RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anyone experienced this in the lounge car?

Author Topic: Anyone experienced this in the lounge car?
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past summer I was aboard the Coastal Starlight and the lounge car attendant brought platters of cheese and crackers from the sleeper car to the lounge car for coach passengers to enjoy. I thought that was nice of him to do that. And on my Southwest Chief route the cafe car attendant had free cups filled with party mix,and crackers packets as well.

Have you noticed this extra amenity? I think rail travel is better than the airplane because you get these mini perks. Was I lucky to get these extra snacks? Or does this happen on all trains during a happy hour? It was nice snacking while watching the movie I did not have to buy an extra snack. Very thoughtful.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the wine tasting on the coast starlight, they out some crackers in the Sightseer lounge. Just to get rid of them.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actualy the Wine Tasting is held in the Pacific Parlor Car, whitch is located just ahead of the Dining Car, The Lounge Car is Located right behind the Diner, Its a good place to watch a movie, see the Sights, Speacialy on the Starlight- Of course thats what it's known for!, Theres a Snack Counter Downstairs of this Car, and yes alcohal is availiable, but so are Soda, Candy, Lunch-like meals, some Breakfast meals (MicroWaveing included), and Chips, Here you may also pick up an Amtrak Cap, Blanket, Mug-if they have any-, and Playing Cards!- Batterys to are for sale at the Snack Counter AA only.

You'll find that most Amtrak Staff are very Friendy!, and may offer there Passengers these little extras time to time, once, the Magicion from the kidy-Car decided to do a few Magic tricks for the adults aboard besides the simple child show he was paid to do, he did a card trick for us, it was a much more difficult trick, and you had to have a good memory to realy understand it, it lasted about an hour, and he had a pretty good audiance for just the people in the Sight Seer Lounge- and once a Conductor gave me a free pen-light that was all blue and said: "Amtrak Coast Starlight" on it, and it wasnt just some little cheap breakable l.e.d. key-chane light, it seemed like a pretty durable well crafted Pen Light with a gold clip, so you can defanetly say that Train Travel is better that flight- but of course any RailFan here could have told you that from the start!-

-hope this anwers your question

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 01-24-2005).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I set my feet aboard Amtrak I was like "this beats air travel". Now after the 9-11 events I love the feeling of not having to wait in long lines. I got my tickets mailed to me and all I have to do is go directly to the bus or train. I feel so relaxed it's as if people are catering to me to make the trip relaxing.

I love being able to board The Southwest Chief an hour early relaxing in my seat before the train departs. You can't board an aircraft an hour early and get settled. I just put the legrest out and recline the seat while waiting.

I don't mind flying but if there is a destination served by Amtrak I'm on!!! Coach is not as bad as people think. I would rather be relaxing on Amtrak than taking Greyhound. People think Greyhound is a good deal but Amtrak beats it by far. The meals on Amtrak is better than those el-cheapo places you stop at on Greyhound. The seats on the bus are ok for short throughway connections but not on overnights. I don't know why busses don't add the same leg rest like on airplanes and on Amtrak.

Well anyways train travel is the way to go.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"The meals on Amtrak is better than those el-cheapo places"

[/B]

By the way you use the word "El-Cheapo" you make it sound as if all small Resturants were run by Mexicans, let me tell you something- they may be cheap BUT they work hard to make the small living they can, and they dont need people like YOU to staireo-type there culture.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 01-25-2005).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I have been using el-cheapo for years, and never considered it a throw off to the Mexicans. Maybe I have better check with some of my relative's spouses and in-laws that are. I thought it was anti-Italian. (JOKING!)
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Funny, I have been using el-cheapo for years, and never considered it a throw off to the Mexicans. Maybe I have better check with some of my relative's spouses and in-laws that are. I thought it was anti-Italian. (JOKING!)

I've always associated 'El Cheapo' with that tourist 'el trappo' known as 'South of the Border' just below the NC/SC state line along I-95! With Pedro as their official billboard spokesperson I suppose associating 'el cheapo' with that establishment could be considered hidden racism or something.

But the topic is Unexpected Extras aboard Amtrak. Three or four years ago when it was still Superliner equipped, my wife and I took a day after Thanksgiving daytrip through West Virginia on the Cardinal. (Huntington to Clifton Forge and return.)

The train was surpisingly empty....less than 35% occupied as far as I could tell. I guess those people who had traveled for the holiday were already at their destination but not yet starting home. The diner had a number of the chicken pot pies left over from lunch so, just to get rid of them, one of the stewards came through offering them free to the passengers in the lounge car.

That might have been one of the besst chicken pot pies I've ever eaten. Warm and tasty with cold West Virginia snow falling just outside the window. Maybe that contributed to the memory.......but nah, I think it was just the fact that it was free!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
El cheapo is Mexican? That's news to me. Considering the same word, or variations thereof, are used throughout South America, Spain, and probably other places too, I highly doubt it is a slur on Mexicans. The phrase is also used in the UK and we're a looong way from Mexico.

Love the attempt at "staireo-type".

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Sorry I did not mean it in a sterotypical way. I meant to say not to get in the trap of some place to eat that does not have good service. Not to put anyone down.
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not Anti Mexican nor Anti Italian...

This thread is rediculous!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's this I am reading about wine tasting? We are taking the Coast Starlight from Emeryville to Seattle this summer. Fill me in!
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a wine tasting each afternoon for sleeping car passengers in the Pacific Parlour Car. Usually three, sometimes four, wines along with cheese and crackers. Depending on the car attendant it can be very interesting or just a chance for a glass or two of OK wine. They occasionally have had some interesting regional wines including many from Santa Barbara County. They also make the wines available for purchase for consumption in the diner or on your own.

Frank in still trainless until at least February 8th SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The daily wine tasting on the N-bound CS usually begins around San Luis Obispo, and on the S-bd train, it usually begins around Salem, OR (of course, all this depends on how close to schedule the train is, but they DO have a wine tasting in the Pacific Parlour car (for 1st class passengers only) in the afternoon going each direction on the CS) -- the wine tasting is included in your 1st class fare, but if you want additional wine after the tasting, you'll have to pay for it.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page