RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Need Help, SoCal Rail Connections

Author Topic: Need Help, SoCal Rail Connections
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking a standardized test that will be held at several different locations. I would very much prefer to take commuter rail to get to any of these locations, however I have been having the darndest of times trying to figure out if any rail stations are even close to any of the possible locations. Any help is greatly apreciated (especially before Feb 1).

The locations are:
Long Beach City College (The liberal arts campus)

Los Angeles Convention Center

Glendale Community College

UCLA

USC

I have no idea if there is any rail connection even close to these locations or not. I live closest to the Fullerton Depot so getting to LA is no problem, but finding connecting trains (if there are any) be it Metrolink, or one of the many light rail systems is what I need to know.

Hope someone can help

Thanks.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could take the Red Line from Union Station and then transfer to the Blue Line that would put you within walking distance of the Convention Center. USC would be doable by DASH bus during the week. I'm not sure about the weekend. UCLA would be more difficult, but I would imagine there are buses that go out Wilshire Blvd.

Hope that helps.

Frank in finally sunny again SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take one of the Dash busses. They are only 25 cents. The A and the F go to the Convention center. From Union Station you would take the B Dash bus in front of Disney Hall on Grand and transfer (free) to the A. They run 6:30 am to 6:30 pm weekdays.
John

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also check out www.experiencela.com which is all about regional transit. It will help you with the other sites.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, City, for that last post. I found some very helpful information by using the link you provided. I'd always wondered if it were possible to get from Union Station to the Getty Museum on public transport and it seems it is. A little over an hour with one change of bus for $1.20 using a senior fare! Who says you have to have a car in LA?

Frank in now sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Great idea, Frank. I'm going to be down there myself next month so I think I'll do that on my free day. I have a ticket back to SF on Fri 2/19; sure am hoping the Starlight is back up by then. San Joaquin is OK but can't compare to the the CS.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the Starlight is up and running for you. The last I heard was February 28th but now I notice that all of the service advisories are gone from the Amtrak website. Perhaps they are doing an update. Metrolink is reporting that their service will be back to full schedule on Monday after the Glendale tragedy so perhaps Amtrak will at least be able to get the Surfliners running between LAUPT and SBA by February 8th as previously announced.

Frank in SBA where I really miss my trains!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page