the dining car was very good--kind of like a diner breakfast. We didn't eat any other meals. All in all it was okay--some difficult things were the hacking, snuffling, and sneezing of other passengers (we're not sick yet, though), and on the way back a young man was playing rap music all night. Also on the way down someone smoked in the bathroom. The glassed-in smoking lounge was very effective--even when walking right by it I couldn't smell anything. I found a great difference between the two conductors and attendants going down as opposed to coming back. The one on the way back was much more friendly and courteous, and seemed in a much better mood. I would do the train again but would MUCH prefer to get a sleeper for the overnight trip. Thank you again.
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>> The glassed-in smoking lounge was very effective--even when walking right by it I couldn't smell anything.<<

Great! I think all smokers should be REQUIRED to spend the entire trip there!

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page