RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast line to reopen soon....

Author Topic: Coast line to reopen soon....
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... to limited service, pending complete repairs. See: http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/railroad/2005/0118_weather.shtml
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mr. Toy. I knew I could count on you to keep us updated on the situation. As I've said here, I've been hearing train horns at odd hours here in SBA. I have to assume they have been repair trains heading north and south. I really miss hearing that southbound 6:49AM Surfliner departure. It's my signal to get out of bed and head out on my walk. (Yeah, I'm retired and get to do stuff like that! Sorry, ChrisG, I spent 35 years in 7th grade teaching Social Studies. Your time will come!)

Frank in dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats good.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The local newspaper (Santa Barbara News-Press) reported this morning that it may be as late as February 8th before Amtrak service is restored. Their source was a spokeswoman at UP. They quoted her as saying that they were running some freights through "at greatly reduced speed". Maybe those are the horns I've been hearing.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
(Yeah, I'm retired and get to do stuff like that! Sorry, ChrisG, I spent 35 years in 7th grade teaching Social Studies. Your time will come!)

Frank in dark SBA

WOW!!!!!! 35 years teaching 7th grade. That qualifies you for some sort of medal doesn't it? Grades 7 is, to me, right in the middle of the strangest developmental time for young people. I'm 13 years in as a high school guidance counselor and can appreciate what a Herculean effort your career was!

Although summer vacation allows plenty of time for riding Amtrak and revisiting favorite tourist railroads, I'll admit that I'm pretty curious about trying to make a winter daytrip on the Rio Grande Ski Train...and I don't ski!.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The local radio news is reporting that Surfliner service will resume tomorrow, 01/25/05. They had no details, however about travel north of Santa Barbara and did not mention Coast Starlight service.

I spent those 35 years all at the same school, too, David. It was a great ride but I decided it was time to move on when I had a new student tell me that I had taught his grandmother. And I had...

Frank in Sunny SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Local radio is now saying that Surfliner service will resure tomorrow, 01/25/05. No mention of the Starlight or service beyond SBA.

David, those 35 years were a great ride and all at the same school. I decided it might be time to move on when a new student told me I'd taught his grandmother. And I had.

Frank in Sunny, Cool SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The Amtrak website now says that Surfliner and Starlight service won't resume until a yet to be determined date in February. I wonder where the local media get their information.

Frank in still trainless SBA.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Today the local media agree with the Amtrak website! They are now saying it will be February before there is a resumption of service north of Los Angeles.

Frank in soon to be wet again SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The lastest media reports here suggest that service from Los Angeles to as far as Santa Barbara will be restored on 8 February but that the Starlight (and Surfliners north of Santa Barbara) will not resume operation until 28 February.

Frank in wet SBA

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this means I was on the last Stalight to opperate, right? January 9 that imfamous day, when we had to stop (#11) at San Louis Obispo and be bused to LA was the first day of the line closure so I guess I was one of the last few to have ridden the Starlight.

The Starlight is not opperating north is it. Say from Oakland to Seattle and back?

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buses begin 1/28 LA-Van Nuys-Oxnard-SBA in the Surfliner slots (not 11/14) and SBA-SLO in 774/775 and 798/799 slots
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The "Service Alerts" are gone from the Amtrak homepage but if you go into the reservations area you will find this information:

Service Alert: Pacific Surfliner - Service to be Restored between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara February 8

Based on Union Pacific Railroad's plans to reopen the tracks along the coastline between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara to passenger train traffic, Amtrak will resume service to/from Santa Barbara on the Pacific Surfliner route on February 8, 2005, with the exception of trains 775 and 768, which will resume normal service on February 9, 2005.

Pacific Surfliner service north of Los Angeles was temporarily suspended on January 9, 2005 du to weather related track closures.

Service Alert: Coast Starlight - Service Will Resume on February 28

Based on Union Pacific Railroad's plans to reopen the tracks along the coastline north of Los Angeles on February 28, Amtrak will resume normal service on the Coast Starlight route on February 28, 2005.

Due to weather-related track closure, the daily southbound Coast Starlight Train 11 is currently operating only Seattle to Emeryville instead of its normal terminus at Los Angeles.

The daily Northbound Coast Starlight train 14 originated in Emeryville to Seatlle. Passengers from Los Angeles may transfer to a San Joaquin train connecting with the Coast Starlight in Sacramento.

The first northbound Coast Starlight to originate in Los Angeles will be February 28,2005. The first southbound Coast Starlight to operate through to Los Angles (sic) will depart Seattle on February 26, 2005.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation. I know a couple of your have said you have plans for Starlight trips in February. There is no mention of Surfliner service north of Santa Barbara but I would imagine that would also resume on the 28th.

Frank in temporarily trainless SBA

[This message has been edited by sbalax (edited 01-29-2005).]

kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trip leaves Portland on February 25. Sheesh.

Should I try moving my departure back a day (resulting in a Starlight-Texas Eagle LA connection?

Any chance the south bound schedule would be moved up earlier as time passes or is this a pipe dream?

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the line wil be open to Surfliner traffic on the 8th, why will it take another 20 days to re-open for the Starlight?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I questioned that as well, Mr. Toy. I suspect that what they forgot to mention is that the line north of SBA is not ready to open. Notice that the Surfliners will only go as far north as SBA and not on to SLO. Now that I think of it, why not to Goleta? Those ten miles of track can't be in that bad a shape.

Frank in dark and chilly SBA

travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called Amtrak and it looks like they pushed the date to March 1st. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the Coastal Starlight will operate south of EMY soon. I miss seeing the Coastal Starlight pull into SJC.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any way the Starlight could operate out of SLO town, or even San Jose? It seems to me the farther south it can go, the more money it can make.

I understand it is operating with a very reduced consist, to match greatly reduced traffic. If that is true, it speaks volumes about how the length of a route and number of stations served affects ridership.

bigskysaddles
Member # 3717

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigskysaddles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planned a trip from PDX to Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight 5 months ago-Got a call tonight from Amtrak saying that the trip had to be altered.We have made this trip many times before, and enjoy it immensley!!We ALWAYS get a roomette so we can enjoy ourselves and relax even more, not to mention the Parlor Car-Was told by Amtrak that the route will not open until AT LEAST march 1-Our new route will be PDX to Sac, then Sac through the san Joaquin corridor via train to Bakersfield, then by bus to Los Angeles...YUCK!The agent I talked to last night said that he thought they were being VERY optimistic about the March 1 opening date of the tracks north of Los Angeles.Keep your fingers crossed everyone!!

Posts: 4 | From: Kalispell MOntana USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Surfliner service LAX/SBA is set to resume tomorrow, 02/07/05 according to the local media. They are still saying 02/28/05 for service north of Santa Barbara including the SLO Surfliners and the Starlight.

Frank in sunny SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page