RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » St. Louis Mule/City of New Orleans connection

Author Topic: St. Louis Mule/City of New Orleans connection
Robkno
Member # 3722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robkno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently scheduled my first lengthy Amtrak vacation (to New Orleans) for next month. I'm taking the St. Louis Mule from here in Jefferson City to St. Louis (scheduled STL arrival 8:45p), the thruway to Carbondale, IL (depart STL 11:00pm, arrive CDL 1:00am), and getting on the City of New Orleans in CDL at 1:26a).

My question is this: the Mule has sometimes been running 3 hours late in recent weeks. If I miss the Thruway, what happens? Does Amtrak make good? Am I just stuck for the night in St. Louis and have to wait another day to get to Carbondale and on to New Orleans? Am I a fool for letting Amtrak book me on this schedule or should I just expect it all to work out?

Thanks.

Posts: 11 | From: Jefferson City, MO, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some fat built into the schedule for recovery before arrival in St. Louis plus the two hour layover. I think you will more likely than not make the connection.

If you can, for peace of mind, you may want to depart Jefferson City 7 or 8 hours earlier on the 'Ann Rutledge'.

An afternoon spent touristing in St. Louis (ride the light rail, visit the arch, dinner and a movie at the Union Station complex.....etc.) This is all preferable to risking the entire outbound trip on a missed connection.

What will Amtrak do if you miss the connection? Hard to say. They may offer you a night in a hotel in St. Louis and send you by train 24 hours later. They may offer you a refund plus cab fare to the Greyhound station and tell you what time the next bus departs for the Big Easy. (Worst bus ride I've ever had came when Amtrak put me on Geyhound in Chicago to cover a missed connection to Milwaukee.) It depends on who is working when you arrive at St. Louis and how much authority they have.

If you opt for the earlier eastbound train from Jeffeson City and plan to entertain yourself in St. Louis, chances are that your layover won't be as long as you expect!

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 02-10-2005).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robkno
Member # 3722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robkno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I'll look into the earlier train. I certainly don't want to be forced to go all the way to NO by bus!
Posts: 11 | From: Jefferson City, MO, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Check the MOKS passenger coalition website.

I notice that the UP is doing a track blitz of the line between KC and Jeff. City, causing the train to replaced by a bus for a number of 3 day periods in March, April and May. I HOPE that this will help make time-keeping better?

Cheers!

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robkno:
I've recently scheduled my first lengthy Amtrak vacation (to New Orleans) for next month. I'm taking the St. Louis Mule from here in Jefferson City to St. Louis (scheduled STL arrival 8:45p), the thruway to Carbondale, IL (depart STL 11:00pm, arrive CDL 1:00am), and getting on the City of New Orleans in CDL at 1:26a).

My question is this: the Mule has sometimes been running 3 hours late in recent weeks. If I miss the Thruway, what happens? Does Amtrak make good? Am I just stuck for the night in St. Louis and have to wait another day to get to Carbondale and on to New Orleans? Am I a fool for letting Amtrak book me on this schedule or should I just expect it all to work out?

Thanks.

Just curious whether or not you've made this trip yet and how it all worked out?

Thanks,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robkno
Member # 3722

Rate Member
The trip actually went quite well. We took the advice of this thread and booked the 11:00am train from Jeff City to St. Louis instead of the 6:30pm, since the later train often runs very late and could've missed the 11:00pm thruway connection to Carbondale. (FYI--the late did arrive in STL at about 10:30pm, but I was much happier making the earlier trip than facing the stress of such a tight connection.)

We arrived in STL around 2:30pm (an hour late) and the new Amtrak station--much nicer than the old Amshack--happily allowed us to store our luggage. We spent the afternoon and evening in and around Union Station. The NCAA wrestling championships were in town, and there was lots of pleasant hustle and bustle around the restaurants, bars, and shops. Note: the movie theater there is close. It is rumored to be soon reopening, but nobody seemed to know for sure.

The thurway bus to Carbondale was actually a 15-passenger van operated by Vandalia bus lines. I mention that because it is much more difficult to sleep on a van bench seat on an 11:00pm to 1:00am thurway ride than it would be on a bus. Luckily I was nod off for about 30 minutes or so.

The City of New Orleans arrived in Carbondale only about 5 minutes late (1:40), and my girlfriend and I quickly found our way to our roomette. The small size is a bit startling when the beds are turned down, but it ended up being planty of room.

I was told--to my shock--by our room attendant that they wanted all sleeping car passenger to make our way to breakfast around 6:15. 6:15! After boarding the train at 1:40am! He explained that the train was running full with college spring breakers and that was the only way we could be guaranteed seating. Too tired to prod for later accomodation (and knowing I'd be hungry!), I agreed, slipped him a $10 initial tip, and went to bed.

We dutifully woke around 6am and went down the Sightseer to wait to be seated for breakfast, and were told seating would begin when the train pulled out of Memphis (about 6:50). The food and service were great and our table-mates were very friendly. Everyone aboard seemed to be headed to New Orleans for a great time, so the overall mood was jovial.

After refreshing showers, we grabbed a late morning nap and spent most of the rest of our day playing cards, listening to music, and sightseeing from our roomette. Lunch was served as we stopped and passed through Jackson, MS. I highly recommend the brownie dessert. Sinful!

Somewhere between Hammond and New Orleans we passed the northbound City. We arrived in N.O. about a half-hour early. All in all, a great rail ride.

The next time we make that trip (and we certainly hope the powers that be afford Amtrak a "next time"), we'll probably buy a $50 one-way airplane ticket to Chicago and take the City from there. A full night's rest in the sleeping car would beat the late night thruway ride and sweating the connections.

gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robkno,
Did you make the return trip via Amtrak? Just curious as I am considering making a New Orleans to Kansas City run in May. Also, does anyone know if the thruway bus to STL waits in Carbondale until the train arrives (in case its running late). I know that if I arrive in STL late and miss the morning connectin to KCY there is a later train, but I would hate to miss the thruway connection to STL and be stuck in Carbondale! (no offense to the fine town of Carbondale) [Smile]

Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page