RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » BACK ON TRACK!!!

Author Topic: BACK ON TRACK!!!
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just got off the phone with Amtrak and after some route tweaking my trip will continue! Now I am taking the SW Chief out of Chicago to LA. Then catching a bus to Bakersfield and then a train to Stockton and then a bus to Sacramento where my original trip continues! Thankfully, there were sleeper cars still available on the SWC and the new route isn't going to cost extra!
I guess I will have to save the CA for another trip!
Any highlights on the SWC I should keep my eye out for?
-Mike, elated tired and anxious!

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forget the stockton-sacramento "bus" segment.

715/717 bus/trains from LAX after SWC arrival have plenty of time to stay on to Martinez and make CS connection there. Actually 715 has plenty of time to get to Emeryville or Oakland (assuming CS starts in Oakland rather than Emeryville). 703 bus/train is train all the way to sac and is the scheduled connector to the CS with a 1 hour layover in Sac.

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SWC ride from Trinidad, CO up and over Raton Pass and then the descent through Northern New Mexico all the way in to Albuquerque is pretty cool. This is going to be your scenic highlight. If your train is on-time that would be late morning until an hour or two before dark on the second day.

The ride over the Mississippi River into Ft. Madison, Iowa the first evening is interesting too but after dark during the winter.

Enjoy your trip,

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the choclate bombe is still on the SWC menu, get it... if it is on the menu, it will sell out quick... get an early dinner reservation the first night and order it! That could be one of the top highlights. I agree with the New Mexico portion... you should have time in Albequrque to get off the train for about an hour or so... depending if late or not... check out the local vendors selling their crafts!
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SWC is my favorite ride. There is something about a train that just keeps a movin' at a good clip through the exotic southwest desert. New Mexico is beautiful in winter. The long stops in La Junta (fresh air) and Albuquerque (warm, interesting vendors) are a welcome break. The depots are even part of the excellent scenery, especially at Raton, Lamy and Flagstaff.

On either side of Lamy, be on the lookout for some very interesting residential architecture. Apache Canyon preceeds Lamy, where the sheer walls are within a few feet of the train. The late afternoon sun illuminates the giant Sandia Mountains on the fast run into Albuquerque.

One of favorite moments is enjoying a hot coffee as I am gettin' outa Dodge for my adventure in the west.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions folks! I am actually pretty excited about this new route as it will involve a 5 hour layover in LA. I have never been to LA and this time should let me visit a few choice sites (Hollywood, the Tar Pits and the new Disney concert hall). Of course now I have to pack clothing for two different climates! At the very least I will prefer to spend 5 hours in LA than the originally planned 12-14 hours in Sacramento!
ALso on the bright side, I am thinking that the coastal starlight will be running pretty close to ontime (from Sacramento that is) as it is going to be starting further north. Over the past few weeks I have noticed it getting into Sacramento about 3-4 hours late, and then eventually limping into Portland a few hours late as well.
Looking forward to the trip!
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From experience, expect 703 to be on time or even early into SAC. NB CS into SAC USUALLY gets in between 12:30a or 1:00a. It rarely is less than 15 to 30 minutes late, but its still pretty dependable into and out of SAC. SAC is also the refueling point for the CS so expect it to stick around for about 10 to 15 minutes once it arrives.

P.S-I should add a disclaimer that this is only what you should expect. It is never wise to wander from the station expecting that the above will always be the case. I wouldn't want anybody to miss the train in the rare event of it actually being on time (11:59p). I wouldn't go outside the SAC depot anyway. It's not the safest place to be out in at 11:00 at night.

------------------
Patrick

[This message has been edited by amtraxmaniac (edited 01-15-2005).]

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad your trip is back on! Enjoy your layover in LA, first time, wow!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Christiansen:
I have never been to LA and this time should let me visit a few choice sites (Hollywood, the Tar Pits and the new Disney concert hall).

If you'll be using public transportation to get around, remember that L.A. is a sprawling place, bus service tends to be slow, and four or five hours can fly by very quickly. When they make the boarding announcement for the Amtrak bus to Bakersfield, you don't want to be trapped on a city bus (or sitting in a taxi) in heavy traffic ten miles from the station.

Your best bet: stick to the points of interest located near the various Metro Rail (subway) stations. You'll find Metro Rail maps and information here:

www.mta.net/riding_metro/riders_guide/rail_overview.htm

Have a good trip.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-15-2005).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get to the three points of interest you mentioned using the various subways. The Tar Pits will require a transfer to a RapidBus at Western Avenue but that should be no problem. Also look into the DASH bus system that serves the downtown area. It only costs a quarter to ride and, though often full at rush hours, beats walking.

Frank in, finally, Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dilly and sbalax said. Also, if your tastes run along Asian lines, Chinatown is about a 10 minute walk from LA Union Station or just a couple of minutes on DASH Bus Route "B" which leaves from right in front of the station on Alameda Street. Keep an eye out for Jack Nicholson on his way to a Lakers game...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I am finishing up with my packing I am left with an important question: In LA's Union station is there luggage storage/lockers?
Thanks!
Mike

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure Mike...just find the luggage carousel area and there will be an attendant standing by a small room that is the held luggage facility. They will safely store your stuff for a small fee while you have your LA adventure. Enjoy the nice warm weather, if you're from the cold country...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

It's 78 today in LA; (1/16/05) Time for barbeques and cycling to go with the floods...
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the best reasons to be in downtown LA are Union Station and Phillipe's 'The Original' Restaurant, which is a five minute walk across and down the street from Union Station at 1001 N. Alameda St. It's been there since 1909 and is a long time favourite of Dodger fans and rail fans too. It has the feel of a 1940's cafe but seats over 200...sawdust on the floor...10 cent coffee..and $1 beer...open 6am-10pm... and has wonderfully filling and tasty meals at very reasonable prices.
Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look on the left of the train before arriving Lamy. You will come upon a small town of Ribera New Mexicoo. If you look further down the road you will see a pink building aka The Sad Cafe. They offer great dinners during the summer. It's a smal but cute town. Remember the Ballad of The Sad Cafe?

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather's great! 74 right now in SBA (01/18/05). Now if we can just get the trains running again between Emeryville and LA we'll be in great shape. I miss hearing the horn on the 6:49AM Surfliner heading South. It had become my alarm clock.

I second Philippe's as a great place to get a really good, inexpensive meal. You'll be rubbing elbows with an incredible cross-section of Los Angeles society. It's very casual, order at the counter, communal tables. The lamb French dip is my favorite.

Chinatown is another good choice. You could actually ride the Gold Line one stop to the Chinatown station as an alternative to riding DASH. The Metro, by the way, has a daytrip ticket good for unlimited rides. I believe it's $3.00. My favorite place in China Town is Empress Pavillion. Great dim sum but it's better with a group. We've only once spent more than $10.00 per person and always leave stuffed.

And, of course, Olvera Street is right across from Union Station. Some very good Mexican food, especially at the smaller places closer to Alvarado Street.

In the station, TRAXX has a reputation for good food but it is a bit trendy and expensive for my taste. And there's Union Bagel for snacks, salads to go, etc. Plenty of outdoor space to eat in the patios.

Have a great trip!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Hi Frank (sbalax)...did you mean Alameda Street? You said "Alvarado" Street, and that is a few miles West down Sunset, toward the Sea. However, there are good eateries on Alvarado as well, if Mike wants to go deeper into the City.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page