RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What equipment is used on San Juaquins

Author Topic: What equipment is used on San Juaquins
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the San Juaqin should I expect the new Pacific Surfliner or the old California cars? I read somewhere that they have new California Cars on the San Juaqin? Is this true?
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are Cali cars, similar to the Surfliner...

Go to www.360360.com and look at the virtual tour of the trains coaches for details.

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So not the regular Cali Cars like on the Capitol Corridor train. They do not sell Business Class on the San Juaqins. Will I expect the old California Cars or the new Surflier Cars. I went to 360360.com and saw it and was amazed. What is different between the SUrfliner and the San Juaqins?

Do the Surfliner Cars have the continuious dinging bell when the doors are open like the Cali Cars? It can get annoying at times but I can deal with it.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Which tour do I select the old Cali cars or the new Surfliner Cars? Thanks
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about that one.

Im sure someone else will know.

Regards--anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cali Cars are differant from the the Surfliner cars in ways, they are differant on the insides, mostly with the interior and the Cafe Car set up, the Surfliner cars do not have any sort of ringing noise, a beeping noise but only while the doors are closeing, that and the Cab-Cars are differant, the Cali Cab-Car has its main HeadLights far apart, one on each side of the door, and there up higher, with it's horn mounted just above the door on top of the car while the Surfliner Cab-Car has its horns mounted just below the door and its head-lights right directly above them, each of the two lences are close together, but JKchubbes would be the one to ask about the San Juaquins

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Is train 712 operated by a Cali car or the new Surfliner? Anyone who rides the San Juaqin please let me know as this is my first time going on it. I have done the SJC-SAC-SJC route many times and was wondering if I will be on the same cars as I went on back in 2000 or will it be the new Surfliners. Any ideas on what to expect would be most helpful.

I read somewhere the Surflienrs are replacing the old Cali cars. And BTW on the Cali cars is there a way to stop the continuious dining when the doors are open and just beep when the doors close? If not then I will disable it myself as it's annoying for lots of people. How do i switch off the speaker where the ding comes from? Can one switch off the PA and thus stop the annoying ding ding ding every five seconds? I bet the conductors get annoyed by it too. Can I get the conductor to stop this ding at all stops? If it were my train I would rather have the conductor at each door helping the passengers than to have an annoying ding.

travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Will I be on the old Cali cars or the new Surfliners?
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you really cant ditermine if u have the newer cars its just luck. the San Joaquin and Capitol cars are mostly the old California cars, easy to spot by the corrugation further down but every so often there is a VERSION2 coach-cab-baggage with the smaller Corrugation. Check out my site for some Amtrak San Joaquin pics, i live in Bakersfield so i am very familar with these

[This message has been edited by chubbes (edited 01-26-2005).]

Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 66 California Cars, and only 12 Surfliners (2 cafes, 5 coaches, 5 cab/baggage, no business class). Odds of you getting Surfliner cars is obviously small.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the San Juaquin last week and found it to be a very nice train. The one I was on seemed very new and in good condition. There was no bells or anything like that. It seemed like your typical commuter train. The seats werent as spacious as coach in other Amtrak trains. They did not recline and there was no adjustable foot rest. I was only on the this train for about 6 hours. Also, the actual cars were layed out in a weird pattern: there were tables throughout the car for people to sit at. Kind of weird, if you don't know the person you are sitting across from for a few hours! Also the conductor on this train was great -- out of all the trains I was on he had the most amusing and interesting station stop announcements! Of course, if you travel this train every day I am sure those announcements become less amusing!
Have fun!
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Thanks for your help. I thought there is a bell that dings on doors when they stay open and quickly sound when they close. Maybe this function has been removed and replaced with the conductor's helping people with disabilites. It's been 4 yeas since I took the Capitol Train from San Jose-Sacramento has a lot cahnged on the California Cars since then?

Maybe I was on the first batch of Cali Cars(1990 circa). Any ideas?

chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes there is a ding-ding-ding sound when the doors are open and it goes faster a few seconds before it closes, the new cars have an annoying beep sound on the interior of the car when they close.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Who inveted this annoying ding feature? Some guy who did not have anything else to do? I mean the ADA does not require you to have a bell to sound every oouple of seconds when the doors are open or is there someting that I don't know about? Please reffer me to the article stating all doors on public tranist that are unmanned shall have a bell sounding at three second intervals, and sounding at one second intervals as the door closes? I don't know the full logic behind this feature. Subways that I have been on don't have it, nor does Caltrains use this feautre. So in my opinion I would not have this feature as it can be annoying.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page