RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Seeking Trip Suggestions

Author Topic: Seeking Trip Suggestions
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings All,

I have some Guest Rewards Points just begging to be spent. I also have a wife willing to let me travel solo from roughly June 29 until July 5 or 6.......maybe 7 if I really need it. ("Guess you'll be calling up that Julie again" is what my wife says.)

So....EVERYONE, ANYONE, where would you go and what would you do if you had a week or so?

I'm interested in favorite trains, non-Amtrak rail enthusiast spots, historic stations, good deals on hotels close to stations that may not have already made it to Trainweb, interesting non-rail things to do, easy access to light-rail........things like that.

Here is my 'tentative' plan based on a weekend of contemplation, visits to Trainweb, Expedia, and the Southwest Airlines websites;

1) Fly to Kansas City

2) Use GR points for a roomette to Los Angeles on the 'Southwest Chief' and then to Portland, OR on the 'Coast Starlight'. Portland hotels? How about stopping short in either Eugene or Salem and taking the Cascades to Portland the following morning?

3) Fly to Salt Lake City and either A) rent a car to visit the steam locomotives at Heber City, Promontory Summit, and Ely, NV OR B) make the longgggg daytrip to Denver and back on the 'California Zephyr'. Denver hotel suggestions anyone? Can I do better than the downtown Comfort Inn?

4) And finally, fly home from SLC.

Again, nothing is solid yet since Southwest Airlines is not yet selling tickets for trips beyond June 6th. New ideas and suggestions are always welcome right up until the time tickets are purchased or GR points cashed in.

Thanks,

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 02-07-2005).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi David:
I like your option three because:

1) of the multiple rail and non-rail activities available in and around downtown Denver;
2) you'll have two daylight rides through a very scenic part of the system, and if you have a room on the CZ you'll have the opportunity for several meals thus making good use of your points...
3) there's a big railyard with an overhaed walkway near the Denver station and downtown and you could watch freight traffic galore;
4) a couple of interesting rail and transportation museums around the Denver area;
5) I think you are okay with your hotel choice although there is a Holiday Inn in downtown Denver that is a short mall bus ride (free) from the station. Not sure how the rate would compare.

I live in Denver, about a mile and a half from the station, so if you decide to come this way and are looking for more specifics let me know and perhaps we can email off list.

Meanwhile I am getting excited about my annual trip from Denver to NY with my 7 year old son. California Zephyr 3/25 to the Lake Shore Limited and then back a week later on 4/1.

Hope you have a great time regardless of itinerary.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

I really enjoyed my ride SEA/PDX on the Cascades so breaking the northbound trip at Eugene might be fun. I stayed at the Campus Inn last fall. You could, with minimal luggage or wheels, walk it from the station.

In PDX I stayed at the Mark Spencer in December which is on this boards Hotel section. It was very good value, especially since they gave me an upgrade to a one-bedroom unit with full kitchen. I walked there from the station but on the way back it was raining so I just walked a block or two to 6th (or maybe 5th) and took the free downtown bus.

I'm not sure how GuestRewards handles breaking a trip. The folks I've dealt with by phone there have been very helpful.

Have a great trip no matter where you head!

Frank in SBA where the Surfliners started rolling again today, 02/07/05.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second the Mark Spencer Hotel as a great place to stay in Portland. Shop around on expedia.com for a rate -- I got one cheaper than the one on the MS website. I was also "upgraded" to a room with a kitchen and a view of Powells...
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

I envy your plans. I'm a Salt Lake City girl who now lives in the Midwest and misses the mountains.

Is the rental car place open in Salt Lake City late at night when the train arrives?

I never made it to Promotory point. The road was flooded and started carry our little car away. In the spring there is sometimes a lot of runoff that causes flooding in the deserted flood plains. The road to Promotory gets flooded once in a while.

My favorite places to visit around Salt Lake City are the mountains, of course, the LDS Temple Square which takes me a whole day of site seeing, Antelope Island, which is 30 miles north of Salt Lake City.

My favorite place to stay is Little America. Just can't beat the red carpet treatment they give you. They run their business with old fashioned hospitality. The rooms were $98 last time we stayed but that was housing seven people.

The light rail TRAX is about four blocks east of Amtrak. It takes you just about anywhere you'd like to go downtown during business hours. It's been a while since I rode it but I think the schedule and maps are on utahbus.org.

Salt Lake City's downtown area around Temple Square has had a lot of renovation these past four years. It is clean, and easy to get around, as far as I remember. There are a lot of historical pioneer sights.

If I have the time my most favorite place to visit is the Uinta mountain range, especially in June, it's beautiful. There are many lakes and the mountains are gorgeous. It would takes about two hours each way.

Also, how are you getting from the Kansas City Airport to the station? Taxi?

I'm looking for ways to transport my brood of six from MCI to KCY and from the SLC Amtrak to the SLC Airport.

We were hoping to take a train ride from KCY to SLC but the inhumane night pick up times for both cities have made it difficult, so will be flying instead.

