RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Advice on Train 55 Arrival Times, Please?

Author Topic: Advice on Train 55 Arrival Times, Please?
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be our first trip on Amtrak from Montreal (actually, St Albans) to Penn Station on #55, connecting to Orlando on #97.

For our dates, #55 arrives at Penn Station at 6pm. Our ride on #97 leaves a scant 1 hr, 5 mins later at 7:05pm.

Would you recommend we make overnight hotel reservations near Penn Station?

Any other pertinent comments will be appreciated.

TIA

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on my experience, the Vermonter is usually on-time, atleast the NB vermonter. The track through Vermont isn't Amtrak owned, but it doesn't see heavy train delaying traffic. One hour is usually a close transfer time for long distance trains, but the Vermonter is considered to be a medium-distance train, and isn't as delay-prone as long-distance trains. If it were me taking the trip, I wouldn't make hotel reservations, unless you don't mind spending the money and the extra day in New York. New York's a fun place to have a layover anyways.

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lot of padding on the Vermonter scehdule into Penn Station. I have been 20 minutes late at Stamfort and on time into Penn!

If you have the time and money to spend a night in New York, why subject yourself to an ungodly 5:35 AM bus connection ? Here is a much more civilized option: Take the Adirondak (#68) to New York. This departs directly from Montreal at a respectable 9:55 AM, arriving in New York at 7:40 PM. (The views of Lake Champlain and the Hudson River equal the Vermonter scenery, in my opinion.) The following day you have your choice of three departures to Miami, 7:45 AM, 11:35 Am, and 7:05 PM. I would suggest you do some sightseeing and take the evening departure.

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I see you are going to Orlando. This illiminates the 7:45 AM train from New York, which runs via Tampa.
Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We hadn't even considered the Adirondack, but it sounds like a better alternative and we LOVE the departure time from Montreal. Many thanks for the input.
Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page