RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » TR: Chicago --> NY

Author Topic: TR: Chicago --> NY
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once in Chicago I immediately went to the Metro lounge, walking through an amazingly packed train station, and gained admission because I had arrived on asleeper (though wasn't leaving on one); I checked my bags and headed out to do a little more exploring. I soon discoverd that it had snowed in chicago -- everything was an icy mess. I walked to millennium park and returned to the metro lounge. I watched some TV and overheard a woman next to me talking about snow in NY. This was news to me, and so I inquired how much snow I should expect when I arrived home the next day. She lauhged and said I probably wouldn't be arriving home the next day. This was news to me. Argh! I went to the passenger services room (along the way I found out that the line of people in the sation had been waiting for 4 hours as one train didn't show up so they were going to cram two train loads onto one train). The attendant here confirmed that the Lakeshore was not running and they offered to put me up for the night or put me on the Three Rivers, expecting this train to be very late and very crowded I took the room. I was given 46 dollars for food and cabs and a voucher for the hotel. The hotel was amazing. VERY nice. One of the nicest I have ever been to before. I did a little wandering around outside, checked out the Borders (i work for Borders) and got some dinner. The next morning I arrived back at Union Station, gained entry to the metro lounge again, dumped my bags and headed out to see some museums. I spent most of the morning at the art museum (I was almost kicked out after getting into an argument about my having an empty water bottle) then walked up to the natural hist museum, though I didn't enter as it was too expensive. I watched about 3 hours of law and order after arriving back at the station. I drank a lot of tea. My train left on time.

1/24 -- Chicago --> NY 959miles
(arr. an hour late)
Boarding my assigned car was like walking into a wall of heat. This car was HOT! It wasn't too crowded however, and even though attendant threatened that I would have a seat mate, I never did. Thankfuly in part because the seat next to me was broken and didn't recline. I spent most of the night speaking to the passenger behind me, and this was by far the most wonderful train encounter I had my entire trip. The heat however was practically unberable. I was down to my undershirt again. People were complaining. THe rest of the train was fine. I tried to hang out in btween cars but was asked to move along by the attendant. I felt it was in my best interests not to protest too much at this juncture, so I returned to my seat. Eventually the heat was corrected and by the middle of the night it became pretty bareable. Nothing really stands out to me about this trip, only some negatives. By the time we arrived in NY just about all the bathrooms were broken. Obviously the heat was a problem and of course we arrived about an hour late. But, I was just happy to be coming home, so this wasn't really much of a bother. And so, at 4:25PM my Amtrak adventure came to a close. I arrived in Penn station to find that I was just in time to catch my train home to Long Island. Thankfully because of the weather and most of teh LIRR schedule being cancelled or changed it wasn't too crowded. As I have mentioend there was about 20 inches of snow waiting for me -- such a way to end a trip that took me through so many various weather and time zones!

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great trip reports. I have read and enjoyed each of your posts.

I notice that you had supper at a Denny's in Sacramento. I presume that this was the Denny's adjacent to the Vagabond Inn. I've not eaten in that Denny's but have stayed at the Vagabond. It's my favorite place to spend a night or two off the train on the west coast. It's reasonably priced and close to the train station! It's also close to museums, light rail, government buildings, theatres, and shopping (quite possibly a Borders!) too.

I agree with you on the Empire Builder too. It's a nice train BUT that second day is very long with very little to look at once you leave Glacier Park. Imagine, had you been on this train westbound you wouldn't have seen that much.

Again, thanks for a great trip report.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 01-29-2005).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second David's post. I read them all and enjoyed them. I stayed at the Mark Spencer and really liked it. I booked directly with them on the web and got a very good rate and was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite when I arrived. They get a very intersting clientele. Lots of musicians and international visitors. Great location close to Powell's and some very good eats in the neighborhood. I walked there from Union Station when I arrived on the Cascades but, since it was drizzling when I left, only walked down to 5th Avenue (or maybe 6th) to catch the free bus back to Union Station.

I agree that the Metropolitan Lounge at PDX is very pleasant. I only wish there was a similar facility at LAUPT.

Again, thanks for the posts.

Frank in still trainless SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report Michael. I ll be doing a similar itinerary in August..NYP to Jax in coach, Jax to Lax in a sleeper on the Sunset. My next connection is a Bakersfield bus at 1:15AM, so unless the train is eighteen hours late(and it has happened)I should make the connection..San Jauquin to Oakland...about ten hours there..coach from Oakland to Portland on the Starlight, connecting with the Empire Builder(hopefully...bustitution probably in Klamath Falls)..sleeper on the EB to Chicago..Lake Shore back to NYC in coach..no hotels,just 8 days of train travel.

I m glad you enjoyed your journey. I wish I could afford sleepers for the entire trip,but the most economical and longest are the Sunset and the EB.

I m reading all your reports and smiling. I relate to that nive train rhythm..the meals, relaxing time in the sleeper,heading to the sightseer lounge car,etc,,and the wonderful feelingSleeping accomodations when you are about to go to sleep and you enjoy the solitude of lying in a moving bedroom on rail.

Sleepers are wonderful,but sometimes I have to coach it overnight, purely cost related. Ive ridden trains now for 15 years and i still find it tough to sleep next to a stranger. Of course being stuck with an attractive woman does make it easier,but nine times out of ten that is not the case. On the Superliners,like you, I will sleep in the Sightseer car. Its not too bad. On the single level trains there is no such option,and many nights I ve been seated with obese, inebriated or shall we say, people who do not believein taking showers. Once you go sleeper,its tough to go back to coach.

Great report, and it adds to my anticipation of my cross country journey later this year.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page