RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle Connections

Author Topic: Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle Connections
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my NARPass trip in April, I will arrive at San Antonio station from New Orleans on Sunset Limited at 2:50am. The Texas Eagle connection to Austin from San Antonio is 7:00am. I plan anyway to stay over in San Antonio.. but if plans change..how are passengers looked after in the Sunset Station while waiting for the Texas Eagle connection..is the waiting room secure for the semi-conscious snoozing patrons? Services?
Also, there is no mention of Thruway Connections in the National Timetable between San Antonio and Austin for those who wish to make a later than 7:00am departure by train. Am I stating the obvious here?

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there a few weeks ago. The station is basically a room with long bench seats (suitable for lying down on), a couple of vending machines, a telephone, a TV, and that's about it. People come and go as they please. There are no connections that I know of from San Antonio to Austin, although you could try the buses I suppose.

San Antonio is well worth staying for a day or two. Try the Riverwalk restaurants - a great setting!

Oh, and check the timetable. It's different to what is (was?) in the National Timetable - 7.30am departure instead of 7am. But check this with Amtrak.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>The Texas Eagle connection to Austin from San Antonio is 7:00am.<<

If you will be making the connection on one of the days when the Eagle splits off the eastbound Sunset (Tu,Fr,Su), don't bet on it! This train is notoriously late! But then, so is the westbound Sunset, so maybe you'll make that connection entirely in daylight!

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page