RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Question

Author Topic: New Question
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there trends for ridership based on day of the week? For example, is ridership higher on Fridays than Tuesdays?

Question for Chucky and any other coach advocates, if we decided to take a shorter trial run would Amtrak let my brood reserve seats lower level since being near a bathroom would be a huge benefit?

You may have already answered that question in pasts posts, but I can't remember. How many seats are there in coach lower level?

Thanks,

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shhhhhh! Before you know it everybody on this board is gonna start thinking about sitting on the lower level.

You're going to have to ask the agent, Debbie, but I don't think they're going to let you make reservations for the brood, unless they happen to be elderly, handicapped or injured. One or two people, maybe, but not the whole brood.

My reservations tend to be made according to the price of the ticket at a given time. Prices fluctuate wildly, sometimes with absolutely no rhyme or reason. But if you are able to find a really good deal, there's an excellent chance that that day will be fairly uncrowded.

An agent will probably be able to help you answer that question more accurately. They could tell you, for example, that the Southwest Chief will be full of Boy Scouts between Fort Madison and Raton during a given week in July.

There couldn't be more than 16 seats down there, if that many.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe ridership is highest on Friday and Sunday (and even higher on certain holidays). This is definitely true on the Empire line in New York State, where ticket prices are fixed (they don't go up based on number of seat bought) but are higher on Fridays and Sundays after 11 AM. I think the same may apply to ticket prices on the whole NE corridor, but I'm not sure.

[This message has been edited by sojourner (edited 02-11-2005).]

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One time I rode the Starlight on a Wednesday, and it was the most sparsely populated train I ever rode. The crew said Wednesdays tended to be the slowest day of the week.

I have sometimes found fares to be lower on Tuesdays than Mondays, but not always.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iowamom: If you have the time to play with the Amtrak site you could find the answer to your questions using some specific dates.

For the lower level: enter your Depart and Arrival stations, Date, Time, and #Passengers on the home/res page and select "NEXT". On the next page click on the green square "View Seat/Room Options". You may then select lower level coach (same price) or bedroom options.

I tried it for 7 people on Mar 12 and the lower level was "sold out", but on Apr 12 it was ok.

As for cheaper times to travel, proximity to popular travel times is more of a factor than days of the week. I just happen to have been checking that myself. For a coach seat Ft. Madison-ABQ it was $82 Mar 3-5, $103 Mar 6-12, and $129 Sun 3/13 and after Mar 15. (Proximity to Spring Breaks?) For a roomette, Mon 3/14 was $163, 6 other days were $221, 3 were $279, and 2 (Thu and Fri) were $337.

Under the "Yield Management" pricing strategy, the price keeps going up as the rooms or beds get sold, and the price may go up an hour after you first look. Some days of the week may be cheaper if no one else has booked tickets that day. If you are home schooling, you may have the advantage of selecting cheaper times away from school vacations.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page