RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief EB or WB?

Author Topic: Southwest Chief EB or WB?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to plan a little Amtrak Adventure for February or March. I'm thinking of taking the SWC from LA to Chicago or reverse. Any pros/cons on either direction? Generally, what have people experienced on this train?

Thanks in advance,

Frank in Sunny (Currently trainless) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastbound Raton Pass is after dark. Westbound the snowy pine country at Flagstaff is after dark. Everything in between is beautiful southwestern scenery and pine covered snowy mountains east of Lamy. Can you go both directions? If you are going just for the train ride you could walk to a cheap motel in La Junta or whoop it up in KC. This is not the time of year to vacation in the midwest.

When it comes to a fast, on-time LD train, the SWC rules!

-Jerry in frigid dark snow-starved MSP (58 below yesterday up north).

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've traveled this train many times over the past few years, and the majority of my experiences have been incredible.
Heading eastward on Train 4 out of LA, you will get to see (probably) Flagstaff to extreme western Colorado in daylight. This is stunning Southwestern scenery all the way. There are many things to look at, and you won't be bored looking out the window.
Kansas will be dark, and then you will see Missouri and Iowa (maybe Ill.) in daylight, with its own unique scenery.
Westward on Train 3, you'll see the part of Colorado in daylight that you would otherwise miss on Train 4, albeit not much. Glorieta and Raton Pass are awesome, and in daylight, and you'll roll into Albuquerque in late afternoon. You'll have decent light for about an hour west of ABQ. The sun will rise early enough the next morning to let you see a pretty good bit of So. Cal.
All in all, either way is great. And of course, you'll always meet a variety of characters. Have fun!
(BTW- I wouldn't recommend this whole trip in coach... 30+ hours can take it out of you.)

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-18-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-18-2005).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sbalax, with your RR knowledge, either way will be fun for you...personally, I can't wait for the proposed "rerouting" of the SW Chief through the Clovis Sub and to get it out of the 20 MPH Raton and Glorieta passes. I know I will get "flamed" for this sacrilegious comment, but I like fast main line track and would like to see the SW Chief go through Oklahoma and all those interesting freight-only subdivisions, plus cut the running time slightly from LAX/CHI.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page