RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards - DEN to LAX via EMY?

Author Topic: Guest Rewards - DEN to LAX via EMY?
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of my Three Rivers trip, I'm trying to use some Amtrak Guest Rewards points to go from Denver to Los Angeles in a sleeper Bedroom.

The Guest Rewards operator said that my three choices are:

1. DEN-bus-RAT-train-LAX
  2. DEN-train-MTZ-train-BFD-bus-LAX
  3. DEN-train-SAC-train-BFD-bus-LAX

They refused to recognize an all train route:

• DEN-train-EMY-train-LAX

They said that because it didn't appear in their system, it would be considered two different trips. Apparently, they view a 5pm arrival and an 8am departure as a "stop-over" in this case.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, to explain that I wanted to take Amtrak in order to travel by TRAIN, not bus. After sitting on hold for several minutes, I was told that all supervisors were unavailable and they'd have to have someone call me back.

Is there any language I can use to explain my case and get what I want, or am I S.O.L. here? Any experienced help would be greatly appreciated!

(once I get this all settled out, I'll post a trip itinerary!!)

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your problem. I wonder if the system would recognize a trip from Denver to Portland via Emeryville. If it does, then you should ask what actual difference there is between taking the second train south and taking it north. If you are not satisfied with the answer, ask to talk to a supervisor.

There does seem to be some inequity in the reward's "zone" system. Some multi-train trips within one zone could theoretically involve two nights, while others would involve only one night, yet they would cost the same number of points.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you reach a supervisor who won't budge, consider the following "negotiation points":

1) If the past is anything to go by, there's a good chance the California Zephyr will arrive in California several hours behind schedule. Conceivably, you'll miss the connection to that day's final southbound San Joaquins, and won't be able to continue your journey to L.A. until the following day anyway. (Apparently, a variation of this argument sometimes works for Guest Rewards members wishing to transfer to or from the Sunset Limited).

2) As for taking the next day's Coast Starlight from Emeryville to L.A. . . . a sympathetic supervisor might be amenable to bending the "no stopover" rule if you're willing to travel south by coach, rather than sleeper. Empty coach seats, after all, are far more common than empty rooms. Especially on that particular train.

Granted, it's not an ideal solution if you have your heart set on "all sleepers, all the time." But that leg of your trip will be a daylight run. You won't want to waste it sitting in a tiny room where the visibility is limited. As for the Pacific Parlour car. . . sure, the furniture is nicer. But it's just furniture. The view from the regular Sightseeing Lounge is exactly the same.

I've always felt Amtrak should only prohibit Guest Rewards stopovers along a single route (for example, taking the westbound Lake Shore Limited from New York City, getting off in Cleveland, and then reboarding four days later to continue west to Chicago). When switching to a completely different long distance route (say, from the LSL to the Southwest Chief), a stopover of at least 24 hours should be permitted.

But that's just me.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-08-2005).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:

When switching to a completely different long distance route (say, from the LSL to the Southwest Chief), a stopover of at least 24 hours should be permitted.

But that's just me.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-07-2005).]

It would seem to me that a 24 hour layover at connection points would be encouraged. Save lots of misconnects. In planning a guest rewards trip of my own there is no way I would try to connect to or from the Sunset Limited. Too much risk of a horrendous misconnection messing up the rest of the trip.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page