RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Surfliner Snack Box?

Author Topic: Surfliner Snack Box?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing a quick SBA/FUL/SBA Surfliner trip on Wednesday 12/22/04 to have lunch with family in Newport Beach. I'm going in Business Class this time. I know there is a "Snack Box" given out northbound in the afternoon. I've never gotten it because I usually board at LAUPT or Glendale. What are my chances of getting one?

Frank in dark but warm SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,

Usually they do not run out, I got one when I was boarding in Fullerton just one stop away from Los Angeles. The 3 times I have been in business class the snack box was just some chips and salsa. Although they do provide you with soft drinks and a newspaper.

Enjoy your trip
Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, I think Anton, those over 21 get a small bottle of wine. Or maybe those days are gone.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the snack box on most Business Class trips; they usually do not run out. They sometimes have small muffins or juice boxes too.
In the snack box, the chips and salsa are the best, but there are also some sugar/shortbread cookies and a rosemary cracker, plus something else that I always skip.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SbaLax, if you don't see the Business Class attendant, just head on down to the LSA (Lead Service Attendant) manning or woman-ing the Lounge Cafe. He/she will get your snack box to you and anything else you have coming to you, such as the bottle of wine if it's afternoon. Remember the Surfs do not have the Business Attendant aboard for the entire routes; they get on and off in order to serve more trains.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks, Railroad Bob. I'll go hunting if nothing is offered. I'm looking forward to the trip. The weather has been very clear so we might see dolphins along the way.

Frank in Dark SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The trip was very good. Southbound #768 was right on time into Fullerton. There were plenty of muffins and sweet rolls, apple juice boxes and coffee available as well as tea and hot water and instant decaf and copies of USA Today. The Business class car was about 60% full most of the trip from SBA/FUL.

The northbound train, #775, was about 40 minutes late into FUL but that gave my sister and me time to have coffee at the cafe in the station and for me to watch trains including several freights and a Surfliner that was only going as far as LAUPT.

The Business Class car was about 95% full when I boarded. An attendant came through shortly after we left FUL with soft drinks and water and then again with red or white wine. He gave me two whites with a smile. I went back to the service center where he was making coffee and asked about the snack boxes. He said that he had passed them out before FUL but there were plenty in a box on the floor and to help myself.

The box is now a bag with Lavosh cracker bread, a small container of cheese spread, a small container of salsa, a small bag of chips, a small bag of shortbread cookies, a mint and something else that escapes me at the moment.

I noticed that there are now laminated information cards posted at each end of the car and on the lower level telling about the service and that if an attendant is not available to go to the cafe car.

The car started to empty out as we left the LA Basin and by the time we got to SBA (about one hour late) it was less than 50% full.

All in all, another great trip. Next time I'd take the later return trip since my sister and I had both forgotten about holiday traffic between FUL and Newport Beach where my aunt lives. Still, we had a good two hour lunch and visit.

I'm ready for another Amtrak Adventure. Thinking of flying to Chicago and then taking the City of New Orleans to NOL.

Frank in cold, rainy, windy SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page