RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Via and Amtrak tour

Author Topic: Via and Amtrak tour
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Thursday, the 16th, I'm taking my North America Rail pass and boarding Via's Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver, onward to the U.S. on Amtrak's Cascade (train 517) to Seattle, the Coast Starlight to Los Angeles, and after visiting relatives in Las Vegas Nev., the Southwest Chief from Barstow to Chicago and finally the Lake Shore Ltd Chicago to Buffalo. I was originally ticketed to Rochester with a hoped-for connection with the fast ferry to Toronto, but the ferry has been a financial disaster and was recently pulled from service. So it looks like a taxi from Buffalo to Niagara Falls and the (horrors) bus to Toronto (under two hours so I guess it's tolerable).

I have the extra-large double bedroom (compt. "F") on the Canadian, deluxe bedroom "E" on 11 and 4, and the standard bedroom on 48. I've taken these trains several times before, and have usually had reasonably good meals and service. Given all the negative commentary about Amtrak, I'm anxious to see if things are worse or, I hope, better than my last long distance trip of a year ago.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there was ever an intention to run that ferry Rochester-Toronto in the winter, but I'm hoping they will find a way to get it operational again in 2005. Did you check into connecting to the Maple Leaf from Buffalo to Toronto? I don't know offhand what time it runs, but the LSL is always so late, you might possibly make a connection. Keep it in mind before you hop on the (UGH) bus.
Your trip sounds great - Does the North American RailPass save you a lot on this itinerary?
(BTW - the same type of high-speed ferry began operations last spring from Milwaukee, WI to Muskegon, MI. They were forced to cancel more trips than they originally thought due to rough weather, but I think overall it was a success & is planned to open up again in the spring. Those interested can check www.lakeexpress.com )

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma and Royal Train - actually Royal Train CAN connect to #63 the Maple Leaf, from #48 the Lake Shore, but the layover at BUF is 8 hours, so I see why it would be more practical to take a taxi to Niagara Falls, which is not that far away from Buffalo. I know the Lake Shore runs late most of the time, so this would be a pretty much guaranteed connection, but is the Lake Shore ever THAT late (8 hours?)

Concerning the bus from Niagara Falls to Toronto, doesn't VIA have frequent connecting service between Niagara Falls, Ontario, and Toronto? (sorry I am not up to date on the VIA schedules at this time).

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 12-14-2004).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I took the LSL in February, I was 7 1/2 hours late into Rochester. Evertime I have taken the Chicago-Rochester trip on the LSL, I have been at least 5 hours late. I wouldn't dismiss that Maple Leaf connection possibility.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it would be possible to connect with the Maple Leaf in Buffalo if the Lake Shore is running very late. As for Via, they only operate one train a day from Niagara Falls and it departs at 6:45 am, so a connection from the Lake Shore is impossible. As for The Breeze (the Toronto-Rochester fast ferry) it was announced when it first went into service that they intended to cross Lake Ontario in the Winter, hence my forlorn hopes for a Rochester connection. I hope it will return in the summer, but I have my doubts--too bad for she made a very favourable impression on my crossing last June.

As for the North America Rail Pass, you may save about $100 off the regular rail fare, and this year I paid less than last year due to the stronger Canadian dollar.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a wonderful trip. When you get the rail pass, that doesn't include sleepers, does it? How do you arrange for them?

I'm curious: Why can't you take a bus from Buffalo straight to Toronto? Is it because you are staying overnight in Niagara Falls? How much is the taxi from Buffalo to Niagara Falls? I would think it would be kind of expensive. If you are staying in Niagara Falls, have you asked at your hotel if they have some sort of shuttle from Buffalo? Maybe from Buffalo airport?

Also, have you thought about continuing on the Lakeshore Limited all the way to Albany and then catching the Adirondack north to Montreal? It's a slow but gorgeous ride up Lake Champlain (when it's running--sometimes there is trouble in winter). I do recommend taking it from Albany, with its nice new station, and not from Schenectady, where the station is still rather dumpy. If you need to stay overnight in Albany, there is ahotel downtown, Omni or Crowne Royal (it's the same hotel, I forget which of those two owns it now) and they have a free shuttle from the Amtrak station, or if you're in a hurry, the taxi is under $20.

I have heard there are more delays crossing the border now, with more Homeland Security. Let us know how everything goes!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page