RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What is the diner secret?

Author Topic: What is the diner secret?
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have taken the train many, many times. Here is something we can't ever figure out:
We are always the last to hear the diner calls. When the attendant does the reservations, we are always lst to get a reservation. Ofetn we have had to eat in the room, which is OK sometimes. But when you are last to the diner, they always have run out of something.
Can we tell the car attendant to book us for early dinner the minute we get on the train?

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What time do you board the train?

I like to go the the head waiter after we finish lunch. Then were first before he goes around to the rooms.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We usually get on in New Orleans at 7AM. And at 2PM in NY. I just always feel like we are not welcome or a pain anytime we ask for any help in the diner area.
Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the look of it, you're talking about meal service aboard the Crescent. Unlike Amtrak's bi-level trains, the Crescent runs with a single-level dining car. That means the seating is more limited.

For breakfast and lunch (which are first-come, first served), my suggestion is to not wait for a formal invitation. You might not hear a timely announcement that the diner has opened. The PA system often doesn't work in every car. And crew people sometimes "forget" to tell you in person. Simply head for the dining car on your own (if you've just boarded, wait until after the conductor collects your ticket). If the staff tells you that meal service won't begin for another twenty minutes or so, go back to your seat. But don't wait too long to return to the diner, or you could find yourself added to the end of a long waiting list.

Dinner is a different matter. Obviously, choose the first seating if officially asked. However, when single-level trains are crowded, some conductors decide to serve meals "one sleeper at a time." In other words, the passengers in sleeper "A" will be called to dinner first. When they've finished eating, those in sleeper "B" will be called, followed (eventually) by "C." Unfortunately, anyone traveling in the final car is half-starved by the time they sit down to a very late meal. And they invariably discover that several menu items are sold out.

So if you're really hungry? Don't wait politely to be asked. Be bold. Head for the diner a.s.a.p. and stake your claim on the first empty seats. On crowded trains in particular, it's definitely "survival of the quickest."

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-26-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had trouble with the dining car being out of a particular entree. I don't think this is all that common a problem, unless you are approaching the end of the line.

Personally, I prefer the latest seating, because you can take your time and not have to hustle out for the next seating.

However, I was quite peeved when #5 was 4 hours late into Emeryville (getting there at 10:00pm) there was no dinner service. The diner closed for good after lunch. If we had been on time, that wouldn't have been an issue, but....

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 12-27-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page