RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » No more F40s

Author Topic: No more F40s
steamengine4449
Member # 1239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for steamengine4449     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that they are no longer using F40s is that true?

------------------
Steamengine 4449 over

Posts: 4 | From: Sac CA USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that a lot of F40s are at Amtrak's Beech Grove shops. Sometimes they are used during a power shortage (not enough locomotives on the system), and called when another unit breaks down.
The Cascades and Surfliners use F40s, and many were converted into Cab/Baggage (Cabbage) units.
Although Amtrak doesn't use many, commuter lines on the West and East coasts still roster quite a few. Many of those lines also use F59PHIs.

Here is a roster of Amtrak's motive power. Click on "Road Diesels" and look at the F40 columns:
http://communities.prodigy.net/trains/arstrmtr.htm#Diesels

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are still some F-40's being used along the NEC as emergency power. Along the in-land route Genesis locos are in use, but I read that lately the F-40's are going out once a week or so to keep them in working condition. They're not being used as much as a few years ago, but they're still around. Last time I was in Albany, NY they still had quite a few- I'll be able to update the situation tomorrow.. Also they're using Cabbage cards on the new Downeaster service.
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virginia Railway Express has leased two or three Amtrak F40s and painted them in VRE colors.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steamengine4449:
I heard that they are no longer using F40s is that true?

I saw one on the Surfliner line painted like the new engines...that was weird.

------------------
Buslady of SoCal
Long Live Crown Coach!

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page