RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rock slide west of Denver

Author Topic: Rock slide west of Denver
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was just checking out the Amtrak site to check on recent train arrivals and found the following advisory:

"Due to rock slides west of Denver, CO, California Zephyr service has been modified. Passengers planning to travel on the California Zephyr should call 1-800-USA-RAIL for the most up-to-date information."

I called. They had no other information. I am assuming this has happened before, anyone know what type of modified route the CZ will take? I am guessing it won't be through the Rockies, which I hear is the most scenic part of the trip. Is this something that can be cleaned up pretty quickly (I won't be in the area until the 18th)?
On a more technical side, is there a warning system, aside from the eyes of the engineer, that tells Amtrak that rocks are on the track?

Thanks!
Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Denver. From what I heard on the noon news, the California Zephyr will be rerouted through Wyoming "for the foreseeable future" due to the rock slide near Grand Junction, CO.

The westbound Zephyr hit a boulder and five cars derailed. There were some minor injuries to crew and passengers. The news report stated that the rerouting was necessary in order to remove debris and repair the track.

[This message has been edited by blancoj (edited 01-12-2005).]

[This message has been edited by blancoj (edited 01-12-2005).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like it's always the Amtrak trains that hit the track damage first. I know freight trains derail too, but the number of Amtrak trains that hit damaged/defective track seems disproportionate to their numbers. Just an observation.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it's just that the Amtrak derailments are more widely reported. Any number of reasons: they affect the general public more than a freight train; gives a chance to some to poke fun of the crappy government run train system!
-Mike, desperately hoping they can clear and repair the track in less than 6 days!

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak derailments are definitely more widely reported. I have heard of several freight derailments while traveling that never made it to the press, except maybe local papers. Far as I can tell, they mostly only make it to the news when they involve deaths, bizarre behavior, or hazardous materis.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wyoming route (Denver to Salt Lake City direct, no passenger stops) is the only alternative in that area. It appears to see several diversions a year by the Zephyr. Last June saw a month or two of planned diversions (certain days only I think) while they did maintenance in the Moffat Tunnel.

There are slide detectors along some of the more unstable sections of track. These alert the engineer via trackside signals. However, if a slide occurs while the train is approaching, or in an unprotected area, then obviously there's no warning.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The folks on the derailed train ended up staying the night in Grand Junction and then on to Salt Lake City the next day via bus.

Four hours on a bus is not my idea of a good time.
Ugh!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it is beginning to look like my eagerly anticipated trip will not be happening. I was told by an Amtrak rep on the phone just before that it is basically hit or miss. They don't know if at Denver they will be putting people on a bus to Emeryville (which is what I was told earlier this morning) or routing the train through Wyoming (which, apparently adds 8 hours to the trip and wreaks havoc with my CS connection). Needless to say the thought of taking a bus from Denver to CA isn't very appealling.
The most frustrating part of all this is Amtrak not being able to say one way or another. I realize accidents happen, but I would like some firm decision about bussing or rerouting or clearing the track. To keep their customers in the dark like this is insane. I am just glad I am finding out about this while I am still home, as opposed to getting out to Chicago and being told this.

I will end up deciding what to do Sunday morning, when hopefully I can get a firm answer from Amtrak. If it's a bus then I will cancel the whole trip and look for something else to do during my week and a half off from work. Anyone know any places to get good last minute flight deals, to anywhere (preferably out of the country)???
-Mike

Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Came across this link to a story about the derailment: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050112/us_nm/transport_derailment_dc_1

Basically, according to the report, full service on the CZ will resume Friday but then it goes on to say that Union Pacific has no idea when the track will re-open. Not sure if that means that buses will be used or a re-route through WY.
mike

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is any encouragement, the Wyoming route should be faster than the regular CZ route. From Denver, the Pioneer took less time to SLC thru Wyoming (11 hours) than the Zephyr takes now (13 hours). More flatland, higher speeds. The CZ goes thru Colorado for the scenery.

If they are telling you 8 hours longer, that must be 10 hours on a UP siding waiting for freights.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSR is right, the Wyoming route is normally faster. No passenger stops and generally higher speeds. Has been known to arrive in Denver/Salt Lake (eastbound/westbound) several hours early.

A bustitution between two points may explain an 8 hour delay. For example, if they ran Chicago to Denver on train, then Denver to Grand Jn on bus, then the rest of the way by train.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here'the official word from Amtrak.com: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Simple_Copy_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1093553982591&ssid=25

The short version is that CZ service west of Denver is shut down until at least the 20th.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page