A word of caution, don't walk any part of the way to your hotel in Salt Lake City after nine o'clock at night, the station is just down the street from Pioneer Park which is the most dangerous part of Salt Lake City. Of course, it's been four years since I lived there, so things may be safer. Definitely take a taxi if you can at night.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops! Forgot to mention that KCY and SLC represent two trips I've been thinking about.

Deb

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iowamomofsix:
Oops! Forgot to mention that KCY and SLC represent two trips I've been thinking about.

Deb

Wow! How ironic is that? Maybe your earlier posts had a subconscious effect on my thinking.

My initial arrival and departure from Salt Lake City would be by air and I'll likely do an economy car rental. I'm also thinking that if I do the daytrip to Denver I would drive over to Green River to catch the train rather than face the abysmal Amtrak arrival/departure times in Salt Lake City.

I'm no fan of the Salt Lake City Amtrak station having stumbled off a nice warm train into a cold wind in SLC at 4:30am in April 2002. I caught a cab to the airport from there and paid $15.00.......but that was one person in one cab. I'm guessing you and yours would require two cabs.

As for Kansas City Airport to Union Station, looks like the city bus system has a route that will get me downtown Monday through Friday. Takes 90 minutes with a transfer. I would rather fly into St. Louis and take the train across Missouri from there BUT I don't want to risk wrecking the whole trip on a missed connection in KC the first night. (I have experienced the '16 people in a 12 passenger van ride across Missouri' to make that connection before and don't want to risk a repeat of that either.) I'd also rather get a cab from the airport to downtown KC (yes, I know it's like 30 miles) than pay for a hotel room in either St. Louis or Kansas City.

Thanks for your SLC suggestions......those are helpful.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Days Inn near the Airport A block off the Light Rail Line. I booked therefor the NRHS and they gave me a rate of $50 a night or 55 on the weekend. That is easily
half of the Mark Spencer.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Try the Days Inn near the Airport A block off the Light Rail Line. I booked therefor the NRHS and they gave me a rate of $50 a night or 55 on the weekend. That is easily
half of the Mark Spencer.

Chris

Good suggestion Chris. Thanks. I've read tremendous things about the Mark Spencer but this trip is about being economical off the train......any opportunity to get a decent room at a savings of $40-$50 a night is something I'll take a look at.

------------------
David Pressley

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The downside to staying near the airport is that you are not near the downtown attractions (Powell's, for example) but the upside is the ride on MAX. I took it from downtown out to the airport just for the fun of it and to get out of the rain. It seems to me it was about 35 minutes each way. You might find some fairly reasonable places to stay near the convention center or near the big Mall. They are both on the light rail line. Orbitz or Expedia are always a good place to start your hunt. That's how I found my hotel in Washington right at the Dupont Circle Metro stop for $89.00 on a Saturday night.

Keep us posted on your plans.

Frank in SBA waiting to hear that 6:49AM Surfliner horn tomorrow!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the rate I got for the MS on expedia was 59 dollars. After taxes etc it came to 67 dollars. I had originally looked at a hotel in Portland that was cheaper, but it was about 20 blocks south of the Mark Spencer. I find it easier to be able to walk everywhere and 20 extra blocks, with luggage, might have been too much for me!
-mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Christiansen:
the rate I got for the MS on expedia was 59 dollars. After taxes etc it came to 67 dollars. I had originally looked at a hotel in Portland that was cheaper, but it was about 20 blocks south of the Mark Spencer. I find it easier to be able to walk everywhere and 20 extra blocks, with luggage, might have been too much for me!
-mike

Thanks for your suggestions Mike.

I've been scouting around online again this evening. Expedia is showing a rate of $109.00 for the Mark Spencer the night I would be in town (January vs. July I suppose). The Days Inn just off the MAX (and I will likely be going to the airport in Portland) is $49.00 the same night. I've seen Travelodge in Salem about a mile from Amtrak that's $49.00.

I'll sometimes treat myself to a hotel with an exquisite location but some of the $60.00 I could save in Portland might wind up being spent later at, say, the Nevada Northern Railway Museum. I'd rather see that cash go towards keeping a steam locomotive in operation than my going posh in Portland.

I'll keep looking a while longer......admittedly, I would be very interested in the Mark Spencer if I could get in for $59.00!

------------------
David Pressley

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be going on the Coast Starlight to Portland, Oregon and then on to Seattle the next day, taking the Cascades. The last time I was in Portland (last year) I was trying to get to Powell's book store, but wound up in their "technology" store satellite. I hope to find the "real Powell's (massive) store this summer.
I agree with Iowa Mom...I used to always like to stay in a "Little America". One of my favorites is in Flagstaff, Ariz. So, if you go on the Southwest Chief, you may want to get off at Flag and stay at Little America & explore the area. Besides Little America, another interesting place to go is Percival Lowell Observatory, about a mile north of Flagstaff. Lowell's old library is there, as well. The observatory is surrounded by fir trees and is a good place to bring a picnic lunch. The observatory reminds one of a 50's era sci-fi movie..the classic white dome with optical telescope.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page