RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First trip

Author Topic: First trip
clevelandbrown
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clevelandbrown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are back from our first Amtrak ride, a short, but pleasant, trip in California.

We flew into LAX and took a series of rail lines to Union Station and on to Pasadena. The LA system is on the honor system, which is a good thing because it is hard to buy a ticket. From the airport we took a free shuttle bus to the green line. The bus left us in the middle of nowhere, but there were two machines to sell tickets, and a direct line to get advice. I called and the lady suggested a day pass, but wasn't sure about the local bus we would be taking in Pasadena. I turned to the machines and noted one was totally inoperative, and the other kept blinking a message that it wouldn't take bills; lacking $6 in coins, my wife and I just ascended to the platform, ticketless, as did everyone else I saw. When we had to change lines, they had some machines that were working, but they would accept nothing bigger than a five dollar bill. Having only a twenty and four ones, again we entered the train without tickets, as did everyone else. The next line change told the same story. When we got to union station, they finally had machines that would take a $20, but I was a bit miffed so I just bought local tickets and a transfer. Right after we got on the gold line train, they came through checking for tickets! With luck like that, I should have bought a lottery ticket, too.

After three days of museum visiting in Pasadena, it was time to take Amtrak for the first time to San Diego (actually SOL, which was more convenient for our son to pick us up). We took the gold line directly to Union Station, and since I didn't manage to get lost, we were there early enough to have taken an earlier train, but we decided to snack and see the station, since our son would be planning to meet the later train. We really enjoyed sitting around the courtyard at Union Station; they don't build impressive buildings like that anymore, but I knew that already as they converted our home station in Cleveland to a shopping complex quite a few years ago, and Amtrak in Cleveland is really bare bones now.

When they called the train, we set out armed with our tickets and photo ids (a habit from flying too much) No one would look at our photo ids, but they did direct us to the first class coach (I had splurged), which was virtually empty; we picked upstairs seats with a clear window view. During our two-hour voyage, there were never more than five people in the whole car, exclusive of the crew. When the conductor came by to check our tickets, I still had our passports out, so he checked our pictures and I felt safe.

The ride was great; we got to see huge industrial areas of LA, and then came out right by the coast and enjoyed that view. The ride was a little bouncier than I had anticipated (we were in the upper level), and I could never get my tray table to stay level, so my class of wine kept marching toward me and I had to drink it quickly to avoid a spill. The car was clean, but a bit worn. I walked into coach to see what we were missing, and it looked good to me, so I'll try coach next time. We arrived in SOL just about on time.

We took Amtrak because my favored airline (Continental) proposed to route us through Seattle to get from LAX to SAN. I looked at other airlines and found one that had a direct flight taking an hour, but when I added in the time getting to LAX, getting through Security, getting baggage at SAN, and getting from SAN to my son's house, the two hour Amtrak trip was quicker, and far more comfortable and scenic.

Posts: 15 | From: Lakewood, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear you enjoyed the trip. Hopefully, you'll make your next adventure a longer one.

As you discovered, there's very little difference, comfort-wise, between business class and regular coach. I suppose having an attendant provide paltry perks (such as bringing a newspaper or a drink to your seat) inflates some passengers' delusions of grandeur. But I've never understood why some people consider it the only way to go.

As for the "honor system" on the Metro Rail lines. . .

I've often had a good laugh at the way a train will pull into a station, an inspector will board and say "tickets, please," and an entire carload of clearly ticketless passengers will suddenly decide that. . . oh, right. . . this is their stop after all, and vacate the train like moviegoers fleeing a burning theater.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always nice to see people riding the rails

------------------
<a href=www.trainweb.org/coaststarlight99>
Check out my Site!E</a>

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, and I am glad to see you riding Amtrak.

I was curious as to how the conductor's looking at your ID made you feel safe. It seems to me that this contributes nothing to national security, expecially on a train.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clevelandbrown
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clevelandbrown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was being a little sarcastic about the security. We actually felt very safe and I hope the TSA doesn't do to Amtrak what they have done to the airlines.
Posts: 15 | From: Lakewood, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach walker
Member # 3712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach walker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually taking my first train trip from San Diego to Solvang this weekend and booked Business Class!

Tell me about the snacks, food and wine. I understand some of it is complimentary. Could you bring in your own bottle of wine too?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beachwalker--

Glad you're going to be able to make the trip. As I remember, you'll be making the transfer to the bus here in SBA.

In Business Class before noon there will be juice, coffee, tea and muffins available in the service centers on both levels of the car. In the afternoon there should be snack packs (chips, dip, cookies, etc.) and small bottles of wine will be offered. There is also coffee, tea, etc. If the attendant is not available you will be able to get the above by showing your Business Class stub in the Cafe Car.

Drinking your own alcohol is only allowed in sleeping car accomodations. If you are looking for something beyond wine or would like a Bloody Mary in the AM you can purchase that in the Cafe Car.

Have a great trip! If you have time in SBA between the bus and the train check out the station (1905 and restored about five years ago) and the Moreton Bay fig tree just to the west of the station. It is reputed to be one of the largest specimens in the world. It was started from a seedling brought here by a seaman.

Frank in soon to be wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page